Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the Jordan River runs through Willow Park Lehi utah
I posted about this park about a month ago and since then the park has got a new park manager so it has been restored to its glory days. With that said, every time I go out there on a weekday or sunday the place is so desolate. Does no one really know of this spot? Friday and saturday it is a lil busy but your always able to find a spot to fish. Also it looks like a different river runs into the jordan river at that park. Does anyone know what river that is? And I heard something like that can be a whitebass/walleye hotspot. sunday 5-20-2012 I was able to see the bottom at a spot and saw three fish either they were perch or walleye!!!!! Caught all kinds of fish yesterday though. Perch, crappie, bluegill, carp, white bass, channel cat (my first of the year),bullhead, crawdads..Place is a blast especially when I have it to myself most of the time. There is also a place especially made for floattubes, pontoons, and small boats to enter the river. Hope to see some of you there someday. Here is a pic of a carp and bullhead caught at willow park
[signature]
if thats a bullhead its state record length about, but i think its a small channel but i could be wrong its kinda a wierd angle on the fish.
[signature]
definitely a bullhead.
[signature]
bullhead are darker and channels are about that color in the jordan, heres some mudacts out of the jordan
[signature]
Color is not a reliable indicator, because both channel cats and bullheads can vary greatly in coloration. Channels cats have forked tails--usually deeply forked. Bullheads have square tails.
[signature]
Look at the tail its not a channel. Mudder
[signature]
you gotta good point there on the tail, looks like a pig mudcat, that thing is like 15 inches, and the state record is only 14". ive been trying to get a state record mudcat C&R but have only had some like 13 and 3/4 inches. i think the color Confused me cause the ones i usually get can almost be black. big mudcat though[Smile]

tightlines
[signature]
a state record? Thats like the smallest bullhead I caught all year. I would say its only about 10-13 inches and wieghed only a 1 and a half pounds. it was a wierd angle, I took that pic myself. My phone battery died because I was using it at work. For the carp I had to have a friend come down and take the pic then email it to me
[signature]
the record is only 14 so if youvr gotten bigger ones you should record it.
[signature]
About 3 years ago I once caught the most beautiful bullhead I have ever seen. It was long, and shiny, and had a very nice color to it. If this fish was a human bieng in high school it would of been the star quarterback dating the star cheerleader. I want to say about 24-30 inches long and 5-8 lbs. I looked it up and on the dnr state fish record site it says the biggest bullheads is what you said 14" and about 3 lbs. On this forum I seen pics of other bullheads alot bigger than that how come no one else record thiers. i didnt even know that was the record wow!!!
[signature]
In my opinion catching a mudder is worse than catching a carp, they are all small and are pretty dumb so I try every thing to keep them off and I think most people dont care for them so they arent interested in turning in a record. Just my opinion
[signature]
Thats a good point. They are annoying me a lot this year. especially if your a bank tangler. Well then im going to set a goal of getting a record bullhead this year and recording it. Can I go to walmart or smiths and get it recorded or do I have to do it by mailing a pic and filling out a application to the dnr online
[signature]
You gotta go through the dwr. They have the applications online then just send it in
[signature]
I'm looking for some spots on the jordan river to go fish... where do you go when you get to this park?
[signature]
when you get to this park as there is only one way to drive in you will stay on the road past the camp director on the left and the stop sign on the right. past that make a right onto the dirt road all along that river is fishing spots. Today I went and fished near a Inlet. I was getting fish so big the would break my line. I am using spiderwire and it would break at the line that the hook came attached with. I reeled in some nice bullhead today. One bite was so hard, I had My pole lying on a y stick and the back end flipped all the way up. When I pulled it to set the hook it just broke, then I seen the fish jump, it was huge but couldnt tell if it was a carp, or bullhead, or channel. Also there is a bike/walking path in that park and park near it take your pole andf takle box walk along the path and there is some super nice spots along the path within the trees with alot of flat land and fire pits.
[signature]
Awesome! i am new to fishing the jordan river... what do you use? and what technique is best?
[signature]
Im actually about to go right now. I use worms, shrimp, chickin liver wrapped in pantyhose, cutbait. Tonight I will use shad Minnows fished on the bottom in slack water, worms, shrimp and cutbait. I like to fiah near the shore or in slow moving parts of the river because they seem to hold the bigger fish. I believe they sit there waiting for food. I also fish with a bobber and like like to suspend my what ever bait im using a couple inches off the bottom of slow moving water. I dont have a fish finder so I use my line below my bobber to indicate how deep it is. If the line falls directly under the bottom of my bobber I know its not touching the bottom. If the line below my bobber is sitting away from my bobber with slack line then I know my bait is sitting on the bottom and I tinker with it like that. Theres also another spot not 5 minutes from that. If you can find the bridge on main street that the jordan river crosses theres a couple fishing spots around there. Right next to the bridge is a entrance to a niegbhorhood right before the nieghborhood is a dirt pathway looking like it leads to no where. Drive up on it and go deep along the path. Watch out its a tough road so if you have a car I wouldnt recomend it after rain. Along the path there is several fishing spots. Some there some I carved out. you have to look because they look hidden but provide plenty of space to cast. The other side is all willow trees is what I believe thier called or cattails, anyways the river is not wide right there so getting to the other side is fairly easy with a good setup. fish there three or four times and guaranteed to pull out some nice size fish.
[signature]