Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation boat launches?
A friend of mine has launched at Rabbit Gulch. Does anyone know what the condition is of the ramp? I have a 16 foot boat. I need to know my options other than the State Park. Thanks in advance for your help.
Welcome to the site Walleyeotta, you will get a better response to your question on the Utah board, so I'll move your post there.
WH2
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]There is not a ramp at Rabbit Gulch. But there are several spots where boats can launch from shore during high water. And you can launch all year under almost any water level conditions at the end of the old Hwy 40 road where it disappears under the lake. With the current high water conditions you will have to make a detour around on a dirt access road to reach the launch spot. Portions of the road are covered with water but the end "launch ramp" will still be accessible.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since they paved the road all the way to Rabbit Gulch it has been used a lot more for launching. And there are some pretty good sized boats that use it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The same situation occurs in reverse across the lake at Indian Bay...where the old highway emerges from the lake on the other side.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here are a few maps.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I launched at rabbit gulch yesterday. It is certainly nothing special, but I had no problems launching an 18 ft boat. I might have worried a bit about pulling out if I had a biger or heavier boat with no 4WD. The spot everyone is launching from is a mud bottom.
[signature]
Thank you so much! I thought I was in the Utah forum. I appreciate it and look forward to posting my successful, and not so successful experiences. The hubby and I have been reading for about a year.
That's what I needed! Thank you so much. I will report back with some fish stories. [Wink]
Awesome, thanks! That's great to know.
[cool][#0000ff]Attaching a pic of a spot popular with boat launchers during high water. It is just a few yards past the restrooms...where the invasive mussel sign is and where the dirt road goes off to the south from the flooded highway.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]As you can see in the pic, it requires that you put the trailer in at an angle but the bottom drops off fairly quickly so it makes for an efficient launch.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]No courtesy docks though.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In the picture several of us float tubers had just kicked in to shore and the truck with the boat just backed right in on top of us. No warning or nothing. We had to move or be run over.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
Thank you for giving a visual. That's quite the setup you have! The best part about that pic is the fish in the net.
I hope those people aren't that careless all the time. Someone could get hurt. Be careful out there and thanks again for your time and all the info.
[cool][#0000ff]Glad you like my "big rig". Cain't tow a skier or get it up on plane but it fishes purty good. Usually manage to bring home enough for a couple of meals.[/#0000ff]
[signature]