Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camera > Flies
Been tying for a little bit, got a new camera and thought I'd try it out seeing as though it says it takes Macro shots from 1cm... Didn't actually do to bad! I'm thoroughly impressed. And the flies are meh... Smile Sizes ranging from 14-18.

[Image: DSCN0163.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0162.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0158.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0157.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0165.jpg]
[signature]
Looks great on all accounts.
[signature]
Why thank you. Camera is a Nikon AW100 if anyone is interested in buying a fully water proof, shockproof, and freeze proof camera. Does 1080p video as well for the under water shots. Gopro's are great, but can't beat the image or sound quality of a P & S.

I gotta few questions on the Irish Spring you tie up. I might just be using the wrong wing material for it. But how do you finish off after tying in the wings? I'll post a pic later.
[signature]
I use many different materials for the wings. Antron, Para-post even yarn in white. Tie it in Wulff figure 8 style. Or, White Ostrich tied softhackle style. Then fold over the over wing material like on a PT. I use different material for the overwing as well.
Holographic tinsel in Peacock is cool, Pearl Mylar, Thin Skin, Turkey feather of Pheasant tail.

[Image: 9500.jpg]

[Image: 10500.jpg]
[signature]
Someday I hope to be as good as you guys are, wow those all look amazing!
[signature]
Light blue paper for a background will make your macro fly picture pop!
[signature]
Is that a Ray Charles .. Nice I haven't seen one of those in while, great memories on that fly.
[signature]
That was my first attempt at tying one. Never fished it before but heard great things about it and producing a lot of fish.

One of these days I'll get an actual fly tying station setup that will make taking pics easier. I just snapped a few quick shots on the tripod. But I appreciate the advice. Will definitely have too try it out. Mess with lighting a little bit.
[signature]
Ad me to your list of admirers. Those look like great flies and fantastic pics.
[signature]
Here's from tonights session I had. Some cool, some ugly! Big Grin

[Image: DSCN0270.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0272.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0273.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0274.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0275.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0278.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0282.jpg] [Image: Bogger.jpg]
[signature]
Awesome!! You are light years ahead of me on tying.
[signature]
Dude, those look great. Like most people are saying, you're light years ahead of me as well. If it ain't on a size 14 or bigger, I usually don't tie it.
[signature]
keep um coming! they are looking good. Macro lenz is doin the job. seriously, try to find some light blue paper,it will blow you mind, the defenition it makes.
P.S. that last Bugger is perfect.
[signature]
Thanks for all the kind comments! I just keep trying to tie different things. Running out of ideas! Anyone wanna help me out on some flies that really work for around here. River or Stillwater.

I actually did look around for something baby blue before I started. I couldn't find anything around the house. I'll have to hit up Wallis World for some poster board or something.

Here's a flew more I tied up. Having a hard time with finishing off behind the cone with eyes. anyone have any suggestions?

[Image: DSCN0284.jpg]
[Image: DSCN0286.jpg]
[signature]
Your post inspired me to try something stupid, and now I challenge you: The Senko Fly. I just wasted two hours of my life and ended up with a pile of crap with two hooks on it. Knowing what I know about you, you could probably come up with a dandy. Let's see it!

Rough Draft:
[Image: IMG-20120527-00926.jpg]

Wet, after tub-test:
[Image: IMG-20120527-00929.jpg]

Final:
[Image: IMG-20120527-00930.jpg]
[signature]
[quote SatanLBZ801]Thanks for all the kind comments! I just keep trying to tie different things. Running out of ideas! Anyone wanna help me out on some flies that really work for around here. River or Stillwater.

I actually did look around for something baby blue before I started. I couldn't find anything around the house. I'll have to hit up Wallis World for some poster board or something.

Here's a flew more I tied up. Having a hard time with finishing off behind the cone with eyes. anyone have any suggestions?

[.IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/BLKTeg-94/Fishing%202012/DSCN0284.jpg[/IMG]
[.IMG]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g36/BLKTeg-94/Fishing%202012/DSCN0286.jpg[/IMG][/quote]

Fantastic ties. Behind cones, I use a bead. Fill the cone cavity. Unweighted, inexpensive, plastic or metal bead.
[signature]
Those two are really nice and I love that cone head where did you get that at?
[signature]
Meh, you can find those almost anywhere. I'm not going to mention where I bought them from cause I paid WAY to much but didn't know it at the time. Shop around online!
[signature]
Probably need a few more Utube demos - but riddle me this - all those beads and heads - how do you get them on the hook?

I've been trying some - but have a hard time getting them over the barb or around the bend. I know a lot of fly-ers like to go barbless - but do you bend a hook straighter, then back?
Maybe my beads don't have big enough inner diameter...

as said, nice work. so where do you get your patterns from? I've got some books I've looked at to get ideas, and then go off and make something completely different!!
TroutBumDave: haven't been ignoring ya. Thinking of a better way possibly. I found a few cool designs online, but don't hook in the middle like yours does from the looks of it. I think I'd rather fish from the front of the fly, weight it, then have some foam or whatever will float at the end and bottom bounce it.

CoyoteSpinner: I do smash the barn when needed. Otherwise just force them on with some assistance from the vise. Glass beads tend to break when ya do that though.

I get most of my patterns from websites that sell them mostly. Orvis, etc. Find something I want to replicate that I'm seeing on the rivers as I'm fishing. Figure out what material I have and make it work! The ugliest flies seem to catch more fish so. Never a bad fly per say.
[signature]