Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hot Weather and Houdini (AZ Report)
[cool]Couldn't wait any longer for the fall weather pattern to get here. Had to go fishing. Daytime temps have been back up to 100 with nighttime temps only dropping to the early 70's. That does not get the water cool enough to bring the bass and other species back to the shallows for prime fishing.

Went through the gate at Saguaro Lake at 6:30 AM. Hit the water at 7:00. Air temp 72, water temp 75....warming to 77.5 as I kicked from shallow to deeper water. Knew it was not going to be a stellar day when I got bogged down in the still prolific aquatic weed growth. It is usually thinning out by this time of year, and the fish move in.

As soon as I reached the outside of the weed line, in about 14 feet of water, I started slinging topwater...just in case there were some largies that had not checked their calendar, their thermometer or the lousy fishing reports. I did not get a splash or a follow...on buzzers or any of my prop floaters.

I switched to drop shotting a new storm finesse minnow, in Tennessee shad. They look good to me, but there were no votes from the fish. I did have a couple of taps, but they were likely only lovesick bluegill.

Started through my arsenal of jigs and Roadrunners. Had a couple of light hits and hooked one surprised bluegill. That was it up until 9:00 AM.

As I was vertical jigging a little white bait bug in 15 feet of water...and munching a breakfast sandwich...THUMP. I was using my ultra light spinning rod with 4# line and the fish powered out to deeper water. That was fine with me. My Excalibur line cuts weeds pretty good, but I prefer to avoid them when I can.

About ten minutes later, I scooped up a 23" channel cat. It looked like he had gotten tangled in some of the weed growth, but it was a strange color. The weeds are long strands of green or greenish brown. The channel cat had something reddish hanging from its face. As I grabbed it out of the net, I saw that it was a cheapy rope stringer. Someone had caught this fish before, tied it to a stringer and then either hung it over the side of a boat or stuckthe end into the bank. Whichever..."Houdini" the cat had made his escape and took the stringer with him.

As you can see in the closeup, the stringer is tied into one corner of the fish's mouth, and the little white bait bug is clearly hooked in his lip right next to it. It was difficult to tell how long Houdini had been dragging that rope around, but he was actively feeding. He hit my jig with gusto and he had crawdad parts in his innards when I got him to the fillet board. He was just a bit thin...weighing only 4.1 pounds. Most fish from Saguaro that length will be a pound or so heavier, when they have been feeding well.

Normally, I would have removed the stringer and let him have his hard-won freedom. I admire a survivor. But, it has been awhile since we have had some fresh "kitty krispies" and cornbread, so TubeBabe outvoted me. A tie vote don't mean nothin' when you're married. Ya know?

I talked her into taking a couple of pics, joking (I thought) that this might be the only fish we caught all day. Danged if I wasn't right. She had only three or four tentative taps, and I missed one more good thump.

We were off the water about 11 AM. Water temp was up to almost 79 and the air was coming up on 95. There were quite a few shore anglers and several boaters...and a couple of rafters and tubers. There was not one other fish caught that we saw or heard about. The weather was hot, but the fishing was not.
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]It's funny how that fish got around with that stringer in the weeds and such. I was expecting a different end. I figured you let him go after that. Instead you ate him. HA! Life is so unfair![/size][/font]
[signature]
[Wink]Wow T.D., that's one hell of a tough fish, that Mr. houdini. As for the "bait bug," I've never heard of that before, but I'm really new to jig fishing. Judging by the picture is that one of those little white jig's with the fuzzy/furry stuff with it (something I'd call a crappie jig) or is it different than that. As for your tube, are those rack things on back standard with your tube or did you build them yourself, or buy them? I've never seen a tube as tricked out as yours. I have a "Fish Cat" that I bought at Fish Tech in Holladay, and it's about the same general horseshoe type shape that yours is, but much more stripped down I guess. Anyhooters, I went to Schofield (sp?) today. Look for my report soon.
[signature]
Hey TD, you sitting in a pontoon of tube? I wish I sat that high in my tube! I'm looking for a new one next year along with waders. I'm tired of repairing them. Nice rig and nice Houdini cat!
[signature]
[cool]I figured he was a two time loser. If I released him he would just go find another lure or bait, figuring he knew the drill by now and would get released. Besides...I had the hungries for fresh fish. Honest, I let all the macks go.

Two sayings: 'SURVIVAL OF THE FATTEST" & "STUPIDITY IS ITS OWN REWARD."
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Outter and Mooseman, I'll kinda ccmbine my response here...to save words. HA HA HA HA. Me...save words?

My craft is the Outcast Super Fat Cat...made by Outcast, just like OFT's Fish Cat. By the way, for the dollar, you got a better buy. I got the Super to try out the new inflated seat. If you don't air it up enough, you slip and slide. If you do air it up tight, it is like sitting on a hard church bench. Been there, done that and would rather have more cushion.

But, as Moose so sharply observes, it does sit you up out of the water a lot more than the round boats and most U boats and mini pontoons. That can help you stay warmer in cold water and makes for less drag "under power". And, with the pointed bow, you can kick into wind and waves better than with a round craft...or some of the blunt ended minipontoons...like the Kennebec I recently retired.

I invite anyone with float tube related questions to pop over to the float tube forum on BFT. I am moderator there and we have a lot of past threads which cover everything from choosing a craft to waders, fins, sonar, rod racks, etc. Either click on the Main Index on this page, and scroll down to the Float Tubing link...or just click here: [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?jump=forum%3D81"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?jump=forum%3D81[/url]

The "bait bug" in the fish's kisser is one of my own design and creation. Most of the regulars on the forum have been "exposed" to them. For your benefit, I will attach a pic and a writeup at the bottom. If you would like to get more info or try to make them yourself, PM or email me and I will be happy to "download" more stuff on ya.

Same with the rod racks. Those are my own design, and I have lots of pics and diagrams. Many of them you can find in past threads on the float tube board. Ditto for the sonar. I wouldn't leave home without it.

I look forward to the report on Schofield...another of Utah's fine fisheries that I dearly miss...and look forward to meeting again next year. Keep those fish trained for me.
[signature]
Thanks TD, its always an education to read on of your posts.
[signature]
Great report TD. Glad you got out and had some fun. You'd love the weather up here right now! Wierd for so late in October. The deer hunt on Saturday valley temps were around 80, up where I was it was more like 70 degrees. It got a little hot when we were doing a lot of hiking, but beautiful weather. I shoulda went fishing instead. lol
[signature]