Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Finder for Stillwater Fly Fishing
I'm posting this in the fly fishing forum because I'm looking to upgrade my sonar for stillwater fly fishing using my NFO Assault XX (my favs are the High Unita lakes and Strawberry).

I've been using a Fishin' Buddy 140c, but because I'm usually in water of 30' or less (most often 10' to 20'), I seldom see a fish on the down beam. While the side sonar is helpful, it doesn't give information on the trout's depth, and I'm constantly rotating it looking for trout on the sides and back of the boat.

I'm looking at the Humminbird 570 DI in hopes that its dual-beam and down imaging will help me better locate fish around the boat that are within casting distance and/or to better know how deep to let the line sink.

Also, it appears that the color screen model with the exact same features costs an additional $260 ($280 vs. $540). Can that be right? Is a color screen that much better? It's a nice feature on the Fishn' Buddy, but I'm not sure it really provides any more information than the B&W screens.

Any thoughts on a great fish finder for stillwater wet and dry fly fishing on a 'toon?
[signature]
Nice meeting you and the wife Thursday. You know what I have. I would think color could be nice for different species. If they cost the same I would try it, but I just can't justify it. I don't see how it can make that much a difference.
I use mine more for depth though, which is a must for deep nymphing.

Just got my hubby a Humminbird 570. I wish he would have set up his boat so you could have seen what he has done to his XX.

I have also looked at this:

http://www.thefishinhole.com/index.cfm?a...t&se=20854

Could attach the transducer to the strap like on mine and had it all in one.
[signature]
Great to finally meet you and it was "inspiring" to see your set up. Gave me a lot of ideas about how to better attach my trolling motor and adding accessories to hold rod, anchor, etc. Great idea in your post to use the Scotty strap to hold both the display and transducer.

Yes, what got me looking for another sonar was your story about seeing on your finder a trout out and down 15', casting to that depth, and getting a hit. I'm also trying to to learn the technique for chironomids and would like a better view of the bottom and a more accurate depth reading.

My most common technique is to slowly fin around the lake until I see fish on the sonar (or getting a hit is even better) and then stop and fish that area for a while.

So would you recommend the Humminbird 570 for what I'm looking for?

By the way, why are we both not out fishing today?
[signature]
I went to Logan to get tomato plants for a great price. I am thinking of Carping it in a minute or two. DC tomorrow.

I am not up to date on the 570 yet. I like the wide angle beam and a great price at Sportsman. Hubby has been using an Eagle and not real impressed. I have had this 300 tz for about 8 years and love it, plus I catch fish where I read fish. I have great expectations for the 570. and I like the smaller base they have.
[signature]
Hummingbird 300 TZ ? or is it the 300 TX. The reason I ask is I could not find a TZ on line. I too would like to get a fish finder, but don't really know what to get, there are a lot of them.
[signature]
What can I say, the Z is right next to the X...LOL Yes TX. It is an older model, but has some top notch features. The "TRI" beam is sweet. I don't know if side finder would be much of an advantage to me. I cast straight out in front of me anyway[cool]
[signature]
I use an Eagle and it lies to me so much (there are not ALWAYS fish at 2' deep) I would never buy another one. Just my short review on the Eagle. Not real helpful just me venting.

Use an old fashioned fish finder... Tie on a fly and drag it around until you find fish.
[signature]
I was just trying to make sure, I hate to invent the wheel again . I trust that someone like you that has probably gone thru a few fish finders would know what works well , there are alot of different models in any line, and some have come ,and gone. If I hadn't got on this forum ,I probably would of got the fishing buddy, and sounds like some are not happy with it. I really don't know any other way to cast , then in front of me [Smile]
[signature]
True that. A lot of help here. Actually, this is the only sonar "I" have owned. No need to look any further. I have had others on big boats, but always like the Humminbird model.
[signature]
Thanks, I will look into getting a Humminbird 300 T whatever . Would of liked to have had one on the toon today, had tough time finding the fish on Strawberry today, did pick up a few, but it was a bit slow. It did not look like anyone was doing very well where we were at.
[signature]
+1 for the Humminbird 570. I bought mine about a year and a half ago and love it! Extremely accurate. I prefer the Narrowband over the wideband, but it'll do both. Different settings for the surface clutter. Backlight for fishing in the dark if you want. I have mine setup for my tube and for ice fishing. Ice fishing it was awesome! Could see the jigs bouncing and always knew when you were going to get a bit cause you could see it on the screen. Kind of cheating if you ask me! lol I wife enjoyed watching it though! Good buy for the money!
[signature]
Cabela's had the Humminbird 596c HD DI for a price that was too good to pass up so I went for it. Can't wait to see the Down Imaging views at Strawberry and know that I'm casting to targets rather than empty water.
[signature]
Ahhhh, but this works two ways. SEEING fish only to find you are throwing everything but the kitchen sink and no takes.[Sad]
[signature]