Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordan river fishing
Hey guys, I've been lurking for about a week reading this forum and dang there's a ton of good info here. I'm new to Utah, I've only been here maybe a month but it dident take me long to go fishing. Third day in Utah I was at Walmart buying a license and powerbait Big Grin.

So here's my question. Can anyone recomend a good area around Jordan river to fish for catfish? I've heard good things about thanksgiving point and further south towards saratoga springs. I'm up in kearns so I was hoping for somewhere a little closer downriver.

Thanks ahead of time.
[signature]
Anywhere along the river will work. Find a place that has a bit of a slower current, maybe around a bend or something, and a place for you to sit comfortably in a chair -- you're set. Worms will work, but if you can get some white bass meat, that seems to work best for me. Bigger baits/hooks will keep the dink mud cats off the line better.
[signature]
Greetings Roy and welcome to Utah. I fish the Jordan river a few times a week and have always done well anywhere i fish. Like Trout Bum said worms work great for the smaller mud cats and now and then you may get a nice size cat but white bass works like magic.
I tend to use smaller white bass whole with just a few cuts in their sides with a large hook under the spine. Using that I have pulled in several cats over 15 pounds. I have seen other anglers using white bass chunks with some great success as well.

Good luck out there and catch a big cat.

Joshua
[signature]
Thanks for the replys. I'm gonna try finding some calm waters with hopefully some trees on the banks or just foliage where some fish kitties might hide and see if I land any. I notice the river is wider the close to Utah lake. Does the width of the river matter much?
[signature]
Do you mean in terms of water speed or fish population?
[signature]
if you can figure out the spots on the jordan where it gets concentrated small or splits into 2 rivers about the size of millcreek then you will catch more cause its calmer and the fish concentrate in the deeper holes, and yes there are areas like that for all species. but a thing to try like everyone has said is to just find any slck water or calm shoreline and there should be fish.
[signature]
I like to look for parts of the river that are not to wide. Then I throw my line to the opposite shoreline near weeds and brush and tree stumps or where ever it looks like there is a pool where the water slows down. Thats called slack water. Worms, white bass meat, chicken liver (if you can sack it up with pantyhose) are all very good baits on the jordan river. When my kids come along or I need some fresh fish bait I just tie some string and a hook to a stick with a piece of worm and I chuck it as far as I can but not to far from the shoreline. its a Good way to catch small whitebass, Right there I chop it up, place a piece of the fish on my hook, and thats how I like to get my cutbait.
[signature]
I spent the afternoon yesterday floating and sinking worms on the Jordan with little luck. I finally snagged a white bass (my first) and sliced it up on the spot and tossed it out. From then on it was non stop bullheads. White bass definitely get their attention.

There were entire schools of small (maybe one to two inches long) cats in the shadows along the shore. Cute little buggers. Wanted to scoop one up and use it for bait. [cool]
[signature]