Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to go around Delta and Fillmore
Hey all, I am being interviewed for a therapist job down in Delta, and was curious what the fishing is like down there. I'm used to fishing Northern Utah waters, but haven't heard much about what's down there. I do it all (bait/hardware/fly) and catch em all (coldwater and warmwater). So any information on what it's like down there (basically a 2 hour radius from Delta/Fillmore) would be much appreciated.
[signature]
Near Delta you have DMADD and Delta Res for warm water species. Around Fillmore you have chalk creek, meadow creek and corn creek for trout. It doesn't compare to northern Utah in my opinion, but it's better than nothing.
[signature]
[quote happybob91]Hey all, I am being interviewed for a therapist job down in Delta, and was curious what the fishing is like down there.[/quote]

Gunnison Bend just might have a million dollar fish in it!
http://cabelasfishformillions.com/eligiblewaters

http://wildlife.utah.gov/hotspots/detail...1277739205
[signature]
To add to what rctalbot has said, there can be some really good warm-water fishing in gunnison bend reservoir just west of Delta and in DMAD a couple miles north-east of Delta. The river between Deseret all the way upstream through both reservoirs to yuba can also have some very good fishing.

I say 'can' because so much of it depends on the level of the reservoirs and the flow in the rivers. I was talking to a person from the DWR and was told that there are very good crappie and white bass populations in both reservoirs this year with both species having some pretty good size to them. Channel catfish, walleye, Largemouth bass, perch, carp (of course), green sunfish, bluegill, and bullheads are all fairly common in the sevier. Above DMAD, there are also some smallmouth bass. You'll also get the occasional Northern PIke. In Leamington canyon, there used to be lots of SMB and some of them with really good size. They may still be there, but I haven't fished it seriously in quite a few years.

For cold-water, you also have Oak Creek in oak city canyon.

Since you're talking about a 2-hour radius, you can count Utah lake in that because you can get to several parts of it from Delta in 90-ish minutes.

Matt
[signature]
In the 2 hr mark you can also add alot of the waters around Beaver too.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.