Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wowser!! What a morning on the River.
Everything aligned properly this morning on the Snake River. The day of the full moon; cloudy skies; low CFS and little wind to make drifting a pleasure; water a bit mirky - maybe 3' visibility; and no one else on the river.

I launched at 6:30 and caught a few decent smallmouth near the ramp. I then ran upriver to a shallow flat and got out my fluke rod and never put it down. The flow slowly moved me downstream from one grassy flat to the next. There were fish everywhere on those flats. I could see wakes as bigger fish were feeding on bait. A cast to one of those bulges almost always brought a strike. At 9:00 I had boated 20 smallies. By 11:00 the counter showed 35. When I reached the ramp again it was 12 noon and I had bagged 41 smallmouth. Many were in the 11-14" age group, quite a few in the 15-17" range, and then there was this one...
[Image: 20120604-21inSM-1PB.jpg]
She was 21" long, jumped twice and fought a terrific battle. Note her beautiful spotted color pattern as well. It had been 2 years since I had last caught a 21" fish from the river. This one was much lighter than the last, because the 2010 fish was pre-spawn and full of eggs. I think she deserves another view:
[Image: 20120604-21inSM-2PB.jpg]
I also lost many fish, including two very heavy fish. It is very hard to hold a big, hard charging smallie from digging into the grass beds with medium weight tackle, and who wants to fish for them with heavy rods? Not me; I'd rather have them get off - after all, I'm going to put them back anyway.

All fish were caught on nose hooked Zoom Super Flukes or my own poured plastic flukes, a customized GLoomis IMX 782, Daiwa TDZ casting reel, and 20 pound yellow braid with no leader.

It was a morning I won't soon forget.
[signature]
thanks for the report! I've got to get into the bass fishing I guess!
[signature]
very nice. wish it was deeper so i wasnt scared to take my bass boat there.
[signature]
Great fish! [fishon]
Ron
[signature]
What a day you had and that 21"er is beautiful.

And now the weather is taking a dive on us again. [crazy]
[signature]
Wow! What a great fish and a great day fishing!

I just gotta get me a little jet boat for the river...............
[signature]
sweet, I need too get out again, never caught one that big on the river, my biggest was that 19" I posted awhile back, sweet, we need too get together and hit the river, I got a few spots out by where I live.... PM me we should hook up, if you don't mind...
Matt
[signature]
Wowser is right!!
[signature]
Outstanding! That smallie is awesome!
[signature]
awesome morning !
[signature]
I have a little bit of fish envy going on right now... haha!

Great job! That's a beautiful fish!
[signature]
That is a great fish if you are ever looking for company I would love to get out on the river with you. I'm free weekdays and live close. I would like to trade a day on my boat in my favorite spot? If not I understand no big deal. Congrats on that toad.
[signature]
[quote elkmagnet]That is a great fish if you are ever looking for company I would love to get out on the river with you. I'm free weekdays and live close. I would like to trade a day on my boat in my favorite spot? If not I understand no big deal. Congrats on that toad.[/quote]

elk, PM me, we should hook up, I will trade a day on my jet boat too get out on a bass boat,
Matt
[signature]
Ok Matt pm sent.
Smartweed my offer still stands to you if you ever need company.
[signature]