Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
100 Best Bass lakes in the U.S.
Bassmaster just made a list of the 100 best bass fishing waters in the U.S. and I want to note that our Colorado River Chain of lakes was included in the list.

#97 was Lake Mohave
[inline LakeMohavetop100.jpg]

#59 was Lake Powell
[inline 59-lakepowell-.jpg]

#38 was Lake Mead
[inline LakeMeadtop100.jpg]

#33 was Lake Havasu
[inline LakeHavasutop100.jpg]

We have a vast bass fishery within our reach. Go get 'em!
[signature]
Thats awesome, knew the fishing was good out here but not that good. I would have to assume stipers account for a good part of that ranking. Im ditching work tomorrow to go out to #38 for some LMB and SMB action.
[signature]
I want to hit Havasu something bad one of these days. LONG haul down there though for a one day'r. Might have to dig into what there is for campgrounds and make it a couple night'r trip. I don't need electricity and tenting is fine with me. I just like to be near the boat since the locks on storage areas are not worth shiot and I wouldn't trust parking it in a lot and doing the hotel thing with all of my stuff in it. PITA to have to unload everything.

Anyone been down there? Best fishing is?? North end, south, etc? Camprounds that are generator friendly with a launch ramp near?
[signature]
Camping at Windsor Beach is OK and you can have your rig right in the site. Windsor Hotel is OK also and has facilities for bass boats. Room is around $40 to 45. You can primitive camp north of town at the boundary line, but it will be dirt road access. Cat-Tail cove is expensive for what is offered IMO. For a day trip I like launching at Site Six.

Different parts of the lake are better or worse at different times of the year. Later in the season is a good frog bite.

Another alternative is to launch at Park Moabi south of Needles and run the Needles Gorge fishing the off channel backwaters. Don't mount your good stainless prop for this as there are many sandbars.

I'm surprised Mead got ranked higher than Lake Powell.
[signature]
Since this is a Bassmaster list, I don't think it accounts for Stripers. I figured Lake Mead had to be a decent bass fishery if FLW brings tourneys there. I'm still a bit surprised at Mead's relatively high ranking, but I believe it. Thanks for the info.
[signature]
Agreed - I think Powell is better than Mead too. Love 'em both though.

Havasu is a blast. I love fishing there any time of year. It is an awesome multi-species fishery. From my experience, the South end of the lake is way better. Cattail Cove is the best place within 200 miles for giant redear sunfish, and the bass fishing can be phenomenal. This is the time of year to get down there. The redears are staging for the spawn, and you can catch 3lber's. The largemouth spawn should be about over down there by now, and the summer bite is about to get underway.... I like Havasu a lot. Can't wait to go back.
[signature]