Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Castaic fishing report for 10/18
[cool][size 1] We arrived a 5:30 am. Water temp was 76degrees. There were not alot of jumpers on the water. But I did take my flyswatter with me this time.

I decided to try some of the new ammo that was sent to me by TubeDad and quickly rigged up the fly rod while my son, tubeNtoo was hooking up the heavy artillary for the big boys to play with.

After several successful casts there was nothing. I went through most of my new selection but couldn't get anything to take. As soon as I rerigged on the spinning rod with the same flies, it made a whole new presentation for them and they changed their mind as to the menu items. This was the same approach as saltwater fly casting.

Before sunrise I already caught 4 LMB. All under 30# so they went back into the water. 1-5lb 1-3lb 1-2 1/2 and 1- 6incher.(you guess the weight).ha ha.

By sunrise, we heavy into bluegill action. Not only were they hitting on their regular waxies, but they were also banging on a new black spinner fly made by TD.

In the past I could never get them to hit on crawlers. This time was different. They were going for my home made green crawlers with essence of chovy scent. I am going to make some Euro worms next.

We ended up catching 40 gills between 3/4 and 1 1/4 lbs each. Guess what we had for dinner?? I only took 20 home and left 20 for torpedo Tommy and cousins...............plural!!!! There are more hanging around the pier now. They appear to be in the 15-20lb range. But none of them are Moby Dick.

We are still trying and are not giving up. We left the Lagoon at 11:00am. Water temp 84degrees. Ambient temp 92deg. [/size]
[signature]
[cool]Sounds like a fun trip. Fishing is still slow over here, but the weather is due to get cooler by the end of the week. We need some cooler water.
[signature]
[mad][#ff0000][size 1]Hey TD,[/size][/#ff0000]

[#ff0000][size 1]As your # 1 knows, the weather here is crazy. Been around 100 the last several days. Must head north for some decent temperatures.[/size][/#ff0000]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1159;]
[signature]
[cool]Thanks for the kind thoughts and the cool picture. I can look at it and try to remember what hypothermia means.

The good news is that it is supposed to drop into the low 90s or high 80s here by the weekend. I guess I had better break out my thermal undies and my parka.
[signature]
If it starts to get into the eighties here, then I would have to break out my waders just to go tubing. What a life!
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey guys,[/size]

[size 1]I guess I was just lucky went I went out a week ago Thursday. Temp stayed about 60 all morning long at Lake Irvine. Thank goodness for the fog that rolled. There is a promise of rain next week which should cool things down. I will believe it when I feel it. Keep cool.[/size]

[size 1]This picture I took back in the 80's on my first cruise to Alaska. Got to go salmon fishing for my first time. A friend from Reno and myself signed up to go fishing out of Katchecan. The first boat going out could only handle two of us in the group of several dozen. This boat was owned by a former Cotinental mechanic. We were gone before the other bigger boats (cabin cruisers) could even get loaded. Guess what! We both caught a good size salmon while most of the other boats were skunked. I guess big is not always better. That night our table of six enjoyed nice fresh salmon cooked the Italian way. [/size]

[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1160;]
[signature]
[cool]We have tried everything over here to generate some rain. All the rain dances did was stir up dust. Massive car washes just used up more of our precious water. We all went on picnics and even the ants stayed inside because it was too hot. We would have tried seeding the clouds except nobody carries cloud seeds, and there are no clouds in which to plant them.

So...I guess we will just have to wait for Mother Nature to cry on us. She can be a real mother sometimes.

The only funny thing about the heat is that all the corn in the fields got hot and popped. It looked like snow on the ground and all the scorpions and rattlesnakes froze to death.

They are motioning me to come back into my room now. It's probably time for my meds.
[signature]
[cool][size 1]Hey TD,[/size]

[size 1]Starting to wonder about how long you have been in the sun without a hat! I think your ship is here to pick you up.[/size]
[Image: gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=1166;]
[signature]
[size 2]well ya missed one, this is a last mesure of disprear from the drout. and that is to place dead fish in your back yard all the way back to the property line. [/size]

[size 2]you will apease the wolf and crow sperits by gracing them with food of the water sperits. the wolf will sniff out the rains and send the crow to gather the wind sperits to herd the rain clouds to your area. they will envoke the sky sperits to release the moisture captured from the great waters. [/size]

[size 2][#ff0000]one word of caution[/#ff0000], if you feed them to much you will undoubtedly receive more rains than you can handle. use only medium catches and place the rest of the remains under the rows of your garden. you will apease the the ground sperits to give you helthy tomatos squash and beans.[/size]

[size 2] [/size]
[signature]
[cool]Thanks, Dave. However there are some factors to consider. First, I have to catch the fish to scatter in my backyard. There ain't any bitin' right now. Second, if I did put fish in my back yard, the neighbors would report me for environmental pollution...and the fisheries department would bust me for wasting a valuable water resource.

Also, no wolves and crows around here. Would the great spirits settle for some coyotes and roadrunners? Beep Beep.

And, the lush garden you refer to is more like cactus and sagebrush, with a few rock vines sprinkled in. Not a bountiful harvest this year.

Heck, in this part of the country we don't even have a groundhog day. We have a rattlesnake mascot. When he crawls out of his hole...whether he sees his shadow or not we know we will have another 12 months of heat. That takes the pressure off the snake, for sure.
[signature]
there is one other sure fire method

park a row boat in your yard with plans on going fishing. set in a one gallon plastic jug full of water in the bottom of the boat with a cap on it for three days, after the third day go take the water out of the boat and get it ready for the trip, never fails when i want to go fishing in a row boat you have to first bail out the water in order to go..

just emptyed my boat yesterday and it is raining again today.