Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CARP HELP PLEASE
Hello everyone,
Stumbled upon this page and just cant help but want to dive in to those brown beasts on a fly. Found some great info from other posts, but a few questions if i may. First, I have a 6wt sage vxp, is this big enough? second, are there any great places to start, or at least a direction to head? Third, a technique or two may be helpful.....nymph deep, dry's, line, leaders.......(brain smoking)???? so Confused in an area I know nothing about. Any advise is much appreciated! I'd love the opportunity for some hands on pointers if someone is looking for an excuse to get out as well. thanks
[signature]
In Salt Lake City I use glo-bugs year 'round, along with wooly buggers and back stabbers. If you tie, youtube has some great tutorials on how to tie them up quickly. I've found the best way to fish them is to sight fish. That can be tricky in nasty water, but 95% of my successful catches have come from sight casting. Just place the fly 24 to 36" in front of the fish (as it's cruising) or right on his head if he's rooting around on the bottom. I get most of my strikes as it's sinking. I've also noticed that any type of movement will spook the fish, so I try not to even twitch the fly which goes against everything I've learned about fishing flies. Again, I'm sure this varies by state and water.

As for your rod, if it's a Sage it has a lifetime guarantee on it, so who cares if you break it, right? It would have to be a pretty mean ass carp to do that kind of damage though, imo. I've taken over 50 10lb+ on my crappy off-brand 5 weight and had no problems.

Good luck, and when in doubt, youtube is your friend for technique and presentation. (or just get out there and figure out what the local fish want by trial and error)
[signature]
the sage will work jsut fine for carp. I personally think an 8 wt is ideal, but i take a 6 as a back up. the 8 just shortens the fighting time a little, if you dont have another rod, maybe just look into getting a medium range reel in a 7/8 or a 6/7 so that it can hold more backing. if you latch into a big carp you will appreciate that extra backing.
[signature]
As Dave mentioned, sight is the best way, but that is not a factor for me lately. The waters I fish are so over grown with grass and stained. I look more for movement. You can tell where they are by movement under the water. Occasional mouth or fin too. Only problem is knowing which way they are headed.

Fort the most part I have caugh a lot of Common and Mirror, but right now, the game is GRASS Carp. For them I am going to say, 8 weight all the way. You are not only pulling a 10+ lb fish, but it's living room as well.
Grass Carp seem thicker to me as well. All Carp are solid, but Grass are plus solid.

Like any other fish, if they are top feeding use a dry, if they are rising once in awhile, try sub surface. If you see just shadows, fish deep.

My flies of choice are clousers or flies with dumbbell eyes, and of course glow bugs.
If they are on the surface, Elk Hair at times or NYmphs like Haresears and my favorite, Prince Nymph.

You are more a hunter with Carp than a fisher, but I have got nice big surprises by just casting out and slow strip in.

Going to check on my Grass carp in the morning, had one last week that was AWESOME!!!!
[signature]
Thank you guys so much! are u using sinking line for the most part? Our I guess just depends? I'm actually sitting in the truck at my first ever attempt spot, just catching up haha. Wish me luck, I'll post pics if I'm lucky enough to nab one!
[signature]
No sinkng line for me. Carp are never that deep that I go after. A 9' leader covers that. Easier to watch a floating line. But that is just me I am sure.
[signature]
You guys are the best...one about four pounds, second one easily over ten..broke off three more. Thanks! Couldn't have done it without u guys
[signature]
Thanks again guys! Just put the tape to my rod...first evver 40 inch fish...sure that's one of a lifetime (hopefully not).[cool][cool]
[signature]
Congratulations! That's a beast!
[signature]