Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Henry's Fork report
Took off yesterday for a few hours fishing the Henry's Fork around Vernon bridge. The stone fly hatch is definitely in full swing. However the fish don't seem to be keying in on them. I only saw one fish hitting anything on the surface. After watching him a few times I put a stonefly on and drifted it over him. About the fourth time he hammered it! I set the hook and it took off into the main current behind me. I started to turn around so I could keep an eye on it for the fight and promptly lost my footing. Unfortunately I couldn't scramble for balance and keep the hook set and the fish came off. It seemed like a good sized one to. I tried for a while longer in that area throwing the stonefly along the bank and nymphing under an indicater further out in the holes. After a while I packed up and moved downstream to just above the Chester backwaters. There were a few stonefly's there but not nearly as thick. Watched a couple guys in a boat catch 2 fish nymping, but I never got a hit again. Beautiful day at least and it was really exciting to watch that fish smash a dry fly within ten feet of me!
[signature]
Fun to get a good one on the surface like that.

Is the work on the dam above there muddying up the waters there?
[signature]
I have never hit the stonefly hatch just right. My schedule never seems to match the flies and the fishes.

Windriver
[signature]
We had pretty similar results to you when we floated Vernon to Chester Dam on Friday. Bugs everywhere but the fish must have been gorged on nymphs. We had a few hits on top but more on the rubber legs dropper. Ended up landing two decent rainbows and lost another. Also, I am pretty sure I've taken more spills on that part of the river than any other place I fish. It's a slick bugger!
[signature]