Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell - Hite - May 3-5
We were fortunate to hit Lake Powell this weekend and went to Hite as per Walleyebob's suggestion. Good choice because it produced! We ended up with 6 species; LMB, SMB, walleye, sunfish, crappie, and catfish. No stripers[frown] I had a goal of catching a fish on a top water lure and was even able to do that. In fact, that out fished everything else 10:1 the last morning we were there. But how fish get off of a double treble hook lure is a mystery to me. If you couldn't keep those largies down, 9 times out of 10 they would throw that lure when they jumped out of the water. As for bait of choice, in my opinion, size, color, or lure type didn't even matter. You probably could have caught fish on a bare hook! North wash canyon was the best for us but trachyte, farleys, and four mile canyon also produced well. The only complaint was the constant wind. Other than that the fishing was phenomenal. Any fishing up north will feel like a slow day of fishing, I'm sure, after going down to Powell.
[signature]