Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek and Jordanelle Bass
Anyone noticed how bad smallie fishing has gotten at my favorite lakes?? Maybe I should rephrase. They are still fun and there are still quality fish in both of them but it's just not the same. It seems there are less and less fish of size and it gets tougher and tougher to target the big ones.. or even anything over 16-17 inches. That being said I'm curious about the largemouth fishing on both lakes. Anyone have any pics or experience targeting the largies here? I just figure they get pressured a bit less and I may be able to get a few more quality bites. Spent some time today fishing smallies on Deer Creek and even tried fishing some area over by the river inlet that looked to me like good largemouth habitat. I flipped a jig at the largemouth and never got bit. Caught some nice browns and rainbows searching for the smallies with a rattle trap but all in all have had a not so productive couple of days on these two lakes. Can't seem to find many bass.. So, long story short how are you guys being successful on these lakes!? Thanks
[signature]
I don't fish jordanelle enough to really have a feel for long-term trends.

I fish deer creek quite a bit though and I think the smallies are still there, but it has definitely been a slow spring for bass. I haven't caught many large mouths in deer creek for a few years. I'll pick up a handful throughout the year all over the reservoir.

I think things will start to turn on within the next 2 weeks. At least I hope they do.
[signature]
Give it a couple weeks, we've been up and down with temps and pressure. Jordanelle and DC are high mountain bass lakes compared to the rest of the country, it kills me sometimes but it's worth the wait and it's not far away.
Not saying you can't get into them now, of course.
[signature]
I leave for work most summers and if I am able to stay I usually work too much to really get to fish. That being said I don't get to play those dang Bass' waiting game! I wish I could. I figure if I can find them now I can learn to become a better tournament angler. I might be pushing my luck on these two lakes but what the heck.. It's all I can do haha. Have you ever fished the inlet?
[signature]
it was cool to meet you on Saturday, let me know if you were able to hit that spot I gave you...it will be warmer this week and I expect the action to pick up...that dang cold front ruined it.

Smile
[signature]