Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard in the Wind
Went to Willard to do some early afternoon fishing today. I couldn't get the boat on the water , so I went to the north dike. 2 hours of casting into the wind produced 1, 2lb wiper and a 12" smallmouth.
[signature]
Whiper ?? Wiper you meant right LOL JK . Ive been trying to erase the elusive Whiper off my species list for years ..[Wink]
[signature]
There you go fishamaniac, I fixed it for you. Now you can resume your search for your whiper species.........Wait a minute.......I think I see one.......It's stuck to your shoe.......Catch it!!!!!!!!
Your search is over.....Glad I could help......LOL...... JK
[signature]
Whiper, Wiper what ever.
Any who, what lures were working for you this time of year? I haven't had much luck casting for Wiper this time of year. I mostly catch rocks. Is there a plug that works a certain depth that you prefer.?
[signature]
I like to use 3 and 4 inch tube jigs in pearl with black specks. 1/4-3/8" jig heads, depending on the wind.
I know a lot of people put their jig under a bobber, and this works, but I prefer to fish without a bobber. I cast and let the jig hit bottom, then jig it back at varying speeds till you find what they like. Use some crawdad smelly jelly to increase your odds.
One of the better crank baits are rattlin rapala's in a
RNR-5 and one size larger.
[signature]
Caught my first walleye ever at Willard, doing that bottom bouncing jig thing that you describe. [Smile] Glad you didn't get skunked!
[signature]
Thanks for the PM and the response here.
I have tried the jig thing to. Guess I need more practice.
Catching mostly rocks. They dont fight much but do seem to break me off more than I care to admit.[Wink]
[signature]