Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard bay north marina 5/14/2012 surprise
so i took my nehpew and my wife and her sister to the north marina we got there around 5:15 pm, while they went for a walk me and my nehpew where [fishin] by the left side corner between the waterflow to the ranger dock, my nehpew saw a whole bunch of carp and decide to try and catch them but then all of a sudden he yells out my name to come over really quick to come check out this weird fish that he spotted laying close to the shore. it was about 4ft in the clear shallow water, as i approached him and looked into the water i was like [#000080]deleted [/#000080](sorry excuse the bad langauge im sure you would have said the samething if you found i. anyway back on topic.)

at first i thought it was a big blue gill or sunfish but nope it was orange with alittle bit of dark green towards the head, had a big mouth, and dorsal fins that went almost to the end of the tail. it was about 8-9 inches in length,

it look dead till i tried catching it, it sprinted off a distance but i manage to catch it, before it got away lucky.

right as i was going to call the fish and game they pulled up and park at the ranger dock parking so it was a win/win situation for me hahaha...

i want to give a nice butt kicking to the [#000080]deleted[/#000080] who put this fish in there in the first place.

not a blue gill or sunfish

it was an [#ff0000]OSCAR!!!! [/#ff0000][#000000]im positive about it.[/#000000]
[#ff0000][/#ff0000]
[#000000]what do you guys think it is?[/#000000]

[#ff0000][/#ff0000]
[#000000]Me holding the oscar in the net. while the DNR took some pictures. even she didnt know what it was, she sent it to a few other DNR with no reply but said she would get back with me about it. [/#000000]

[Image: oscaratwillard2.jpg]

fish placed in DNR evendince bag

[Image: oscaratwillard.jpg]
[signature]
Wow! what a [#000080]deleted[/#000080]! but on a good a note if they put any others in there.. they will die due to the water freezing over in the winter.. those fish are not meant to handle cold water. they likethe 75 to 80ish degree water. Used to have one. Beautiful fish when they are in an aquarium.
[signature]
Holy moley that there is a strange fish you got there partner.
[signature]
That very much looks like a Red Oscar. Quite a long time ago I have a very large (100gal) fish tank with Oscars. They can get very large very fast, not sure why someone would release it to the wild when any reputable fish store will buy large Oscars to re-sell. I do agree that the fish would not survive the winter for they prefer warm water, which explains why it was in the shallows.
[signature]
yeah i figuered that too, but why would you just come dump it in lake if you didnt want it?
[signature]
So thats where they go when you flush em....
[signature]
lol
[signature]
Good one!
[signature]
I once witnessed a man about to release some Goldfish into a Community Pond.
I stopped him and asked him why he was doing that.
He said that he didn't want to mess with the fish any more and thought that releasing them into a big pond would be a good thing to do for the fish.
I explained to him the consequences of what he was about to do.
He apologized and asked me where he could take the fish.
I had no idea but referred him to a pet store.

My point is that non anglers think that they are doing their fish a favor by releasing them into ponds and reservoirs.
I doubt that it will ever stop.
[signature]
Yup, it's an oscar. A South American cichlid that grows fast and eats hard. It wouldn't have lived through the winter, though.
However, in Florida, they are so prolific in the everglades from people letting them go that they have established quite the breeding population and people actually fish for them.
[signature]
I've gone after those in south Florida. It's crazy to see one coming out of Utah water.
[signature]
DUDE! there are maybe three to five gold fish about 12" and bigger in the Jordan where I fish. Tuff fish to catch. Was told people throw them in the river when they get them from the Utah State Fair.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Howdja like to catch one this big...on a fly?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline "BIG GOLDY.jpg"]
[signature]
My guess is that the reason it was shallow and easy to catch was due to the cold water it was in. I doubt that Willard is much over 60 degrees right now, so that Oscar was in riggor over the cold water. I doubt that it would have survived to much longer.

Some people think that they are doing the fish a favor by releasing them into the rivers and streams. Like Golden Shiners in Enterprise Res, Asian Snakeheads in the Potomac, and on and on. The are not doing the fish or the public any favors !!!!