Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utah's Fishing at Its Best Anderson Meadow, Labaron Reservoir, and Puffer Reservoir Fishing Adventure
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]October 11-12, 2003 [Smile][/size][/font][size 1]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][/font]

[/size][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]The day started just like another other day in Las Vegas except I was going to go fishing in Utah. It was a toss up to go to Boulder Mountain or Beaver Mountain Area. Both have plenty of lakes to choose from and lots of fish just waiting to be caught. I would make my assessment by the time I reached Cedar City. I knew Lower Barkers Reservoir would be higher than Labaron Reservoir, which would mean it would most likely be cooler. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]As I drove I noticed the wind kicking up through the pass at Apex. This was not good news so I was hoping it was through Utah by now. The drive to St. George was pretty uneventful. When I got there it was a real nice day. I stopped a Wal`mart to get some more hooks. I bought 2 packages of 20 each. This will be important later. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]When I got to Cedar City I noticed the coolness in the air and the smoke coming from the wood stoves around the city. I decided that I would go to Beaver area instead. When I got to Parowon I was starting to get worried. The fields had some white stuff coming out of the irrigation systems. Yes, it was ice. Burr… that’s cold! It must have gotten cold last night. As a good Scouter I would be prepared for the cold weather. As I got into Cedar City the same could be said for the weather. I stopped at the 66 Station before I went up the mountain. I [/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]noticed the temperature gauge showing 34 degrees. I bought some gas and worms, for the brookies I would catch, and went up the mountain. Going out of the city I saw a fence that had been hit with an irrigation sprinkle and it was a beautiful site. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][Image: bm100.jpg][/size][/font][size 1] [/size] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]Kind of like this[/size][/font][/center]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]The whole fence was white with icicles hanging from every inch of the fence. I finally started up the canyon low and behold what a site. [/size][/font] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][Image: bm1.jpg][/size][/font][/center]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]The oak trees were changing color. I came just in time. The magnificent leaves of different colors from yellow too red. It was so beautiful to see! I can’t wait to observe the aspens and their colors as well. They didn’t disappoint me either. What a great site to see them change. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][/size][/font] [center][Image: bm2.jpg][/center]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]So I drove further up the mountain through the leisurely fallen aspen leaves and along side the swift moving Beaver River. At this instance I realize that it is going to be a breathtaking and tranquil weekend. No freeways to battle, crazy drivers gesturing to one another, work, football games on TV, NASCAR, or baseball. Wait a minute! I will miss my football and NASCAR but they will be there for me next week. I really needed to go camping and get away from it all. You see I like camping year round and least every month for the solitude I will receive. As I traveled up the mountain there was beauty along every turn. All the campsites this time of year are closed so I would have to make due with the primitive campsites along LaBaron Reservoir. As I drove next to Little Reservoir [/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]there were a few people fishing it. I didn’t stop but continued until I got to Lower Kent Lake. I looked over the area and found no one was there fishing. I continued through the canyon in anticipation of getting to Anderson Meadow. I wasn’t disappointed at the view from the roadside of Anderson Meadow. [/size][/font] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][Image: bm201.jpg][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][/size][/font][/center] [center][Image: bm204.jpg][/center] [center][/center] [center]These photos of Anderson Meadow were a previous trip to the area.[/center]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]This lake partially surrounded by soaring pine trees and a large meadow leading to the lake. I saw several men fly fishing here on tubes. As I drove by one angler was landing a rainbow Trout. I honked and waved as I went through. The next sign told me [/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]that it would be 4 miles to Labaron Reservoir. All of a sudden out of the forest came a doe. [/size][/font] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][Image: bm10.jpg][/size][/font][/center]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]At first I didn’t recognize why the doe didn’t scurry off however I finally saw that her fawn was grazing below the road and she [/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]wanted to make certain she stayed close. [/size][/font] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][Image: bm11.jpg][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][/size][/font][/center]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]I waited for her fawn to cross and then continued on. When I got to the turn off for LaBaron Reservoir I missed it by a few feet so I started to back up when I almost hit two girls in a red Dodge Ram pickup. Who figured there was anyone following me? Well I said I was sorry and they said that was entirely aright. They asked me if I knew where the lake was since they were meeting their husbands there. Well I told them it was right below us on the road I just missed. They thanked me and said to have a great day. Boy! If that had happened in Vegas I would have been called every name in the book and a finger gesture too. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][/size][/font][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]There are only 4 campsites that have fire rings around them so I got the second best with this view. Wow! What a view! [/size][/font] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][Image: bm3.jpg][/size][/font][/center]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]Breath taking isn’t it. I can’t wait to hit the lake fishing but I must get the campsite in order. I finally started fishing approximately at 11am till around 3pm. I didn’t even get a bite. I tried worms, Power Bait, lures, and some different colored wooly buggers but got nothing. I went back to the campsite and started dinner. Around 4 while dinner was cooking I went down by the Dam and fished there for a while. That’s when I caught my first fish a 12” rainbow on Grape twist Power Bait. Something took my worm also. [/size][/font] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][Image: bm7.jpg][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][/size][/font][/center]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]I continued to fish and I got an additional, but smaller rainbow. I decided to head back to the campsite and have dinner. The stew I made was ready to eat so I started a fire so I could have dinner watching the sunset and the daylight come to a close. Off in the distance I could see several cows grazing in the meadow across the lake. Finally I noticed some deer approaching from the forest of pine tree across the lake to graze and get some water. [/size][/font] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][Image: bm4.jpg][/size][/font][/center]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]Wow! Can this weekend get any better? [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][/size][/font] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][Image: bm5.jpg][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]See Part 2 of my adventure. [/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4]Coming Soon![/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Comic Sans MS"][size 4][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][Wink][/size][/font][/center]
[signature]
WOW nice pics and good report but now you have got me interested, you need to finish the story.
[signature]
Nice pics, but I think he's writing us a book! Keeping me on the edge of my seat!
[signature]
[size 4]Hey Icefool thanks for the kind thoughts. I posted the second part. Enjoy!![/size]
[signature]
[size 5]Hey FlyFishingMoose Thanks. I hope you like the ending I posted. It was a great experience![/size]
[signature]
Hey Guys thanks for the great remarks, It's not often we get reports from Southern Utah.
[signature]
Yup, part 2 was as good as part one, still thing you should have it published in a fishing magazine
[signature]