Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Report Friday 10/17/03
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 2]Bait_Caster and I put in at about 7:30 at the make-shift launch spot. Trolled the N-W dike, the West dike, and even the east area. Neither of us even got a bite all morning. Water temps were about 52 degrees. Beautiful calm day with lots of sun. We were pulling crank bait, spinners, spoons, and even buzz spinners. [/size][/green][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 2]We didn't see any boils at all. The water was still a bit murky. Lures could only be seen 6", maybe 8 " max. [/size][/green][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 2]Even though we didn't catch any fish, we did catch a couple of seagulls. Two seagulls had gotten hooked up fighting over an old bank snagged rattle trap lure. After a little minor surgery, they were free to fly again.[/size][/green][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 2]I sure didn't get much wiper catching action this Fall like other years. I can't remember fishing (or seeing) a single wiper boil this year. I guess I'll just have to hit Powell for that kind of action.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
It is truly Sad to see the state of Willard Bay. I am going out there today to bank fish it with my grandaughter. I will let you know how we did later. Thanks for the report.
[signature]
Thanks for the report OC it sounds like the water is starting to clear up again if you can see your lure at 6 inches or more but it could be a lot better. I think the evening catching might be a little better but there is so many bait fish in the bay right now you never know. Did you have any problems launching, anyone in the way?
It sounds like you guys did your good deed for the day by helping those gulls and you got a free lure out of the deal. Are you thinking about making a trip to Powell this year? WH2
[signature]
[#ff0000]That's quite a picture. I'm sure there's more to the story than just doing a little minor surgery. I bet they didn't just sit there patiently waiting to be rescued and unhooked. Hey if you guys want to catch some wipers next time I'll let you borrow my four-year-old for a few days.[Wink][/#ff0000]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]WH2, . . . . I was thinking the evening fishing might pick up a bit. I was going to go back out that afternoon/evening but decided not to ... maybe I should have. I'm trying to figure out why my luck has been so bad lately out there. No problems launching. The water level has gone down about 2 inches since last week.[/size][/#008000][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]As for making a trip to Lake Powell ... I really want to go, and I could probably get a kitchen pass (not sure though). I think my problem would be finding someone to go with me. All my fishing buddies say they can't go. I'm trying to justify going in two weeks over a 4-day weekend. I'm just starting consider it. No real plans yet.[/size][/#008000][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000][size 3]Hey NOS ... I think that before I go back out to Willard this year, I will definately have to give NOS Jr. a call. Does he charge much for his guide services?[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]"As for making a trip to Lake Powell ... I really want to go, and I could probably get a kitchen pass (not sure though). I think my problem would be finding someone to go with me. All my fishing buddies say they can't go. I'm trying to justify going in two weeks over a 4-day weekend. I'm just starting consider it. No real plans yet"[/#008000][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#008000]I've been wanting to go to Lake Powell for years and fish those striper boils but I haven't made it yet. Maybe this will be the year, is that something you would be interested in talking about? WH2[/#008000][/font]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]WH2,[/size][/green][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]I'll shoot you a PM about the possibilities of doing Powell this Fall.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
OK Coot, now you opened a can of worms!!! I smell a BFT Powell trip!
[signature]
Do I hear BFT Road trip? Anyone else want in? If the weather holds we could do it cheap by camping on the beach. Hey BLM, you up for fishing some striper boils? WH2
[signature]
I think the biggest factor this year is the water cooled off fast,last year when the water temp got below 60 degrees the fishing really slowed down for me,I tried slowing down to see if they would hit.but nothing,I did foul hook some shad this year,there about 2 1/2 inches long and where everywhere on the west side.one funny thing happened I didn't mention was I was trolling with the electric when bam I hit something the next thing I know there is a wiper tail dancing about three skips off the bow of the boat,hahaha,guess he was at the wrong place at the wrong time.I'm just glad to see that they are healthy and the shad are doing well,I didn't know if the poor water quality was going to have a negative affect on them,and man I know where some good structure is when the water comes back up,that section where the christmas trees are,thats where I would catch most my wipers while casting to the shore,now I know why.

I would like to be involved in a powell striper trip,I have caught them,when they are boiling,we used go down every year in the fall for a week,there is nothing like seeing a biol the size of a football field,pop up out of know where,I gave a guy one of the modified prism shads and he said it caught him a bunch of stripers when he went down.just thought I would let ya know.

Tight lines

Tony[cool]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]WH2, Teroy, and FNF,[/size][/green][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]Since there seems to be a little bit of interest for a Lake Powell trip, I decided to start a new post on that subject.[/size][/green][/font]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=74750"][font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=74750[/size][/green][/font][/url]
[signature]