Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walleye master shows me how it’s done at Willard
[font "Calibri"]Mike4cobra and I fished from noon until 6:30 pm today. We found TubeDude in the channel as we were going out of the South Masrina and talked with him for a few minutes, good to see you again Pat. We went over to the West dike and started trolling blades on bottom bouncers. Water temp was 63*. Mike caught the first eye within minutes of dropping down the worm harness. We had a light breeze with a slightly overcast day when we started and we caught fish on and off for the first 3 & ½ hours, picking up 6 walleye up to 16 inches and losing 3 or 4, including one that was undetermined but big. The bite slowed around 3:30 so we decided to move, water temp was 65* by then. When we arrived at the next location we caught the first fish within minutes and the bite continued steady for the next 2 & 1/2 hours, other boats in the area were catching fish as well but as the day continued the wind died and the clouds dissipated and the burn began. We had decided to keep the first 6 fish, so all the fish caught at this second location were released unharmed, including one that was close to 20 inches. We continued to catch fish until we got 20 in the boat, not including a 10 inch perch but It took the last half hour to catch the last eye, so we decided to call it quits. At one point we had three on at the same time. The hot blade was a Kokanee creek tackle, black pearl, seen in the picture. It was one of those days that don’t happen very often, at least for me and it is one I will not soon forget. Thanks Mike for the awesome day. [/font]
[font "Calibri"]WH2[/font]
[signature]
Looks like you put the smack on the eyes today! Good goin.
[signature]
Sounds like an awesome day!!! Glad some walleye wanted to play. A 20 fish trip isnt bad in anybodies book. Good goin.
[signature]
I should have been there or a lass at least gone there today, but no... Work beckons... Ick. Work sure is inconvenient for a fisherman.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you guys found some active fish.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I shoulda had you tow me over there too. What does tube taxi service cost these days? And do you charge extra if I lift off and take some air?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Definitely some limitations to having a float tube when the fish are across the lake.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It was good talking to you and M4C out there today. We did pretty well also. Took a pic with the sunset in the background as we were pulling into the marina... tried getting all five on my fingers but the 5th was not cooperating so I gave up. Gorgeous night. Im not sure how many we ended up landing, I got my five then I manned the net and the I-pilot after that. Pretty good way to spend a Wednesday night imo.
[signature]
[quote reelfast]Looks like you put the smack on the eyes today! Good goin.

[#0000FF]I love fishing[/#0000FF][/quote]

'specially when it involved catching LIKE THAT!

Well - last time TD and FG went down and had a stellar day of Crappie, I went the next day and got stellarly skunked. Maybe this time I can return the favor, go AFTER you guys and clean up! At least the weather's heading in the right direction for a change!

Nice Eyes Curt. Wish I had a Wet dream to float around on. I'll have to look at tying up a few more worm harnesses. Grab my bottom bouncers - we'll see.
The tow to the spot is free..... But then you have to tow me around with your electric once we get there so I can relax and fish [Wink]. I'll Even have WH2 hold score cards to judge your stunts. The cats have been weird this year, I haven't picked up no where near as many as I usually do by this time.[fishon]
[signature]
Which boat were you in?
[signature]
I was piloting the SeaRay that the guy caught the big cat in when you were near us.
[signature]
Great report Curt! Sounds like you guys had a fantastic afternoon. You couldn't have picked a better guide either. Hoping to finally get caught up on all the distractions I've had lately and get to some serious fishing.
[signature]
Sunrise on the water
Ok. There was that ranger out there too so I wasn't sure. Sounds like the bite stayed on after we left. Good job, sounds like between all of we sore lipped a bunch of em. [fishon]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Seems like the biomass in Willard has shifted. Not many wipers...due to stocking problems and heavy removal by the happy harvesters during the spawn. Now the catfish population seems to have taken a big hit...for some reason. I noticed it last year when I caught far fewer kitties even when fishing for them on purpose. Never got blanked but had to work harder for a fish fry or smoker session.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]After 4 trips to Willard this spring I am concerned. No fish in most of my usual hotspots in and around the north marina...3 cats in 3 trips. Now nothing in my best spots at the south marina. In years past I have had wide open cat-o-rama action from ice out forward. And by May it has been gangbusters. One big negative indicator is the almost complete lack of action on minnows. They are usually all over my minnows...but this year most of my cookies have been caught on small plastics tipped with worm.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]About the taxi service. Sounds fair. But I suppose I'll have to keep listening to you shouting directions about which way to go and when to stop and all that stuff. I get enough of that at home thank you. Go ahead and put together some kind of agreement and shoot it over. I'll have my peeps get back with your peeps...or not.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
That's the coolest name for a boat I've ever seen!
[signature]
Nice job Mike & Curt looks like a great day. Guess I'll give it a try tomorrow and see if I can find a couple. Thanks for the encouragement. Later J
[signature]
Very nice! When's dinner??
Smiles Always!
MA
[signature]
Great fish guys. I'd liek to tag along sometime. I could use a refresher.
[signature]
[quote wiperhunter2][font "Calibri"]...It took the last half hour to catch the last eye, so we decided to call it quits... [/font][/quote]

Yea, I don't blame you for quitting. When it takes 30 minutes to catch a fish it is time to throw in the towel. [:p][:p]

Way to go you guys. sounds like a fantastic spring walleye trip.
[signature]
I wanted to make a correction on that blade rig curt. That is called The black pearl. I was impressed with how well that rig was working. Might be something to it. To bad I only have one in the boat... [fishon]
[signature]
I just noticed on the pic of your rig that you didnt use a clevis. I have been tying these things for years but never without one on the blade. Obviously it was working that day but did you do it on purpose or were you just out? It seems like it wouldnt spin as freely that way.... maybe?

[url "http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Tackle-Craft/Tackle-Craft-Hardware-Floats%7C/pc/104793480/c/104776380/sc/104377680/Folded-Clevises/710021.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-tackle-craft-tackle-craft-hardware-floats%2F_%2FN-1100418%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104377680%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104776380&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104776380%3Bcat104377680"]http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/Tackle-Craft/Tackle-Craft-Hardware-Floats%7C/pc/104793480/c/104776380/sc/104377680/Folded-Clevises/710021.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Ffishing-tackle-craft-tackle-craft-hardware-floats%2F_%2FN-1100418%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_104377680%3FWTz_l%3DSBC%253BMMcat104793480%253Bcat104776380&WTz_l=SBC%3BMMcat104793480%3Bcat104776380%3Bcat104377680[/url]
[signature]