Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best place to fish on shore at Mantua?
My brother and I are hitting up mantua tomorrow afternoon. I have only fished there once and it was in a boat, any suggestions on where to go on the shore? I would love to get into bass, never really caught those before, but wouldn't mind catching some trout either, we would be using flies, spinners, and maybe worms. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
[signature]
I've had great luck at several places at mantua from shore. Depending on what you want there are some better places. If you want a good spot for trout/bluegill you may want to try along the north road going from the main dock to the fishing dock. Keep an eye out for gravel areas. Worn and a bobber or small spinners work well in that area.

If your after bass I'd go to the rock dike and move slow till you can see where the weeds move out. Try a wacky rigged worm slowly retrieved. I've caught all my best Large Mouths from my first cast with wackies along that strip. You'll also get trout fairly constant on the dike.

My favorite spinner for mantua is a small size 0-2 rainbow meps. My best Bow yet came from a size 0 box spinner.
Good luck!
[signature]
Mosquito patterns for flies at the South Dock at the inlet and even in the inlet. The west dike can be good too. I like gold kastmasters for the dike. Keep in mind that I only fish the place July to October.

A panther martin in rainbow colors works well but I only do that from a boat or pontoon.
[signature]
Thanks for the advice!
[signature]
'Bout time you get on here. Good luck tomorrow evening.
[signature]
Haha, I've been on for a while, just didn't have anything to post
[signature]
I don't think the bluegill are in spawn mode yet, but if they are, don't forget the waders. Shore access is poor around much of the lake.

Working into the trees along the east/south/north sides will get you into bluegill beds. About the same time/conditions the bass will often be in there shallow to harrass small perch and bluegills.

Wading in slowly and pitching certain plastics, or whole nightcrawlers (strung on a worm hook as if it was a plastic worm) into openings in the trees and weeds will catch some bass.

I have almost always been able to release them, even though it's bait.

You'll go through a lot of worms, though. Small bluegills eat their tails.
[signature]