Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making Salsa (Non-Fishing Content)
Since my day is limited to hanging around the house and not being able to fish with the bunch up at Strawberry, I've been relegated to cleaning out the fridge of the remaining garden vegetables. The leftovers that I had to pick reagardless if they were ready to pick or not stuff.

So today we make "Kitchen Sink Salsa" or "End of the Garden Salsa." I've only got about 60lbs of tomatoes & tomatillos to use up should make a killer batch of salsa.

This is the time of year when I make the majority of salsa. All my neighbor give me the ramaining green tomatoes from their gardens and I produce a green tomatoe salsa that is the best I've ever tasted. Hands down better than store bought. Some of you may have tried some of the salsas I make from the very first BFT get together the Jordanelle "Perch Party".

Some day I make a name for myself as the "King of Salsa" but for now I just try to make enough salsa to go around for the family. I suppose I've got enough to last for the winter, this year and the next. So far this summer I've put up over 100 quarts and have probably given away to friends and family half that much.

So far this may summer my salsa has been well traveled. From all over Utah to Texas, New Mexico & California. I've even got one guy coming up here at Thanksgiving to give me some tips and to make some killer salsa during a family visit.

So while you guys enjoy the outdoors today, I'll be thinking of you while I heat up the kitchen, my mouth, and the salsa. For all you folks hunting this weekend salsa makes a great marinade for deer steaks, makes em yummy with a kick!

Good luck and be safe!
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]Very cool Moose,[/size][/green][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]It's great to find a fellow salsa lover right here on the fishing board. I too am a salsa fanatic. I've never tasted a canned salsa that tastes better than fresh. But cannig salsa is a great way to enjoy the products of the garden all year long. I generally do about 120 pints a year. And, like you, give about 1/2 of it away to family and friends every year. I get a real kick out of the kids coming home and going right to the basement to get 3 or 4 pints to take home. I sure would like to trade you some time a bottle of mine for one of yours. What do you say?[/size][/green][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]Check out the attachment.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Hey FFM, what's the deal, Old _Coot gave us a recipe, are we going to get one from you or is it top secret? After I got back from hunting this morning I decided to finish picking the rest of the garden, now I got all these tomatoes sitting in the kitchen and was thinking, I should try and make some salsa. I decided to get on line first and what do I find, someone talking about making salsa, I've never had a recipe but would sure like to give yours a try unless of course it is Top Secret. I was hoping to try Old_Coot's and your recipe so I'd have a variety.

Thanks Old_ Coot I'll be trying yours for sure. WH2
[signature]
Sure any time Old_Coot. What do you like? I've go Zucchinni (Green & Red the red is very hot) Tomatillo, Green Tomatoe, Kitchen Sink, Red tomatoe, Green Chilli - mild & very hot, I've even got Green Chilli Jelly. Where do you live? Because you might have to come out and pick one for yourself!
[signature]
[size 1]FLYFISHINGMOOSE'S ZUCCHINI SALSA - MAKES 6 QUARTS

6 MEDIUM ZUCCHINI'S

10 SMALL ONIONS

6 JALAPENOS

2 BELL PEPPERS

14 MEDUIM TOMATOES

10 MEDIUM TOMATILLOS

6 BANANNA PEPPERS

5 SALSA PEPPERS

1/4 CUP CELLANTRO

1 1/2 LARGE GARLIC CLOVES

2 CUPS LEMON JUICE

1 CUP VINEGAR

2 TABLESPOONS OREGANO

2 TABLESPOONS CUMIN

2 TABLESPOONS BLACK PEPPER

2 TABLESPOONS SALT

1/2 CUP SUGAR

DICE THE ZUCCHINI, ONIONS, JALAPENOS, TOMATOES, TOMATILLOS, BANANNA PEPPERS, SALSA PEPPERS, GARLIC, BELL PEPPERS & CELLLANTRO. PUT ALL INGREDIENTS INTO A LARGE POT SIMMER UNTIL IT REACHES A LIGHT BOIL.

TRANSFER HOT MIX INTO HOT QUART JARS. COOK IN BOILING WATER BATH FOR 30 MINUTES. AFTER 30 MINUTES REMOVE FROM JARS FROM BATH PLACE ON COUNTER TO COOL AFTER 30-40 MINUTES JARS WILL SEAL.

IF YOU DO IT LIKE I DID YOU ATE AT LEAST A QUART OF THE STUFF WITH CHIPS WHILE YOU WERE PREPING IT ALL.

FYI: ALL THE INGREDIENTS CAME OUT OF MY VEGETABLE GARDEN EXCEPT FOR THE GARLIC.

I HOPE YOU ENJOY THIS SALSA, AND ITS ABOUT THE ONLY WAY I'LL EAT ZUCCHINI. NOW YOU KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH ALL THE ZUCCHINI THE NEIGHBORS ARE GIVING YOU. [/size]

I posted this and my fish taco recipe on the General fishing board a while back but since then the recipe has evolved and I haven't gotten aroung to writing it down yet.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]FFM,[/size][/green][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]That does look like a dandy recipe. Isn't that interesting how or recipes evolve over the years? I started mine about seven years ago and every year it gets a little tweeking.[/size][/green][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]From your profile, I see you live in West Jordon. I live about 50 miles north of you in West Point (near Clearfield). What do you say that you, WiperHunter2, and me, all get together this winter for some big lake trout jigging on Bear Lake? We could bring chips and our salsas to share, eat, and keep us warm.[/size][/green][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 3]As things go with BFT members, we generaly end up fishing with each other one way or another. Some day when I get out there with you, I'll definately bring some salsa to trade.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Thanks FFM, I remember when you posted it the first time but could not find the post and at the time I did not have all the end of the season vegetable that I have now. I'll have to try it with out the Zucchini though. WH2
[signature]
[#004000][size 2]Sure I'd like to try that. This year will be my first adventure for icefishing and I'd like to learn the how tos from good teachers and experienced fellow fishermen. When and if we get together this winter I'll bring a sampling of a whole bunch of different salsas. I always like to see peoples reaction to my different varities of salsa. Here is a pic of an average weekend harvest during this summer. Thats my daughter showing off what she picked.[/size][/#004000]
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 2]Ahhhhhh ... The good life.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
Ok you guys got me in the dipping mode - Here is my offer - I'll drive up from Murray with my boat and truck - pick up all 3 folks and head to Bear Lake for a day of jigging/trolling/dipping. Wiperhunter2 has fished in my boat and hopefully we can get into some action at Bear Lake. This Saturday would work for me. I'll pay for all the gas and you guys can turn me onto Salsa and Lake trout - I have not fished bear lake ....

Let me know is your interested....
[signature]
Got my interest.....and the salsa is ready to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
[signature]
That is a great offer Lundman and I don't want to pass it up but this will be the last weekend of the deer hunt. I was thinking if the weather stayed warm this weekend that I did not want to go deer hunting anyway but now the weatherman says the temps are going to drop by 20 degree.

Until the Mac spawn is over around the first week or second week in November the catching can be very spotty at Bear lake(I think that is what BLM said), is there any way we can try it next month? If not, I can understand that also. WH2
[signature]
I can see WH2's point. If you strike out on opening weekend you've got to work that much harder to get your deer. I'm willing to wait a little, by that time I'll have a new batch or two of salsa made and ready for dipping.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 2]OK guys ... You have definately got my attention, vote, and comitement. I too agree with WH2 about waiting till after the spawn ... wait just a little while ... say about the 14th or 15th of November. By then, the long drive from Murry or West Jordon to Bear Lake will probably be much more worth it. My only question is .. Can we fit 4 guys, fishing gear for 4, and about a case of salsa all in one boat? We might want to do two boats. Any way you cut it, for me it would be great fun. I've met WH2 a few times and I think I may have met FFM (at a musky seminar?) and looking forward to meeting Lundman.[/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
After watching the weather last night I too think we should re-schedule for early November. I will let you guys choose what Saturday you would like to go. As far as the boat goes I think we could fish 4 with no problem and everyone would have their own seat. My truck is an extended cab and 3 full grown guys can ride great but the forth is a little snug for that long of drive. Maybe FFM & I could hook up here in Salt Lake and meet you two up at the lake. WH2 has fished out of my boat and can let you know what he thinks would be best. Again I'm not a bear lake fisherman yet...

Get a big Buck WH2 and you guys can decide what weekend will work best.

Have a great day - and we'll hook up soon.
[signature]
I don't think we would have a problem with four of us fishing in Lundman's boat, it is a big roomy boat. As far as driving up there, I would be glad to pick up Old_Coot and drive up there and meet you guy, unless you want to drive OC. Lets keep an eye on the reports and make some plans in the first half of the month. WH2
[signature]
Sounds good to me, I'll let Old Coot and WH2 pick the date I'd be privaleged just to go along with such good company. Yeah since I live in West Jordan I'll meet you anywhere in town before we head up.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 2]This all sounds VERY good. [/size][/green][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][green]WH2, I'll take you up on your offer to drive from the Ogden area and I'll chip in on the gas. We could meet Lundman and FFM somewhere in Ogden, Logan, or at Bear Lake. I suggest that we meet in Ogden and follow up to the lake. I have a pair of walkie-talkies we could use.[/green][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 2]Any problem if I pencil in Nov. 15th? As you say WH2, "keep an eye on the reports" when we get closer we'll know better.[/size][/green][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 2][green]Lundman and FFM, here is a fantastic link to an excelent tutorial on jigging for macks at Bear Lake. It was written by none other than our own resident Bear Lake expert, ... BLM. It has three main sections to concentrate on. Memorize it, blelieve it, ... and then tweek it to fit your own style. You can't go too far wrong if you follow it step-by-step and detail-by-detail.[/green][/size][/font]

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=14976;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread"][font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 2]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=14976;sb=post_latest_reply;so=ASC;forum_view=forum_view_collapsed;;page=unread#unread[/size][/green][/font][/url]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 2]Someone remind me to bring my cisco bait that I froze from last year. It would be a damn shame if I forgot to bring them ... and I have PLENTY for all.[/size][/green][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 2]It's interesting how "Non-Fishing Content" can quickly become "Fishing Content".[/size][/green][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][green][size 2]Bring on the salsa ... pull in the lakers![/size][/green][/font]
[signature]
[#0000ff][size 2]Well I read the first part of BLM essay on jigging at Bear lake and I'm in trouble from the get go.[/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 2]Don't have baitcaster reels, I can get 20lb line but have only med to light weight poles, the rest of the technique I think I can swing. I've got some lures and rigs for jigging and will look for it, but don't got much since I rarely fish for the big boys or from a boat. I'll take a look at what I've got, I think a lot got lost in my last move a few years ago.[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]
Don't worry about not having a bait caster, up until this year neither did I and I've stood toe to toe with BLM on catching fish at Bear lake, of course he did catch the biggest of that trip. For most fishing at Bear lake a med rod will work OK as long as your not talking about a fly rod. I always bring an extra rod and reel so you can use one of mine if that is all we can come up with.
Old Coot I'm not sure about the 15th because that is the first weekend of my late season elk hunt, I'll talk to my partner tomorrow and see if we can change our plans. I guess the weekend before is a full moon and I know we don't want to have that as an excuse do we. WH2
[signature]