Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
1st Annual Flaming Gorge Fishing Derby Sponsored By Sportsmans Warehouse
Many ways to hook some cash & great prizes!

The anticipation has begun for the 1st Annual Ducks Unlimited Fishing Derby to be held June 23-24, 2012.

Held at Flaming Gorge Reservoir and launching from the Lucerne Marina.

Each team’s entry form and fees are due by June 15, 2012. Each team that participates in the 2012 Derby will have a spot automatically for the 2013 Derby.

Cost per team is $200 and consists of 4 anglers per boat. You don't have to be a Ducks Unlimited member, everyone is welcome!

Cash prizes for 4 different species: Lake Trout (heaviest fish under 28"), Kokanee Salmon, Rainbow Trout and Small Mouth Bass.

1st Place Prize Money per fish species $1000
2nd Place Prize Money per fish species $500
3rd Place Prize Money per fish species $250

Many other prizes including Ducks Unlimited merchandise such as guns, prints, statues and decoys.

For more information, visit our website: [url "http://www.ducks.org/news-media/news/8587/1st-Annual-Flaming-Gorge-Fishing-Derby-Sponsored-By-Sportsmans-Warehouse"][/url][url "http://www.ducks.org/news-media/news/8587/1st-Annual-Flaming-Gorge-Fishing-Derby-Sponsored-By-Sportsmans-Warehouse"]http://www.ducks.org/...Sportsmans-Warehouse[/url]
[signature]
Great. More dead 20-40 year old lake trout to get money for some wetlands and political lobbyists? Or, is this just another drunkfest like the upcoming May derby? No, the payout isn't 100 percent, so DU is killing 3 very old (over 36") lake trout to raise duck money.

Lets see, the "winning" 30+ year-old lake trout is valued at $1,000. The next dead one at $500, and a third one still probably well over 20 years old, a mere $250. Value of three dead ducks?

I hope more people use more lead weights and split shot, especially in waterfowl areas. I'm probably aiming for ducks with my boat now too! Maybe I can "catch" a few with my fishing line on the rivers this summer as well.

Trout Unlimited doesn't have duck hunt derbys. Maybe they should!

If you want to kill fish that only live a few years (all the others in the lake), go ahead. Old lake trout?

VERY bad taste DU.

No more Sportsman's Warehouse for me either. I'll urge every customer I have from now on not to patronize them as well. Some will listen.

A solution you ask? Make the lake trout category the heaviest fish UNDER 28". They do it elsewhere in the west!
[signature]
I think that there are to many open water derbies on the gorge. This will be the 5th open water derby this year. Maybe we should let Arron million have the water(not really)
Jim you make some valid points. DU is willing to sacrifice old fish,in order to raise money to save a few ducks. How very courageous of them.[Image: bobmad.gif] Of course the USFS is looking at the money,and not the damage done to the fishery .I don't chase big macks anymore,but I do understand the need to protect these big fish also.
[signature]
Well put, Jim. I'm writing Ducks Unlimited and Sportsmans today. If this goes forward with the lake trout category, I'll spread the word and neither one will get another nickel from me.

I just can't believe that a conservation organization like DU would knowingly be affiliated with the further degradation of such a unique resource.
[signature]
+1 Jim! 20-40 year old fish for money for ducks! [crazy] REALLY!!!! (like Jim said) The lake trout category should be eliminated or changed to the heaviest fish under 28 inches, I fish for lakers a lot, and have never yet fished any derby! A 1000 bucks isn't worth killing a trophy fish for. Having a derby is a great idea, to get sportsman together and raise money for whatever, but destroying a trophy fish! doesn't make a lot of sense to me! DU and sportsmans you aren't gettin any support from me either.
[signature]
Well put and well said...
How about catching the MOST under "28 ?
Aren't they trying to lower the number of pups?
Or a NOVEL idea...biggest boatload 'o burbots?(the 3 b's) but yeah...leave the 'ol dogs for the guides and their business. Huh Ash!? I SO gotta meet you some day...
[signature]
I agree with you Jim killing[mad][mad] big Lake Trout is crazy Put them back so every one can enjoy!!! Well Put Jim
[signature]
I don't think I can get 4 people on my pontoon anyway, go to UL and catch carp, it would be a better derby anyway. [fishin]
[signature]
I guess anything to save a mud duck...I hope they dont go through with the Lake trout part of this.. If they do I know I will never support either of these establishments ever again... I know I can persuade a couple of other buddies too. I am with Jim
[signature]
So...Jim....I guess you will be planning a fall duck hunting derby for the Save the Lakers Foundation!!!

Just Kidding!!!

In all seriousness.... maybe it needs to be brought to the attention of Sportsmans Warehouse upper management, and DU, the impact that the laker category, and others for that matter, will have on this fishery. I'm no wildlife expert.....but whats the survival rate of the released fish going to be? and how many will spend some time in a livewell (illegal of course), then released for a larger speciman?

I believe its different targeting a species such as Burbot. That might be a more effective and profitable fundraiser.

I do find it somewhat ironic that a wildlife conservation organization would hold a fundraiser at the expense of another species of wildlife.....Whatever happened to good old fashioned banquets and raffles?
[signature]
There is allready to many damn derbys on that pond as it is !! !Big Lake Trout should be off limits to any derby contestants anywheres !! As mentioned why not the heaviest Laker under 28in ?? Davis does way more than enough on the population along with another outfit up there give the BigBoys a break and pick on the Pups..
[signature]
What a trashy time of year to have a derby. And kill more lake trout? Looks like Sportsman's Craphouse and Mudducks Unlimited are going to lose alot of followers!
[signature]
I have followed this thread since it started and agree with many of the points that have been made. I told myself I wasn't going to post until you made the ignorant remarks you did!! Believe what you want and that is it! Don't forget that this is tournament was approved and their permit given by the state! Laws are laws and nobody will be breaking any! However, I feel that there could be other steps taken and regulations put in place to protect the old monsters of the Gorge. I love that lake more than any of you on here will know. The real reason I am responding to you is your comment about the " craphouse". Like it or not, shop there or not that's your choice. Your so called "craphouse" pays my mortgage, my bills, puts food in daughters mouth and pays for gas to fill up my boat! Sportsmans Warehouse employs some of the best people I have ever known. I have been there for 10 of the funnest years since college! Have your opinions brookie man but don't slander the place I love! That's all I ask.
Fish on!
[signature]
Hey Big Jim, Thanks for your comments about the derby. Every one has their opinion. We have been talking with the WFG, and they have given us alot to consider for next years derby, and if the state of Utah will comply with what Wyoming is offering, there will be no more big fish for the taking in any fishing tournament in the future. As for DU we would have dropped the big lakers from the contest and focused on pups, but it was to late. Everything had already gone to the press and we couldn't change it. We dont mean to affend anyone. We are just trying do something differnt to involve more people to go outdoors, and spend more time with there familys, and yes raise money for DU. There are 175 differant kinds of birds, FISH,mamals & animals that live in wetlands.They my not be lakers, but they are many differnt speices of fish that live in the canals that feed the wetlands. And by the way Sportsmans Warehouse is fantastic!!!!!!!
[signature]
[quote bigfish22]I have followed this thread since it started and agree with many of the points that have been made. I told myself I wasn't going to post until you made the ignorant remarks you did!! Believe what you want and that is it! Don't forget that this is tournament was approved and their permit given by the state! Laws are laws and nobody will be breaking any! However, I feel that there could be other steps taken and regulations put in place to protect the old monsters of the Gorge. I love that lake more than any of you on here will know. The real reason I am responding to you is your comment about the " craphouse". Like it or not, shop there or not that's your choice. Your so called "craphouse" pays my mortgage, my bills, puts food in daughters mouth and pays for gas to fill up my boat! Sportsmans Warehouse employs some of the best people I have ever known. I have been there for 10 of the funnest years since college! Have your opinions brookie man but don't slander the place I love! That's all I ask.
Fish on![/quote]Sorry man, really. Just got a little over-passionate about a resource being exploited for what i feel are the wrong reasons. Guess I should have been a little less derogative with my namecallin'! I spend quite a bit of money at Sportsman's, and perhaps with some proper and diplomatic reasoning Sportsman's Warehouse will perhaps change the derby rules a bit to be more "laker freindly". I feel it would save their own and DU's local reputation.
[signature]
it is 2012. we live in a digital world. why couldn't it be a C&R comp. with photographic evidence. its not like 90% of cell phone don't have them.
food for thought
[signature]
It's not too late modify the category to "heaviest lake trout under 28 inches". That would take the pressure off the old trophy sized fish that can be difficult for many people to catch, and give everyone who enters a shot at that prize category.

I hope DU and SW modify the tournament. They're both great organizations and SW supports a lot of good causes. This is another chance for both to do the right thing.

We'll see.
[signature]
+1 on the state permits. The DNR, in cooperation with wyoming, manages the fishery. If they (the flaming gorge biologists) felt it would be detrimental to the fishery in any shape or form, they would deny it. The money made from a permit is not worth it to the state to damage a trophy fishery. I only support large tournys if they are C&R, but there are more big lakers killed there every week of the summer than are gonna be during that tourny. This state is not very tournament friendly and that is one of the few things I will give the DNR credit for is protecting the intrests of the general public over a handfull of guys looking to make a buck... [fishin]
[signature]
I have been following this thread too and feel the need to comment as well. I am a part of DU and have been for a while, I have helped my family with the banquets and raffles every year and it is so family oriented. I am helping with this derby and yes, there is always room for improvement. This is the first year we are doing this derby. You make mistakes, learn, and change the problems for the better the next time.
Also, I work for Sportsmans WAREHOUSE and it is not a "craphouse" sir, I understand you are upset with the derby, but please, Sportsmans Warehouse is all about you, the customer. And like bigfish said, the people that work there along side me are some of the best people Ive met and really know what they are talking about. I really do hope you dont decide to stop shopping at Sportsmans just for this reason.
Fish on
[signature]
+1 on Sportsman's Warehouse being a great place with great people. I often wonder why we support out of State stores when the best priced big box sporting goods store in the Country is headquartered right here in Midvale UT, employing Utah'ns by the hundreds. I will be there today to make up for some of you guys not spending your money there. I support all of the fishing locations in UT that I can, when it comes to a big box location, Sportsman's will get my money whether they sponsor this tourney or not.
[signature]