Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Remind me, why aren't gas prices lower?
I check the price per barrel of oil just about daily and in the last two weeks or so, it has gone from $105.00 a barrel to less than $91 a barrel today. The last time it was this cheap, gas was less than $3 a gallon but I go to my local gas station and the price isn't going down, it is going up[mad]. What the heck is going on?[unimpressed]

[url "http://finance.yahoo.com/"]Oil[/url]
(I see it is going up again since I first made this post)
[signature]
Memorial Day weekend would be my guess, although I read an article on Sunday that said prices would be down for the holiday, which seemed backward to me.

Praise Gordon Hayward that I bought that ugly little Prius all those years ago... 250k miles and still getting 44mpg. I may be a fat guy in an ugly little car, but... I'm ok with that.
[signature]
Its called "screw your buddy"/greed
[signature]
I have nothing but experience to base this on and it is just my opinion....

Gas prices are driven by seasonal supply/demand rather than actual barrel cost.

The mighty "Green" and "Greed" rule!
[signature]
Oil speculators. Refinery costs. Summer demand. Record profits for the oil companies.

Remember that hurricane a few years back named Katrina? She, along with a couple "lesser" hurricanes, was blamed for the astronomical gas price increases that year, and in the year following. The gas prices skyrocketed, and never went back down!

Now they have us thinking something around $3.25/gal. would be "cheap!" It was around $2.00 in WY right before that stupid hurricane, and even less the winter before.

Profits soared, so why lower them back down? says Exxon et al.

And they know they have us by the balls. I'm driving all over Wyoming and Montana this summer, whether its $3.00 or $6.00, and they KNOW it!
[signature]
True that! However, I spend large sums of money monthly at Smiths and today we filled up ($3.59 @ Smiths in Heber) and had 60 cents a gal discount. Filled the Truck and the two gas cans we had from our camp trip, plus both generators at $2.99 gal. Not cheap but cheaper than we are going to see here in happy valley.
I never thought I would see the day it cost almost $20 to fill a Harley...LOL
[signature]
We do the Smith's thing too. Filled up once a few weeks ago in WY for $2.39. But, we had to spend a grand at Smiths to get the $1.00 off and "save" $27 on a fill-up for the truck. We go there anyway, but it takes a few months to spend $1,000 for us. I also use a credit card that gives me a 3 percent discount on my gas purchases. Still, our gas budget is over the top. I'm still going though. Every trip, every time. I'll cut somewhere else to make ends meet.
[signature]
[url "http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=cln12.nym"]Oil[/url] 87.480003 And the price per barrel drops even more. I see the pump price is starting to drop.
[signature]
Takes weeks to translate to the pump. It is an election year,barring a natural disaster,I suspect prices will drop. I had heard there is legislation that will put a stop to the speculation that drives up prices,effective this fall.
[signature]
And oil continues to drop in price per barrel. Here is todays price: [url "http://finance.yahoo.com/"]Oil 80.589996[/url]
[signature]
Truth is that we have the power to decide the price of gas. Remember a few years ago when gas skyrocketed and people stopped going on vacations and driving so much? The price went down. Gas is no different than any other product, if the demand goes down they'll be forced to drop the price. What gets me is that we sit on one of the most oil rich countries in the world and we BUY our oil.
[signature]
Agreed on all points.With the price per barrel dropping but the over all gas prices remaining high, any bets on the gas companies making record profits this year[Wink], I guess that is a no brainer. I wonder how long it will take for our government to start asking them why[:/]?
[signature]
The government would rather worry about Roger Clemens using steroids than worry about the citizens financial situation. We spent 3 million dollars on that trial, who gives a rats @$$ if he or anyone else shoots up? Makes the games more interesting, I'd rather see shots over the fence all night than grounders any day. This countries priorities are seriously out of whack. Sorry, just venting, this stuff just drives me freaking crazy!
[signature]
I also heard a report saying that Utah is pushing the top ten for the highest gas prices in the nation. So other areas may be seeing the drop but it hasn't hit here yet if it ever does.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I havent been watching the gas so much but diesel just hit 3.53 a gallon in farmington. Made me actually want to fill all the way up.
[signature]
[url "http://finance.yahoo.com/q;_ylt=Ahaa5_M4oUxKxXaPbTz.o9yiuYdG;_ylu=X3oDMTIyYmpzdDU2BG1pdANGaW5hbmNlIEZQIE1hcmtldCBTdW1tYXJ5IDIEcG9zAzcEc2VjA01lZGlhUXVvdGVzTWFya2V0U3VtbWFyeQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTFpNzk0NjhtBGludGwDdXMEbGFuZwNlbi11cwRwc3RhaWQDBHBzdGNhdANob21lBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25z;_ylv=3?s=clq12.nym"]Oil[/url] 78.360001 price per barrel today.I did hear today that the average price per gallon, nation wide, has dropped to $3.40 a gallon, looks Utah is higher as usual.[unimpressed]
[signature]
I have always used premium. OUr price here in the Twin Falls area has only came down 6 cents. It is still 3.93 a gallon. We are getting hosed. Ron
[signature]
I got back from South Carolina a week ago. Yes gas is pretty much under $3 except right along the interstate highway where it topped out at about $3.19.
I saw Utah was 9 th highest a week ago but you also got to remember they're comparing 85 octane here in Utah with 87 octane in all but about 5 other states. If you compare 87 to 87 then Utah was highest except Hawaii, Alaska, California and Colorado. So the comparisons don't really show how badly where taking it here.
[signature]
Thats why I run on natural gas, In 3 years it has only had 1 increase, from $1,25 TO $1,49 and it is consistantly the same price throughout the state. It's produced here, is 80% cleaner immisions. And the preformance is not much different. And if I buy the home pump ( hooks up to your home gas meter) I'll be paying more like 75 cents a gallon . I'm giving the later some serious consideration.
[signature]
I've been looking into buying a used NGV for a few years now but I haven't been able to find one in a 4x4, factory made that is. What do you have?
[signature]