Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Starvation 5/19/12
Hit starvy today with wiper hunter for what turned out to be a slow day. After the storm on Friday the fish seemed to be scattered deep and not biting real well. Defiantly not the day we were hoping for. Started out pitching jigs shallow and on the first cast whacked a 20" slimer, and on wiper hunters first cast, the same thing. Another slimer and one chasing it in the next five minutes was enough for me. Time for blades. Picked up walleye from 20ft - 35ft deep going 1.2-1.4 mph. Went through 57 night crawlers today so there always seemed to be something biting. A lot of pop and drops though. Wound up with 8 or 9 walleye, 5 slimers, half a dozen perch, and a few bass. The hot rigs were Kokanee Creek Tackle Walleye Series in the bread and butter pattern and black pearl. Water temp was 52 at launch and 62 when we got off. The bite should improve soon with steady weather. [fishon]
[signature]
Nice EYES Mike just wondering you seem to do well on the eyes with those blades are you using bottom bouncers or downriggers? if bouncers which ones i have had no luck with bouncers as of yet wonder if I am doing it wrong or using the wrong ones?
[signature]
I prefer the pencil style bouncers with sinker slide set up. When a fish picks it up I pickup the rod, sweep it back and "feed" the fish. When I feel weight I set the hook. Also while feeding back I am essentially stopping the whole rig which allows the fish to feel the least resistance possible, you can't do that with the "L" shaped bouncers. Remember, constant bottom contact is key, but not too much so the bouncer lays down and the rig is dragging bottom. Release your bail till it hits bottom then lock it in, the forward motion of the boat will raise it slightly but not to much. If necessary, do a second release to account for the drag back. And watch your sonar like a hawk, always adjusting you rod for every .5 to 1ft of depth change. No dropping the spinner and kicking back waiting for the rod to bend over... That's for trout fishing[fishon]
[signature]
thanks for that info! I thinkg i am using the L shaped ones do you have a link or a picture of the ones you use so I can go check them out thanks again and sorry for so many questions
[signature]
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Fishing/T...t104231880
[signature]
great job Mike. You are the tooth monster!
[signature]
It might not have been catching as fast as you wanted but it was by far the best day of fishing I've ever had at Starvation, thanks for the trip Mike[Smile]. I really enjoyed getting out there and fishing with you. And for you trout folks those bows in there have some shoulders on them, pulling out drag and making some great runs. I kept one around 3 lbs and the meat was really pink, it looked like the color of salmon. The smalley in the pic was a nice one as well, wish we would have keep it, maybe next time.
[signature]
Yes, for all you trout guys, I encourage you to go to starvation and harvest as many trout as legally possible! Bring your friends and have trout whacking parties[Wink]. But on a serious note they are way healthy for planter bows, fat and big. We saw a wakeboard boat trolling with random lures at what ever speed the inboard idled at and they caught some. I smoked a 8 pounder out of there a few years ago and the meat was really pink. For all you guys looking to try your hand at walleye starvation is a great place, and if they flip their middle fin at ya go and catch a limit of slimers to finish the day... [fishon]
[signature]