Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
LM bass lures
What's your go to lure??? I want to improve. I mostly use 3 1/2 in reaper, Kamakazee. guacamole reapers (drop shot) or wacky hooked Tiki-Stick Pumpkin/black fleck Wave worms w/o weight. Want to know what I'm missing.[Smile] My problem is, I'm stubborn and just don't change what works for me. Obviously there are other lures that, if I'm willing to change, might improve my techniques.
[signature]
Woolly Buggers with long rubber legs in Olive and in Black.[cool]
[signature]
Honestly depends on the time of year. Spring is normally either plastics like Fat Ika, Roboworm, or Senko, or I'll use dark colored Jigs. Summer will often be some of the same along with jerk baits or some surface baits. In the fall I'll use some lipless crankbaits in addition to the others mentioned. Here in SoCal bass can be caught most of the year and it's good for 7 or more months depending on weather conditions.
[signature]
There is a lot of fun in learning new techniques. As mentioned above, a lot of it is seasonal. Seems like you have the plastics down pretty well (although I'm surprised not to see a 6" texas-rigged worm on there).

Other things to try are spinnerbaits, crankbaits and frogs. Frogs are more for specific situations, but if you can find a frog bite you'll be hooked.

Years ago, I fished worms almost exclusively. In the past 10 years or so, I have become confident fishing spinnerbaits, cranks, flukes, topwater, jerkbaits, frogs, jigging spoons and probably others I can't think of right now. The key is recognizing the right time for each.
[signature]
Oh yeah, jigs too!

You might be surprised. After learning some new techniques, you might find that those days that are slow for your current go-to's are prime for other baits.
[signature]
Good posts and good ideas before mine... Like most on this forum, I also fish from a float tube. UNLIKE (I believe) most on this forum, I fish nearly entirely farm ponds.

You didn't mention what sort of water (lakes, ponds, or rivers), or the cover/structure you encounter most often... so I'll tell you what works for me.

The (farm) ponds I fish get very heavily weeded within a month or so after ice-out, so it dramatically limits the kind of lures I can use. As mentioned previously - FROGS!!

I use both the soft plastic "solid" frogs and the hollow-bodied frogs (Spro, Snag Proof, Scum, etc.). With regard to the "solid" frogs, you can get small ones, big ones, and ones that float and ones that sink. They ALL work and just that some work better depending upon the conditions YOU fish.

With the conditions *I* fish, I'm usually making very short casts, so I'll even fish small 3.5"-4.5" tubes, weightless! (Think of it as a small frog!) They can be killers! Like with the frogs, some sink and some float.

If you want to make your sinking tube float, you can insert a small piece of sponge or one of those roll-up foam ear plugs into the hollow body cavity... and you can even add scent to either BEFORE inserting to provide a "scent-trail" if you want.

There are lots of options depending on what/where you fish. Think of your float-tube or pontoon or whatever you have as just being a small boat. Choose your fishing EQUIPMENT and TECHNIQUE based on the conditions on YOUR waters.

Good luck! [Wink]
[signature]