Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burbot and Bucket Biology & Other Crazyness
You may not agree with what I am about to write. It's ok, it's my opinion.

Bucket Biology - an illegal act by taking non native fish from one body of water and moving them to another body of water.

Worst Offender - DNR [shocked] (what ate all the insects before the fish got there? Frogs, Bats, Native Fish, etc)

When I say native fish I mean Cutthroat Trout, June Sucker and not Rainbow Trout, Kokanee Salmon, etc

DNR is the law and being the law you can say 'do as I say and not as I do' (This is an over exaggeration, because of the amount of research done before stocking takes place)

So when some ignorant person sees the DNR stocking all these lakes with fish that didn't belong in the ecosystem in the first place. He assumes he knows more about ichthyology and ultimately feels anything the DNR can do he can do better.

Is he wrong?

The answer is yes
when it damages the native fish and natural ecosystem.

The answer is unlawfully
when it damages the artificial ecosystem.

A couple examples
a-Fish Lake: May be the best perch fishery in Utah. An unlawful stock in an artificial ecosystem
b-Yellowstone Lake: Yes I'm gonna climb outside of Utah for this one. The Lake Trout are damaging the native Yellowstone Cutthroat in their native ecosystem.

The DNR sets up an non native ecosystem for the benefit of the angular. By stocking sterile fish (Rainbow Trout, Tiger Trout, etc) they can control the numbers to keep in tact their artificial ecosystem. They can also target problems and fix them without creating a new problem.

A couple examples
a-Strawberry Reservoir- Sterile Rainbows are stocked so they do not interbreed with the native cutthroat trout.
b-Newcastle Reservoir - Wipers are stocked to fix the problem of feral shiners.

The stocking program works great, but it cost money. Where does the money come from our taxes. It is a way to control fisheries rather than manage them and what I mean by that is.

Controlled Fishery - Can die off if not restocked. It is only a matter of time before all the fish that were stocked die or are caught, because they cannot reproduce.

Managed Fishery - Can't be killed by neglect. Fish will survive as long as the are allowed to reproduce and eat. It is managed by angling limits and a balance in the ecosystem.

Wouldn't it make more sense financially to stock non sterile fish and manage rather than control the waters by angling and generous limits?

I realize you could not put unsterilized rainbows in any water than contains cutthroat trout, but I dislike the idea of the DNR playing 'Insert Supreme Being'.I feel like we can make fisheries self substantiated and create an ecosystem that works. We go to Yellowstone, because it is a natural fishery and we should try to make Utah the same.

Wouldn't it make more sense to stock the waters with our native fish rather than the standard cookie cutter rainbow (which is nothing more than a powerbait fed airhead)?

I am not a biologist, but I did take an epidemiology class in college and the one thing I learned is to question everything.

Question who said it. Question if there is any bias? Question the motives? Question the research? Question the test subjects? Basically question everything from every angle that you can think of without getting your own personal bias get in the way.

When the DNR says the Burbot could threaten the native Kokanee at Flaming Gorge by eating them and their eggs, I question it.

Sure a big Burbot can easily take down a Kokanee, but so do lake trout. You really can't prove whether the Burbot will have more of an effect on the Kokanee than the bigger population of lake trout.

Secondly Kokanee start spawning in august and in the summer months the Burbot are down deep in the cold water and don't come up from the deep until the water gets colder. Kokanee spawn in tributaries high above the lake. It is hard to for me to think that the egg would travel all the way down stream and into the lake without hatching or being eaten by anything else before the Burbot could get to it.

Also using the word 'Native' to describe the Kokanee is either a poor choice of words or a ploy to get people to react emotionally.

Don't get me wrong the Kokanee is great fish, seeing them red in the fall running up river is a joy.

I think the Burbot gets a bad reputation from the DNR and I would love to see it introduced to another lake closer to home.Burbot are basically a cold water catfish-like that can keep my occupied during cold winter nights until the kitty waters warm.

Reason's why I think the DNR hates on the Burbot :

1- they are ugly, they look like a mutated monkey-fish-frog
2-It wasn't their idea[Wink]... ok.. no.. that's mean to say... actually it is because they cannot control them.
3-Money- Kokanee are not cheap and kokanee bring the angular and his wallet to the Gorge
4-They are not as popular as the Kokanee and the DNR loves to please it's followers

I think that Flaming Gorge can be a world class Burbot Fishery (Now Cringe) [cool]

Back to the Questioning.
Question who said it. -DNR- they set up an ecosystem to promote good fishing and this is contrary to their plan.
Question if there is any bias? -Any thing directed negatively towards their plan of conservation would be met with vendetta to eliminate to issue before it could be proven otherwise.
Question the motives? -Financial Kokanee are not cheap and if the Kokanee fishery suffers angulars may stop coming, which is a cut in the revenue from entrance fees.
Question the research? What if this is just a natural predator/prey boom/bust relationship? What if it is the Lake Trout and not the Burbot the cause of the Kokanee problems?
Question the test subjects? -When you cut open 1000 burbot what do you find? Crawfish? Kokanee? Rainbows? Small Lake Trout? Bass?

In all fairness no one should ever ever ever ever without the proper documentation and research. I think we as angular's together with the DNR need to educate everyone on the dangers of bucket biology. It is like eating asparagus & beans before a long road trip. Sure we might make it out alive, but until then we are all going to suffer.

I think it should start with the guidebook. I know there is a disclaimer in there and a warning. The only reason I know this is, because I was bored one day and flipped through the whole thing. Put a disclaimer on every other page in the bag limits section. This is the only section of the guide book the average angular cares about.

In big game hunting if you catch a poacher you receive that tag for the next year. In fishing this is not possible, but you know what it is? An all expenses paid fly fishing trip down the green river. (I would have my eyes open to find those evil 'Insert Bad Word' bucket biologists)

Catch & Kill is a good method, but to the evil 'Insert Bad Word' bucket biologists that could be a win. He can now go in to the area that he 'Insert Bad Word' up and catch his intervention species at no limit. What would be a loss, well if the fishery was closed due to illegal stocking.If Flaming Gorge was closed I guarantee we would find who was responsible. This is an extreme method, but I would report anyone transporting fish in a bucket live or dead.

In the End there are GOOD bucket biologists (DNR) and EVIL 'Insert Bad Word' bucket biologists. We must fight evil. May the Force be with us
[signature]
What good does hashing all of this out on here do?
[signature]
I thought it would give people a new perspective on Burbot. I read some articles and thought I would share my thoughts. If it is too much, Not relevant, or just pointless, i can Delete it.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]"I am not a biologist". That pretty much says it all. Everything before and after that is either pure speculation or biased opinion...with several examples of gross lack of knowledge and incorrect supposition.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
You're right. Ha ha the funny thing is I am almost done with a biology degree. So I'm almost a biologist, and I would say most of the people on this forum have more knowledge about aquatic ecosystems than I do. Biology has a wide range of disciplines and even with the degree I could know very little about a lot of things in biology.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry if I came off a bit harsh, but unless you are a biologist...with years of experience on a specific water...or a specific species...it is difficult to be spot on with observations and speculations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One of our BFT members (Ryno) is the ranking biologist for Flaming Gorge and regularly posts both fishing reports from his personal experience or general info updates on what is going on with the ecology of the lake. He lives with what is happening 24/7/365 and he still scratches his head at some of the things that develop...or don't develop.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]A couple of things about the burbot you may not have known. One...they DO move onto the shoreline spawning areas of the kokanee and they do devour vast quantities of eggs. Not all kokanee spawn in upper reaches of tributaries. And burbot also eat young kokanee fry but are not a threat to the free swimming adults in different levels of the water column. They leave that to the macks.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Two...so far the burbot have not completely overtaken Flaming Gorge. And hopefully they will establish a niche and not become the major part of the biomass. Yes, they do have an effect on other species but so far they have not completely upset the ecosystem.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]An interesting sidenote is that DWR has found that having burbot fishing derbies results in far more fish captured and removed from the lake...for study or disposal...than their most aggressive netting efforts. Far fewer fish in the nets than from a bunch of wacko burbologists. That may indicate that the numbers are not greatly out of hand...yet.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Peace.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
It’s very obvious that this is based on your opinion and not fact, but lets back it down a little bit shall we? I will not talk about what the DNR does in other lakes in Utah other then the gorge. I don’t fish any other Utah waters.

[quote one8sevenn]You may not agree with what I am about to write. It's ok, it's my opinion.
Secondly Kokanee start spawning in august and in the summer months the Burbot are down deep in the cold water and don't come up from the deep until the water gets colder. Kokanee spawn in tributaries high above the lake

. If you would have done your research, you would know that there are two different stains of Kokanee in the gorge. One strain is early spawners. They will start heading back to the rivers where they were spawned from in late august early Sept. You seem to think that these are the only spawning kokanee in the gorge. Then we have the late spawners. These are the fish that will spawn naturally within the lake it’s self. This is where the burbot, make the most impact in the kokanee population. Burbot get into these kokanee spawning beds, and are wrecking havoc on the eggs.

If the burbot are staying in the deeper colder water, then why are fishermen catching burbot while trolling at 50ft or less?? It’s obvious that not ALL burbot are doing what you think they are doing.

It is hard to for me to think that the egg would travel all the way down stream and into the lake without hatching or being eaten by anything else before the Burbot could get to them.

Again you show that you don’t really understand burbot. You would realize that as these spawning fish are headed back up the Green River to spawn, that there are still burbot in the river. This hurts the kokanee population. Just how do YOU think the burbot got into the gorge in the first place?

Also using the word 'Native' to describe the Kokanee is either a poor choice of words or a ploy to get people to react emotionally.

I have never heard any official from the Wyoming Game and Fish, or the DNR claim that kokanee were native to the gorge. Have you ever heard this from anyone in a official capacity?

Don't get me wrong the Kokanee is great fish, seeing them red in the fall running up river is a joy.

I think the Burbot gets a bad reputation from the DNR and I would love to see it introduced to another lake closer to home.Burbot are basically a cold water catfish-like that can keep my occupied during cold winter nights until the kitty waters warm.

So, your reasons for wanting burbot in the gorge, are for your selfish reasons only?

Reason's why I think the DNR hates on the Burbot :

1- they are ugly, they look like a mutated monkey-fish-frog
2-It wasn't their idea[img]file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CJTANSO%7E1%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_image001.gif[/img]... ok.. no.. that's mean to say... actually it is because they cannot control them.

You are right about this; it was not either the Wyo G&F or the DNR idea to put burbot in the gorge. If you think otherwise, show me the proof.

3-Money- Kokanee are not cheap and kokanee bring the angular and his wallet to the Gorge
4-They are not as popular as the Kokanee and the DNR loves to please its followers

[/quote]
[signature]
The very notion of the concept conservation is not geared towards ecology or wildlife preservation but is defined as a means of managing natural resources for maximum human benefit while sustaining that as long as possible. Wildlife agencies are mostly conservationist in nature rather than preservationist. There are some acts of preservation but many of us anglers deem it less important. For example, I honestly do care more about saving white bass, walleyes and largemouth than june suckers. It would be boring to just catch cutthroat and I would never fish for june suckers once they make utah lake into a june sucker lake. They'd be just a long skinny carp to most people. Personally I'm glad that the DWR has stocked all manner of warm water fish to catch rather than the run of the mill trout.
[signature]
Good points TD.

The burbot are getting bigger, and bigger. I would not be surprised if the bigger ones start eating on adult kokeanee. We are starting to see them up to 12lbs in the Gorge.

I have noticed a decline in their #'s, but this is the first year. I was highly skeptical that fisherman would have much of an impact on them...but it appears we may be helping. (They may be hitting a threshold of some sort too, naturally).
Burbot are incredibly efficient eaters and they love to fill their bellies full every night. Makes it easy for anglers to target and remove them. They are the opposite of picky in my experiences.
[signature]
Almost every river and stream of any size in the west has been dammed.

There is very little "natural" or "native" as it has to do with our fisheries management.

Our fisheries are managed for the enjoyment of the public and and the economy.

Thank God for all the non native species we enjoy.
[signature]
It was my fault and apologize. I inadvertently created a post that offended and it was not my intent. You were right to say what you said, because it is mostly true. This is my opinion, I could be wrong or I could be right. I would love to read a scientific report on the burbot in the gorge. Let me know if your friend comes out with one, because I would gladly read it.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]No apologies ever necessary for expressing yourself or asking a question on this board...as long as there are no personal attacks or deliberate slamming of an individual, religion, political person or party, etc. Keep it light, respectful and keep an open mind and it's all good. We all have questions but we don't always remain open to the answers others might provide.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/community/community.cgi?do=user_page;pg=user_profile_view.html;username=Ryno"]Ryno[/url] (link to profile page) is a very open and sharing guy. He has helped a lot of us on BFT to know more about the Gorge and about fishing in general. I have exchanged a lot of PMs with him on different aspects of his little Shangri La over there and he impresses me with really knowing his area of responsibility...the Gorge. I am sure that if you shot him a PM with your questions and concerns that he would provide all you wanted and more. You might even suggest he make a response to your original post. He may have already read it but he does not always jump in to beat folks down...no matter how silly their posts might be. No offense.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I too was on my way to becoming a marine biologist. But a four letter word called LIFE got in the way. Amazing the detours we encounter along the way to reaching our ultimate destinations...whatever they may be.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One thing I think I have learned about getting a degree in biology is that it is not unlike many other professions. Once you get a degree...or a license to practice a specific profession...the learning process is just beginning. The only thing the piece of paper and the letters behind your name mean is that you submitted to a whole lot of hours in a classroom and/or lab to qualify to begin learning the REAL issues of the profession.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have met and interacted with quite a few of Utah's fisheries biologists. The ones I know are all overworked, underpaid and underappreciated. To a person they are doing what they do because they love the job...not because they enjoy Utah's political system or the "high" income. And those who have responsibilities for specific waters and/or specific species always take their jobs to heart and really put in the time and energy to learn whatever there is to learn...so that they can better serve the state and the angling public. Even better...they are all more than willing to "download" whenever asked a question about any aspect of their assigned areas of responsibility. Dealing with the public and maintaining a Smile...not a grimace...is a trait I never developed. Hats off to them.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
See you are right, I just assumed that most of the Kokanee ran up sheep creek to spawn. I didn't know there were two types of spawner's in the Gorge. The Burbot could very well get into the beds of the lake spawning Kokanee. I would also challenge that Burbot would be the only one eating the fish eggs, but given the reputation of the Burbot you're probably right. This is still an assumption however there has not been enough time or money to prove that the burbot is destroying the Kokanee fishery. It is assumed so, but not proven. If you have proof I will gladly read an report. When I say report, I don't mean a DNR words to a newspaper. I want a study a numbers that show direct cause and effect. I am not saying that you are wrong at all, what I am saying is that I want proof and not speculation.I dunno if the Wyoming DNR refers to them as native, but I read a newspaper articles where the Utah DNR refers to them as native (source - http://www.vernal.com/stories/Fishing-wi...on,2289199). I wouldn't even know what burbot were if they were not illegally planted in the Gorge. My selfish reasons? I would not have a problem, if I woke up tomorrow and all the burbot were gone out of the gorge. I have written and expressed my want of the burbot closer to home to the DNR. I don't get out there as often as I would like too. The idea of the DNR not being the first to want to put burbot in the gorge was a bad joke. I'm sorry.

What I was basically getting at is to challenge everything.

I know the Burbot is a sensitive subject and is perceivably damaging a world class fishery, but from my point of view it may be all bark and no bite.

I want research, I want a scientific report, I don't want the DNR telling me it is bad, because they say so.
[signature]
Kokes really don't start "spawning" until late Sept. They do start changing color late Aug. but your full on spawn is usually October. Just Saying.
[signature]
Stevo,for the most part you are right. As with any spawning fish,the weather will play a big part. I have seen years in the past,that i would see spawning kokanee going up stream here in the town of Green river in early Sept. Other years it has been late Oct before the fish show up.
[signature]
thanks I figured that the weather would change some things I was just trying to make the point that Aug. is WAY off base especially when you are trying to make the burbot sound so fantastic ya know? thanks again for letting me know I am a little off as well. +1
[signature]
one8sevenn,

It looks like TubeDude and kokeking answered many of your questions and addressed most of your concerns. I thought I would also just clarify a few myself, but I really appreciate those guys sharing their knowledge.

There are two strains of kokanee in the Gorge. The Kootenai strain is an early run and more prone to spawning in inflows, peaking around the middle of September. The other strain, which we term the Roaring Judy strain, is a late run and more prone to spawning in-reservoir from October-November. Previous research conducted by USU has shown the late run strain (in-reservoir spawner) is the source of most of the kokanee recruitment, ~95%. The other ~5% is from tributaries, including the Green River and Sheep Creek. Being the kokanee population in the Gorge is so dependent on the in-reservoir spawning group, the impacts of burbot on kokanee recruitment is more of a concern. We have documented kokanee eggs in burbot diets during routine and exploratory sampling in the fall, but many anglers have also witnessed the same thing. The same goes for lake trout eggs, which are commonly observed by anglers in burbot stomachs in the fall.

Unfortunately, this seasonal dietary usage hasn't not been quantified or even published in a report to date. There was a USU study completed on burbot from 2008-10 (report available) but eggs, and kokanee overall, were not a big component of the burbot diet. Crayfish were obviously the dominant food item, at 90%. It was a study directed on overall trends of burbot in the reservoir, but not directed solely on impacts to kokanee. Unfortunately, some of the sites and possibly the timing of the sampling events did not overlap well with the kokanee cycle.

There has been a lot learned from the Burbot Bash tournament, including population estimates, diet trends, movement, etc. Burbot are checked by biologists and many of the burbot stomachs are examined either at the check station or back in the lab. Kokanee are not the dominant food item, but are a more common occurence during the winter, especially in larger burbot (>30 inches). I suspect the winter time period offers more habitat overlap, where kokanee will spend more time shallow or near shore at the ice edge, consuming abundant zooplankton, and burbot are not limited by thermal tolerances.

I also don't think burbot are "destroying the kokanee fishery", but I don't believe they are helping it either. There's only so much food to go around. Kokanee are loved by many predators, including burbot, lake trout, and even anglers. Kokanee abundance can also be limited by reservoir elevation changes, water quality, disease, etc. As you well know, fish populations are very dynamic and just one variable is rarely to blame.

Finally, in regards to the Vernal Express article, those were comments (among a few others) that were inaccurate. They weren't those of a biologist, but instead those of a reporter misunderstanding a biologist. I don't fault the guy too much, being he was standing on the ice in Nike tennis shoes, in the dark, when it was 20F, with a 15-20 mph wind.

I hope this helps some, Ryno
[signature]
Thank you. Very informative. I will come to you when I have future questions. Thanks again
[signature]
One thing I would like to know is:

When and how dose anything gets to be a native ( fish that is) in any reservoir when we as the people made them???
How long do they have to be in them???

And who or how it it determined what or why any fish is put in them...

In the past many have said that the waters in Utah are for trout or (trout waters) and that trout do better then other fish do or would????

Now if yes if that is true then why do they keep having to plant so many of them???

And why don't the trout spawn and do better in the waters???

Now look at the Walleye bass bluegill, white bass, why do they do so good that the DWR hates them in most all lakes in Utah???

I myself do not know, can anyone tell me...
[signature]