Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Ocean fishing trip
Went out on the ocean for the first time today in San Diego. Posted a report on the Cali boards:

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=743617#743617"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/...i?post=743617#743617[/url]

Had a good time, I think I'll have to save up for some longer trips in the future. It sure is a long way down though, my arm was aching from holding the pole, partially because I'm just slightly too short for the railing around the boat, and it's a long way to reel the fish up.
[signature]
Thx for the report. I'm headed to sanfran in July and want to book a day of fishing. I've only been on one charted ocean trip. It was Hawaii last yr-we only hooked into 1 fish and fought it for just a few minutes before it came off, we were chasing the big swords.
[signature]
Big fish would be awsome some day. I would settle for slightly larger if we can catch as many as we did this trip. You could drop your bait down and as soon as it touched bottom and you took in the slack you could feel bites.
[signature]
that's more of what I would like to try this time. We saw a huge pod of spinner dolphins, a bunch of pilot whales off and on so the trip was great. this next time I would like to just catch some fish and make take a few back to eat[cool]
[signature]
Its always fun to go out on the party boats. I will be going out for a day out of Long Beach in June.

Windriver
[signature]
The long range trips out of San Diego are incredible! Pulling on tuna till your arms fall off!!! [fishin]
[signature]
That's something I really want to do as well! Any good charters out of san fransisco? Headed there mid july
[signature]
Thanks for sharing the info. I am planning a trip down to San Diego next month for a half day fishing trip. It looks like there are three charters that offer half day open trips. Is there a reason why you chose H&M instead of the other charters? Any other recommendations?

Thanks
[signature]
One of the good things about living down there was the fishing! About the only thing I miss!

Thanks for the report
[signature]
We looked at reviews on some different web sites and pretty much had it narrowed down to H&M or Point Loma. Both have similar trips but Point Loma doesn't do a morning and afternoon 1/2 day during the week yet, and neither are doing twighlight trips yet.

Read a lot of reviews, checked out a few on the Cali BFT boards but they were a few years old, and just decided on H&M. Some reviews were good for each and some were pretty bad. It prepared me a little bit as far as what to expect in fees for the bag and food, and it prompted me to be happy and personable to the crew and cook. I don't know how they treated all of the other passengers but we had a good time chatting with the cook for a while and the other guys were really good about helping with hooks and tangles and tips. Basically started the day happy and excited and it made us people that were pleasant to help (they also helped and flirted with the hot girls, but I can't really blame them there).

We had a good time. If my wife wasn't sick and we had caught bigger fish we would have gone again for the afternoon trip at half price and used more of our Cali day license.

There were only a few negatives:

The Landing office people weren't all that fun, sure it was 6am, but they didn't seem to care very much. They might have been in a bad mood because the 3/4 day didn't have enough people and they had to cancel it which made for some unhappy customers.

They put your fish into burlap sacks with your number on them and I would have preferred it if they kept the sacks wetter and out of the sun more to stay as cold as possible

When filleting. the fish they are very fast but wasted more meat, particularly rib meat, than I would have liked. I might just have the small ones cleaned next time and only fillet big ones.

Lastly, when we were getting off the boat there was a smokin' hot girl in a bikini ready to get on for the afternoon trip. It would sure be handy if they would put one of those on every trip Smile
[signature]
Thanks for the info. I'll be fishing with the father-in-law, so it would probably be a lot safer for me to find a boat without the smokin' hot girl in a bikini. [angelic]
[signature]
I fished off the oregon coast last year for albacore tuna. had a blast. here are a few pics
[signature]