Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Grayling in West Uinta's invite for July or Aug
Planning on a hike and possibly bringing my doughnut tube and waders to Round lake, Fish Lake, Sand Lake. by Smith Moorehouse. Its a 3-4 mile hike up. I've caught various trout and grayling there. Trout hit worms, the grayling - very small wet flies. We caught mostly grayling. Best fishing was past the 1st lake (round lake) and onto the next. I believe it was fish lake or sand.

If anyone is interested, it'd be nice to have 5-6 people come. I don't want anyone to get a heartattack. I'd like to do it in mid July. Post here if possibly interested in it. Planning to pack very light but I need to weigh my tube. A tube IS NOT NECESSARY. Its just that that clean sparkling water is extremely tempting. There was a lot of grayling that hung around the shores.

I'll repost this in June if there are some interested people and we can get together to go over some details.

If the snow pack is not melted by then, it may be in august. ***Note - the bugs are unbelievabley bad there. Head nets are a must.
[signature]
I wanna go! Count me in! My twin and I already had plans to go there this summer as we heard about it last year. Sundays are best for me. Will you be planning on doing this as a day hike or an overnighter?

As you can see from my backcountry adventures I can handle it!
[signature]
I've done this trip several times over the years, the last time was in late July of last year. I LOVE it up there, but don't be lulled into thinking that this is an easy hike, because it is an absolute beast. Not very long, but straight up. Another thing to consider is the fact that there are several stream crossings that don't have bridges. In years past they were easily hopped over, but last years crazy water left me trapsing through 50+ feet of river bed to get to the other side. The majority of the trail was also muddy/under water -- so waterproof boots are a must! Bug juice is also a must. You will not survive without it - seriously, you'll die of blood loss.

That is a rough hike for a day trip, imo, so I always pack a 40lb pack and camp a night or two. The grayling taste like liquified butthole, but the little cutthroats are delicious! I have a bunch of pictures of my last trip, but I'll be damned if I know where they are. I will post them later.

Overall, I give this hike/fishing 5 out of 5 stars. Beautiful country, and even more beautiful fish.
[signature]
There's already open water with grayling in the Unitas . I have to admit I didn't get any last trip but did manage a splake along with some brookies. Bugspray isn't even needed now[Wink].
[signature]
If a day hike, its a total of 5-6 hours. The guy I know just went up with a flypole, ran up and back down. Its definitely not a cakewalk! An overnighter may not be a bad idea. I just only thought about a dayer. I packed a 50 lb pack the first time and died! A day trip you can get in and out and devote more time to fish and move around.
[signature]
sure its not a brookie?
[signature]
I thought it was brookie bringing it in but once I landed it sure looked like a splake. Haven't heard of others catching splake in the Uintas and the last few years stocking report didn't list splake for the lake. Maybe some got in with brookies when stocked.
[signature]
I'm into a day trip up there. [cool]
[signature]
Preliminary plan for July. We'll bring it up again in June.
[signature]
Im probly gona be in the uinta mountains in late june or july a quite a bit. warning warning if you see some one catching tiger fishes at butterfly lake with fly rod its probly me XD. So stocked to slay those tiger XD.
[signature]
If it is on a weekend be down in august. I just got a lay off the beer and get my ass on the stairmaster.[Wink] I have never caught a Grayling it is on my to do list.
[signature]
I fished this area a while back and had the best success at fish lake. Just about every cast was a grayling with the biggest going 12". I used a mesquito on top. Good luck when you go.
[signature]
Been reading reports for months, but never posted. I've fished round, sand, and fish lakes many times. I found round, ( the first lake) to have slightly bigger fish. 14 fish on 14 casts was my record at Fish. I did find another grayling lake that holds fish up to 16". But I can't reveal that one just yet :-)
[signature]
post more, the more the merrier. We all like to share and be shared with. Everyone brings something unique we all appreciate. We love p ictures
[signature]