Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(OT) Good luck to all you deer hunters!
Well,

Tomorrow morning is the deer opener. Good luck to everyone that is going to go out. Good luck to all you who are going to Strawberry and elsewhere fishing instead too! As long as we get to get out into the outdoors, it'll be a great weekend!!!

Expecting a number of good reports after the weekend from both hunters and fishermen. Be safe out there everyone!
[signature]
[cool]Yeah, good luck all you Bambi killers. I'm going fishing...in the hundred degree heat down here. Looks like a long dry winter.

Heres some of my favorite deer hunting cartoons.
[signature]
LOL. Those are all great ones TD. I've seen several variations of the guy strapped to the hood of the car. Very funny![crazy]
[signature]
Never a dull moment when them California hunters show up!![Wink][Wink][Wink]M.H.
[signature]
report for the deer hunt. 3,000 hunters spotted. two deer spotted and four bull moose in the middle of the rut spotted. by the way the two deer were in the dark after shooting hours. ugh nice to be out and get some excersize but it reaffirmed the fact i will never general hunt public land in this state again.
[signature]
Hey Xman, I hear ya. Here's my report from Saturday. Went up Daniel's Canyon above Heber. Actually hunted in Center Creek Canyon on the east side. We were way up on top. Saw a half dozen or so does, no bucks. Did see one very small 2 point that someone else had shot. I also go LOTS of excercise, and leg cramps to go with it. It was hot and dry. We were walking on corn flakes. We did see a few dozen grouse, both ruffed and blue grouse. On the way back home in the dark, we saw a nice 4 point buck that jumped out in front of us on the road...it was down lower in the CWMU. Mother Nature just saw it fit to mock our inability to find a buck. Anyway, it was at least good to get outside. I haven't been able to much lately. My dad and little brother went back up today to see if they could find anything. It sucks.

I blame the drought, the warm weather, uh, what else can I blame?
[signature]
I guess I'll add my weekend report. This was my first time hunting in over ten years. I was blessed with a wife and in-laws that hunt every year. To add to the great in-laws they also provide great hunting grounds. They live in coalville on the side of the hills there. They've been there for a long time and know everyone. They have permission to hunt all the private property up east of Coalville. We get up each morning out of our warm bed, have a nice hot breadfast and take off. We spotted plenty of does and fawns, 2 bucks and a very possible third (took off in front of us but didn't get a good look, the guys across the canyon started shooting our way, so we figured it was a buck). The terrain is loaded with cedar trees and oak brush, there are a lot of deer in there but terribly difficult to see, my deer is evidence of how hard they are to see. On the second day we were walking back on a dirt road after blazing the bush all day. My wife and her parents were ahead of me, I looked off the side of the road and saw my buck laying down under a large cedar not 30 feet away. My wife and her parents had totally missed seeing that deer, that's how well they hide. We sat and watched it for close to 5 min. If I hadn't of spotted it it never would have moved and just watched us walk by. As soon as he stood up (I can't shoot him while he's down) I shot him right through the heart. The best part is my father-in-law jumped right in and had it cleaned before I could tell him I'd do it. Not a bad weekend for this rookie.
[signature]
Great report! Again, Congratulations!
[signature]
Congrats Icthys.[Wink] Did you get any photos? If so, you should post em. I got back from my southeastern hunt last night (Sunday). Haven't had a chance to get my photos off the digital camera yet. But when I do, I'll post em'.
[signature]
Nice work dearclaw, I got pics, I'll load 'em up tomorrow.
[signature]
I hunted The Raft River mountains Of Northwestern Utah With A couple hundred Other People saw 7 does no live bucks but I saw 4 spikes and 2 2-3 pointers that other people got the first day then decided I didn't like hunting with that many people so on Sunday I headed to the north slope uintas saw 4 does and one that I think was a buck but it was in the trees so I'm not sure and by the time we got close it was too dark to shoot so I'm Still hoping to see somethin the second weekend.
[signature]
They're out there, go get 'em!
[signature]
Hey [red]Xman[/red][black] sounds like you have the same hunt as almost everybody. Next year your welcome to our camp. Only three of us had tags and taged a 120 BC buck. Last year we got a 140 BC buck and a couple of meat bucks.[/black]

[black]I did pretty dang good every morning. I seen atleast a hundred does everyday and a couple 2 or 3 points. I missed a trophy buck because I fell down a rocky hill and messed up my sights. I passed up a couple 20-24" 3 and 4's and seen another good 4 point this Tuesday morning. Tons of people and hardly anybody seen bucks. Maybe if they got out of there trucks and did something besides road ride they'd see something.[/black]
[signature]
Got up bright and early Saturday to get on the mountain(Northern Region) Flat tire on the truck. [Sad] Changed that and ended up getting to the mountain 45 minutes late.[pirate]Drove to the top of the mountain but all the draws and points full of hunters. We decided to go down to an empy knoll towards the middle of the mountain. Got out and started getting my gear out when my son (14) informed me he had spotted some deer about 100 yards away. Next he informed me there were 3 bucks and 2 does. I asked what he was waiting for and he shot his first Utah buck (filled a Wyoming tag 2 weeks ago). It was a small 3 point, but he was still real pleased with himself. I shot a nice two point that didn't have the good sense to run away. Had everything loaded up and back in town by 10:00 am. It's been a long time since things worked out that well. Guess a flat tire isn't always bad....[Smile]
[signature]
hey catman, i live right in the area and know some secret little spots that not too many know about if you want some help to relay to your family PM me and i will give you some directions to the spots that have deer, erm, bucks.
[signature]
Congrats Chester,

I've had a few similar experiences with timing. Just when you think you're late, something happens and the timing turns out to be just right. Congrats to your son. It's absolutley imperative that we keep our hunting camps full new hunters and especially children. Not only will this keep our hunting tradition alive, but you can bet that your son will have those special memories etched in his mind. Thanks you for sharing this great story..[Smile] BC
[signature]
Where did you go? It all depends on where you are hunting. In the past 20 years in Utah I've hunted the I have only twice been where a bunch of other people were. In that timeframe I bagged 8 deer & 4 elk and the first 5 years I went I never saw a deer until it was too late. The last couple years I did not hunt, too much to do at work.
[signature]
My dad, little bro, and I decided to hunt somewhere besides the Deep Creek this year. We hunted somewhere in Central (I ain't sayen where!) Opening morning, my dad pushed a couple of canyons to me and my brother. A 26 inch 3 by 4 with good mass, excellent height (22 inches tall) and decent tine lenght busted thru the cedar trees, and my little brother nailed him! His first ever buck. Later that day, I hiked up a hill and saw a 32 inch 9 by 12. What a buck! I didn't get a shot, because he was a good 600 yards away. The next day, before we packed out my little bro's buck, my dad jumped a 4 by 4, at 29 inches wide. He shot him thru the heart, and droped him at 300 yards on a dead run. Today, we all went back out. Right at day light, I saw 4 other bucks, one at about 26 inches. I'm heading back out saturday and sunday to try to get Mr. Big. I don't think I'll shoot any deer but him. by the way, only 2 hunters, 7 bucks (1 a Boone & Crocket for sure), and about 500 chukar. I'll put on pictures of the antlers later- we didn't have a camra on the hill.
[signature]
i think you can blame the cwmu. it will be the end of any good public land that borders private anywhere. but hey you can always hunt it for $1,000 bucks or so. geez. sorry for the bad luck. ill go up a few more times myself.
[signature]
After this year you can bet on hunters finally realizing that some other place then down south has deer. It's just most people are to lazy to get out and walk. Thats the real reason most people hunt southern utah. With the way bucks are in the southern region don't plan on having that little area to yourself for very long. I used to have a couple spots like that and it only took one year for it to go to crap. Enjoy it while it lasts because Central is going to be the tag everybody wants.
[signature]