Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warm River
So I went and fished up near the spring this past weekend and had no success. So on my way home I decided to just stop in the campgrounds and fish a bit and caught a couple. So I went back the next day and caught about 10 fish in an hour. 1 Brown, a few rainbows, and mostly white. All of these were caught nymphing.

So last night I went back a third time because I was having good success and since I'm new to fly fishing, I just enjoy catching fish. The fish started to really rise and so I fished drys for my first time because last year I only nymphed because of the high water. I also just started tying flies and put on a fly I had tied the day before, a kind of adams/BWO cross, and I caught a 16 inch rainbow. I didn't know they were that big at the campground. It was really neat to see a fish that size rise and hit a fly I had tied myself. Just thought I'd share the experience.
[signature]
That is really cool. There is nothing like the rush of your first fish on a dry you tied. Way to go!
[signature]
Congrats! The campground area is a great spot to catch a lot of fish. Warm river has some occasional big fish if you know where to find them.
[signature]
Awesome report! I love reading about people getting out there and trying new things and finding success! Nothing is cooler than doing it on your own like that! ChrisTheFish has fished Warm River a fair amount lately as well and done great - a 16" rainbow is a great catch by anyone's standards!
[signature]
Thanks guys! How big of a trout have any of you caught or seen caught in the campgrounds? Also I've only seen brown, bow, and trout there. Are there any others there? As far as big fish if you know where to look, any suggestions?
[signature]
In the campgrounds my biggest is about 16". On warm river my biggest is 21". There are a lot of white fish around the campgrounds.

As far as finding the big ones...that's a secret I only share on the water!
[signature]
Welcome to the world of fly fishing ![cool] and thx for sharing your experience. I grew up learning how to fly fish down below the confluence. Largest fish I've seen out of there was a brown my dad landed. This was 20+ yrs ago, we were camping and he decided to keep and cook the large male. I remember it was 27" and when he cleaned it, he noticed a large bulge in its stomach. Well, it was a partially digested chipmonk! [laugh],,,,crazy eh! I love that area and glad you have found some willing to hit the dries-nothing like catching fish on something you made!!
[signature]
there are alot of big fish in the warm river. I probably saw you there as I was there last week most days and also monday. There was an epic caddis hatch coming off monday evening. Too bad I wasnt interested in fishing it. Me an FlyFishingFool were totally focused on something else on top. Smile I lost PIG of a brown monday. I am pretty sure he was in the 20-21 range.
[signature]
jabink- If there were two of you I think I may have seen you then. I only saw one group of two people, the other two groups I saw each had three people. Ya that caddis hatch is when I switched over to dry, I had an elk wing on there but nothing happened. So just for fun I put on the fly I had practiced tying which was a mayfly but it worked anyways.

I checked out your blog. Pretty cool. My wife is actually from Lancaster PA. Never fly fished there but when I was there last I really wanted to. Maybe someday I'll run into you on campus and you can teach me how to fish. Any recommendations on where I could wade right now? I'd like to hit up bitch, I've heard there are some awesome cuts there.
[signature]
If it was two guys wading and covering water pretty fast it was us. No matter how much I wanted to stop and fish the caddis hatch, I couldnt bring myself to switch over.
[signature]
I grew up in Salt Lake City, but have spent my summers fishing the Warm River for the last 20 years. My family owns the land @ the confluence of the Snake up river past that big ol' bridge. (helped my grand dad put that sucker in) I can attest to many 25+ inch browns lurking in those waters, and I will tell you, they didn't get that big by eating tiny insects. If you want BIG, think BIG. Sculpin, massive stone flies, streamers, and my personal favorite, mouse/vole. Avoiding the little guys to hunt for the monsters will often produce a 0 to 1 fish day, but they're worth it.
[signature]
+1[cool]
[signature]