Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
jordan river tips
Can anyone give me some tips on channel catfishing in the jordan river. I will be fishing near saratoga springs. And can you maybe post a picture of your catchs. Thank you.
[signature]
Dont fish off the bridge on main street in saratoga springs that place is garbage for fishing. around this time I try to hit the river about 2-3 times a week. Probably fish near the shores as the bigger fish hang around there. Fishing in the middle of the river most likely will net you small bullheads. What rig setup do you plan on using? I mostly use a ounce wieght with a swivel and size 4-6 hooks. Fish near vegetation and underbrush or trees that fell in the river from the shore if thats around you. If your fishing for white bass, or walleye I see alot of people catching them near the pumpoutlets in saratoga springs. I see them just throwing in jigs and pulling out buckets of white bass, I dont know what color is best though.
[signature]
I dont know what bait is best either because I caught Nice size channels with shrimp, cutbait, worms, and chicken liver. Worms works the best for me I just throw the whole worm on which kind of weeds out the smaller fish. The biggest ones I caught a 16lb and a 10lb channel cat. The 16lb was caught with worms near the shore as I casted as close as I cast to the other sides shoreline. The 10 lb was caught with a live crawdad I caught. I dropped it in the water right from the shore just as the crawdad hit the bottom thecat hit the bait hard.
[signature]
Much of what Joe said is right on. I caught a 25" and 26" channel cat below the pump house using full white bass fillets. BIG baits catch big fish, imo. I hadn't caught a damn thing for two hours using worms and lures, but then I got lucky and caught a white bass on a spinner. Filleted him right there and slapped it on the 15lb braided pole... Took about 5 minutes. I cast to the middle and let the current carry it to the side below me. I use a small bullet weight just to help it get down. You can cast to the sides if you would like, but why not toss it in the middle and maybe catch the HOG that is chilling out there? The current usually pulls the bait right to where the forage would normally end up, in my opinion. Very powerful strikes on the Jordan, so be wary of your poles. I almost lost one, even though I had the drag set to zero. Very strong fish.

Anyhow, white bass meat has been my top producer this year both on Utah Lake and the Jordan. (crawdad also works well if you can catch them -- I don't put the whole thing on, but just rip the tail off and split the shell a little bit to release scent and make it easier for the hook to penetrate.)
[signature]