Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish lake
I'm taking my wife fishing this weekend, this will be our first time at Fish Lake. Can anyone give me a general area to target a few macs? PM is fine, I don't want anyone's hot spot (but I'll take it if it's offered) I just want my wife to have a good time.

Any help is appreciated, Thanks
[signature]
I would recommend you not target macs but instead go after perch, splake and bows around the weedline. Even if you got lucky and caught one mac fishing deep, you may spend hours of just sitting there and that may not be too much fun for your wife. It is not likely you will have fast action for macs. But you might with the trout and perch.
[signature]
I fished their on memorial weekend and caught all the splake we wanted we fished straight across from the lodge just the other side of the weed bed we also caught perch. Used gitzit tube jigs tipped with perch caught perch with little white grubs tipped with worm. This would be possible as long as you have a boat. Hope this helps
[signature]
That is a very good point. We have always done pretty good at the Gorge for Macs, that's probably why she wants to Mac fish. I'm sure she would have a great time catching Splake and Bows too. Thanks for the advice
[signature]
Thanks, we have a small aluminum boat with a 20HP Mercury. Are the weed beds visible? I guess I need to get reading how to catch Splake.
[signature]
Catching fish in Fish Lake = popgear and a big fat worm trolling leaded line early morning and eveing.
[signature]
[quote Muleskinner222]Thanks, we have a small aluminum boat with a 20HP Mercury. Are the weed beds visible? I guess I need to get reading how to catch Splake.[/quote]

Yes. The weeds are visible. They grow out to about 25' deep. If you want splake, anchor outside the weeds and fish just like you would fish for lake trout -- jigs tipped with cut bait.

Try moving out to about 60 - 90' deep and do the same thing. Maybe you'll get lucky and catch a large lake trout.

Alternatively, go out and troll -- get your lure to about 40' deep. Use a 8" rapala.

Good luck.
[signature]
Thanks for all the help!
[signature]
pbh Good reply to the fish lake question. Good on yea...
[signature]
Just a little side note. I might be heading there this weekend too, and the lady at the boat rental place told me they've been having white caps off and on and the visibility isn't what it usually is. I'm not sure if this will affect your ability to see the weedline, and or the fishing. Either way, having a depth finder couldn't hurt
[signature]
[quote cdbrc]pbh Good reply to the fish lake question. Good on yea...[/quote]

ummmm.....thanks?

[quote Inshanity]I'm not sure if this will affect your ability to see the weedline, and or the fishing. Either way, having a depth finder couldn't hurt[/quote]

measure out 30' of anchor rope. There's your depth finder.

In most of the areas where the weeds grow, they'll grow nearly to the surface. So, finding the weeds isn't a big deal. If the wind is blowing hard enough to cause problems finding the weeds, then you shouldn't be out in a boat fishing -- head back to the marina!
[signature]
Well, I ended up taking my wife and two daughters. Everyone had a great time, thanks for the tips. We caught tons of Rainbows, 3 Macs, 1 Splake and hundreds of Perch! The Macs were tiny, the largest was 2lbs. Thanks again for all the input.

[Image: b4ba6ec1.jpg]

[Image: 2573c066.jpg]

[Image: 954d3c98.jpg]
[signature]