Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aluminum Vs Fiberglass
Pro's Con's? Whats your preference and why?
[signature]
[size 2]I lived 10 miles from the Oakland colosium when those damn Fing Traders moved to LALA land. [Sad][/size]

[size 2] I had two boats both fiberglass. One a 19' fish/ski and the other a redneck sparklely bass boat[cool]. I never been in an aluminum boat. I do like the thick thickness of "glass" as a safety feature. Dem thin walls are kinda scary.[unsure][/size]

[size 2]Forty Niner Faithful[/size]
[signature]
I owned a 16ft. fiberglass boat i gave it a pounding at yuba fishlake and especially at utah lake when i was caught in the middle of a sudden storm! The waves ponded that boat so hard i thought it was going to break in half but the old girl was a tough one. N ever owned a aluminum boat but from my experience from my fib.glass boat i think i would go with f.b.glass due to thre toughness. U did some boat shopping last year and found out most alum. boats had some leaks or repairs because of leaks. Just my 2 cents.
[signature]
Its just your prefrence.

Bolth are easy to fix, weld up a hole in aluminium, and patch a hole in glass.

Theres as many different arguments out there about wich is stronger, Some experts say aluminium, some say fiberglass, Bottomline is boats made from bolth materials last a long time and work well.

Rather than worry about the type of material, I would consider the actual construction and engineering of the boat.

Not all boats are created equal. Transom strength, Hull support and the materials used in construction are the items I would look at.

Lots of fiberglass boats use wood in the hulls and transoms. Lots of aluminium boats use composite materials in thier transoms. Some out there dont use anything at all, and thats scary.

My prefrence is not in aluminium or fiberglass, mine is in a quality boat.
[signature]
Well, Tracker boat company do make great strong aluminum boats, and I have my tracker 16 footer, and then one of my angler friend has a beater no name 12 footer aluminum boat which he has had for at least 25 years, then I have another friend who has a tracker deep v 17. I know we three beat it up shoreline fishing either for smallies, or full moon starvation right along the shore. I know that we race up the bumpy shoreline to take a leak up some thar hills. I haven't seen any sprung a leak on three of those alum boats yet.[Wink]

I keep hearing stories about fiberglass taking a beating and springing a leak more often than alumium boats.
[signature]
I've owned both and liked both, each did the job i wanted it for. I have to agree with preditor buy a good boat that fits your needs. My last boat was fiberglass and i owned it for about 10 years never had a leak or any other problems with the hull or transom, it handled rough water well and the ride was nice. But my Creastliner handles and rides just as good. You'll know the boat you want once you start looking to buy, there,s lots to look at. Wait till after the boat show so you can see some of them side by side. Have fun shopping and watch out for sticker shock, take your heart pills along. Hope to see your new boat on the water next spring.
[signature]
Have to go with the advice my Dad gave me on this one.

He owned a smokercraft (aluminum) for many years and our cousin owned a Lund dealership in Pierre, South Dakota, and his conclusion was this.

When he was a younger fisherman he found that aluminum was his choice - light weight, easy to haul, fished well, etc.

Now that he is older - 72 - he like the heavy, secure feeling of a glass boat.

In fact he wanted me to look into getting a Warrior or YarCraft. His comment was that even in the roughest water the boat didn't beat you up crossing rough water.

So it is aluminum for me now and I will have to look at the glass boat in about 15 years. That probably when I'll have mine payoff - LOL...[Wink]
[signature]
One difference I’ve noticed is the hull noise is much greater in an aluminum boat Vs fiberglass. During one trip to the Gorge in the latter part of April, our group had a fiberglass and an aluminum boat. We were fishing for rainbows, casting jigs and spinners into shore. We caught allot more fish from the fiberglass boat. At first we thought it was fisherman skills. So we switched boats and had the same result. So I guess if you want to run in stelf mode (running with the electric) fiberglass is the way to go. But I think there is a time and a place for both. I currently own an 18' fiberglass and if I were a rich man I would have both, all decked out with all of the toys.

Life' a dream when you're fishing!
[signature]
Predator is right on--more important than the tin vs glass debate is which boat fits your fishing style. Glass damages easier but is easier to fix. Tin is generally more durable, but tougher to repair correctly. And another segway of this debate is welded vs riveted alum boats. But the real issue is to find a quality boat that suits your needs.

I have a Lund and it does everything I need. It's tin, but I wouldn't call it light. And while tin is making big strides in matching a glass boat's ride, glass still has the smoothest ride since it's easier to form it to a more aerodynamic shape (though the new Tracker Tundra may take that advantage away).

So find a quality boat that meets your needs and you can't go wrong.
I have had Fiberglass, then two Alum boats.With the fiberglass I was always afraid of banging the dock,rocks on shore,etc.My current ride is a 17.4' Basstracker with that "smooth ride hull" that I have had out in all kinds of weather,and never got "beat up".But its also a matter of use,my boat is not as good as some of the fiberglass boats I have seen for trolling.
[signature]
Thank you all for the help!!!! After talking with the wife and showing her different boats, I have found one we both like and will be great for the rug rats to ride on as well!!!!

Its a combination, fiberglass and aluminum [Wink]

Early spring I will be in serious shopping mode for one of these.

[Image: 2485lsiangler.jpg]

[url "http://www.crestliner.com/boat_info/boat_model.asp?BID=22"]http://www.crestliner.com/boat_info/boat_model.asp?BID=22[/url]

Check out the spec sheet!!! Never seen a Pontoon with a 150 hp, but I'm game to try it LOL

Like I said, great for kids and family and great for fishing! I like the trolling seats in the back especially! How do these things ride?? Anyone have any experience with them? How do they handle rough waters?
[signature]
Man thats a nice ride,its amazing that wieghs less than my 17' glass boat,and the ride is hard to beat,they handle ruff water better than any v-hull made,and that 150hp motor should get you where your going pretty quick.

NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!,JMOA

Tight Lines

Tony[Tongue]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I've seen these type boats that are fully canvased that protect you in bad weather as well as a place to stay overnight. Looks like a good family ride. When we take it out will you bring the porta-potty please?[/size][/font]
[signature]
Yeah I'll bring it, but you have to empty it!!![Tongue][Wink]
[signature]
Here is a different brand, how much is that Crestliner Teroy?
http://www.suntrackerboats.com/index.cfm...6&boat=875

and here is one that is a little cheaper
http://www.suntrackerboats.com/index.cfm...6&boat=631

It does not have those nice rear facing seats but I'm sure they are a little cheaper. WH2
[signature]
never had to login before
[signature]
Thx for the options WH2. So far they look like they are pretty close in price, Sun tracker looks a little cheaper, but I don't think it is enough to worry about.
[signature]
I'll take you uup on that offer next spring Fishcrazy lol[Wink]
[signature]