Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Utahs Fishing at Its Best Anderson Meadow, Labaron, and Puffer Lake Fishing Adventure Part 2
[size 1] [/size] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 1][Image: bm6.jpg][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 1][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 6]Great Weekend Part 2[/size][/font][/center]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]As night fell there a different perspective is encountered. I think back to how the pioneers must have done it. There would be hardships and the triumphs to inhabit this territory but they persevered. I stared at the area just thinking of the pioneers that came here. What were their thoughts of what they were seeing? I decided it was time to clean up and go to my tent and get some sleep. When I woke up I heard several extraordinary noises coming from outside my tent. I gradually opened my tent to be astonished by quite a few wild turkeys walking by my tent. They were so close I could have reached out and grabbed one. I figured if I were to attempt that, I would probably get my ass whipped by one. I slowly got out of my sleeping bag and tent and went to my truck were my camera was. By the time I got there they were gone. I walked in the forest for a while until I found them. I wasn’t able to get a clear photo but it was an experience I will never fail to remember in my mind. I got back to camp and laid out a plan I would follow. Today I would catch fish from Labaron Reservoir, Anderson Meadow, and Puffer Lake. I started with Labaron trying out several fly patterns with a fly on a bobble. I tried dry, wet, nymphs, and wooly buggers. There was absolutely no action to speak of from the lake. You could see the trout coming up to the surface and eating but they didn’t desire what I had for them. After several hours I decided to go back to camp and eat breakfast. A couple came over from the other camp and asked if I had any good fortune and told them not anything today. As I was eating I could still see the same cows grazing the meadow from where they left off yesterday. Suddenly out of the forest across the way, came some elk. They went down to the water and as quickly as they appeared they disappeared. I decided to brake down and camp and try fishing the lake again. Later I went back down to the dam and fished with worms and Power Bait. I started to utilize my grape twist Power Bait when I caught my first rainbow for the day. Later I got another bite, which felt different. It wasn’t like any rainbow I have caught before. This fish was stronger and had a wild intent to it. Low and behold I caught my first brookie. Could this weekend get any better? I caught him on a worm. I finally finished, catching several more rainbows before I decided it was time to go to Anderson Meadow. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I got there and no one was there. Only the aftermath of someone’s party. Before I could even fish I cleaned up the vicinity by filling up half of a 32-gallon trash bag. I hate it when people don’t respect the great outdoors. I have fished Anderson Meadow before and know of it opportunities. I decided to test my entire line up of Power Bait on this lake. I started using Flaming Red Power Bait and within minutes I got my first rainbow. [/size][/font] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: bm8.jpg][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font][/center]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I cast out again and got an additional rainbow. I went back into my tackle box and brought out some Orange Sherbet Power Bait. About 15 minutes went by when I brought in another rainbow. I ended up catching rainbows on Flaming Red, Orange Sherbet, Lime Twist, Grape Twist, and Orange Twist Power Bait. My observation is just about any rainbow trout is attracted to the smell as well as one important ingredient. Glitter Power Baits. Everything style I use has glitter inside it. If it doesn’t have some I insert it to the mixture. All you have to do is go to the store and get what the kids use. I find it works just fine. [/size][/font] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: bm9.jpg][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font][/center]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]After several hours I decided it was time to fish Puffer Lake. Just as I was leaving I saw a red tail hawk, my favorite animal, soaring above me. Native Americans call him the messenger of the sky, observer. Was he telling me something? Was he watching over me? [/size][/font]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][Image: bm14.jpg][/font][/size]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]This would be my first time there. It was another scenic drive through a different canyon past Elk Meadow Ski Resort to where Puffer Lake was located. When I got there the lake was extremely low. From what I gathered this lake is controlled by the Beaver City Power Company power plant below Elk Meadow. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][Image: bm15.jpg][/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 3][/size][/font][/center] [center][Image: bm18.jpg][/center]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]I walked downward to where a number of people were fishing and asked them if they had any luck. No one was catching anything. Some were trying to catch fish with a fly and bubble while others were using Power Bait. Experience showed me that the fish were not coming to the surface so the fly and bubble wasn’t going to work. I noticed the other anglers didn’t leave enough leader line for the Power Bait to float from the bottom. So I got out my pole and went fishing. I started to get a number of bites but they just stole my bait. About a half hour went by and I got my first rainbow. He was a fighter so I got him in a rapidly as I could. He was a good 18” long. I couldn’t get a picture since I ran out of batteries for the camera. I could see the disgusted faces of the other angler when I brought it in. I continued to cast and got another one. I finished the day out at Puffer Lake with 8 sizable rainbows. I gave 2 of them to an angler since they were not going to survive. Several anglers asked me what I was doing to catch all those fish and I told them they needed to extend the hook from the sinker by 3-4 feet depending on the height of the weeds on the bottom of the lake. Apparently they were not clearing the weeds. I decided to call it a day and go home. While I was leaving I heard one of the anglers I had helped get his first rainbow for the day. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]What a great sensation to essentially be able to help someone. As I look back on the weekend I find myself fascinated at what had transpired. It was one the finest times I have had alone for a long time. I finally got back home Sunday night a 10 PM. It didn’t dawn on me how many fish I caught that weekend until I started to count how many hooks I had left. Remember I bought 40 new hooks. Well I only had 12 left. I lost one to a snag and 3 were left on my poles. That leaves 24 hooked fish. I only buy cheap steel hooks so I can leave them in the trout if I have to. [/size][/font]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 3]All fish were caught and released except for 2 that were not going to make it. I gave them away. [/size][/font]

[size 3][font "Times New Roman"][/font][/size] [center][size 3][font "Times New Roman"][Image: cr.gif][/font][/size][/center] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 5]Grand Total [/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 5]23 Rainbow Trout[/size][/font][/center] [center][font "Times New Roman"][size 5]1 Brook Trout[/size][/font][/center]

[font "Times New Roman"][size 5]Now that’s a great weekend![/size][/font]
[signature]
Nighthawk--Sharing your trip was most enjoyable. You put into words what many of us feel. Thanks
[signature]
Why Thanks Hose. I was hoping this would bring back memories of your [size 1]favorite[/size] trips too.
[signature]
Thanks for sharing you weekend adventure. I really enjoyed the story and the pictures. Isn't it great to sit where it is quiet and watch the wildlife. Catching fish is just a bonus for me. It is the outdoors that I enjoy.
[signature]
Amen to that Icefool. Thanks again.
[signature]
Thanks for your post. I can remember living in Las Vegas and looking forward to going to Beaver and fishing as often as I could. I would start to get excited around Pintura. I love fsshing Puffer Lake it has some big brookies. I have always fished for them with gold kastmasters. Thanks for the pics.
[signature]
Hey PescadorUtah Thanks for your remarks. I wanted to try and check out Puffer Lake a little more but didn't have the time. I will be back!
[signature]
Good story, It should be printed in a fishing magazine for all to read and enjoy
[signature]