Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New rod adcice
So I am finally going to get a new fly rod. Don't have a ton to spend but looking in the 200 to 300 range. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Want a 4 piece.
[signature]
Just my two cents, but I found it hard to beat the bang-for-the-buck offered by Allen Fly Fishing -- especially if you score one of their "deals-of-the-week."

I've got two of their Myth rods and my personal experience is that they compare very well to my other, more expensive, rod.
[signature]
Thanks for the info. Will check them out. Forgot to mention looking for 5/6 weight and 9 feet.
[signature]
I go to cabelas because if you buy a cableas brand rod and break it you can exchange for a new one but it gota be the same one as you have. I have a three fork 4 piece 9 ft and i think 6wt and it cost like $60. If you are worry about breaking rod just go with a cabelas brand. I broke 5 rods in 3 year exchange them for new one with no problems.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/fi..._stype=GNU

Heres a link to the cabelas brand rod that they have online. Im not sure if they have all of them in the cabelas in lehi except i know they have the three fork im very sure because i went last week or 2 weeks ago i believe to get my new one. 2nd rod broke this year because of putting in the car accidentally step on it buy ya they give u a new one for free. That the best part of there policy.
[signature]
I second the ALLEN. I have the ATS. Beautiful red. It is a nice MID flex. Mine is a 9' 6 wt. I would meet up with you if you would like to check it out.

My experience with Cabela's might just be one incident, but I had the Stowaway Cabela rod. I broke the tip and was told the rod was a budget rod and not covered by a warranty. If you go that way, might want to check that out.
[signature]
Someone stated:

"As with all fly rods, the best way to narrow down the myriad of options is to go to a fly or tackle shop and test-cast some different models."

IMHO that really great advice not everyone casts the same so certain models may or may not be a good fit for ya. But I know its pain to travel and hit every fly shop in town and some don't even let you cast them.

Fish-tech is pretty good they got a great selection and the customer service there is phenomenal Id give them a call before hand let them know your looking to buy a rod and Im sure thell point you in the right direction.
[signature]
[url "http://www.allenflyfishing.com"]www.allenflyfishing.com[/url]
[signature]
[quote sinergy]
Not everyone casts the same so certain models may or may not be a good fit for ya. But I know its pain to travel and hit every fly shop in town and some don't even let you cast them. [/quote]

Great advice and I've always been treated well by Fish Tech. I got to try the Allen for a couple of hours at the Fly Fishing Expo and was sold. When I was in the market for my "premium" rod, I tried a number of the top models, and as Sinergy suggests, not all of them were a good fit for my style of casting. Try before you buy for sure.
[signature]
A sage launch 4 peice 5 wieght is what i use and its great.
[signature]
[quote sinergy]Someone stated:

"As with all fly rods, the best way to narrow down the myriad of options is to go to a fly or tackle shop and test-cast some different models."

IMHO that really great advice not everyone casts the same so certain models may or may not be a good fit for ya. But I know its pain to travel and hit every fly shop in town and some don't even let you cast them.

Fish-tech is pretty good they got a great selection and the customer service there is phenomenal Id give them a call before hand let them know your looking to buy a rod and Im sure thell point you in the right direction.[/quote]

Or just come to my house...LOL
[signature]
I may take you up on that offer [Wink]

I like Allen fly fishing luv there hooks and reels but Ive never fished one of there rods. Thats only reason why I don't recommend them. I wont recommend anything that I haven't personally have tried or used.

But I hear great thing about Allen rods, great online reviews awesome prices especially for that new nano-tech there infusing into rods.

I dont know what nano-tech really is but works great in my Cabelas rod now if I could only get the nanos to make me a sandwich that would ROCK !!! [cool][cool][cool][cool]
[signature]
Allen Flyfishing strictly online or do they have a shop here somewheres?
[signature]
On line, but I am working on having product to show.
[signature]
[quote Flyfishinglover]I go to cabelas because if you buy a cableas brand rod and break it you can exchange for a new one but it gota be the same one as you have. I have a three fork 4 piece 9 ft and i think 6wt and it cost like $60. If you are worry about breaking rod just go with a cabelas brand. I broke 5 rods in 3 year exchange them for new one with no problems.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/browse/fi..._stype=GNU

Heres a link to the cabelas brand rod that they have online. Im not sure if they have all of them in the cabelas in lehi except i know they have the three fork im very sure because i went last week or 2 weeks ago i believe to get my new one. 2nd rod broke this year because of putting in the car accidentally step on it buy ya they give u a new one for free. That the best part of there policy.[/quote]
5 broken rods in 3 years?
Says a lot for their rods.
[signature]
Well heres the story what happened. 1st one broke at bear lake because of huge rocks and high wind. Fell down move rock broke rod 2nd back then the rod had a small defect where the spoil is came off. 3-5th want so careful taking out of car or someone stepped on it >Sad. But I bought a case so it shall not break.
[signature]
[quote mojorizing
5 broken rods in 3 years?
Says a lot for their rods.[/quote]

LMAO

Flyfishinglover, ever thought of a metal rod? WOW!
[signature]
JP1,
I agree that sage launch 4 piece rods are a good rod for that price. However I don't think they make them any longer. I got mine like 7 or 8 years ago and still use frequently without a single problem despite much abuse. How long ago did you buy yours?
I'm with the people suggesting an Allen rod. That's what I'd probable being getting if I was in the market for a rod in the sizes and wts they make.
[signature]
This is probably too late but I'm interested in what rod you chose. I was in a very similar situation a few months ago. I went to three or four local shops and tested a bunch of different rods in all price ranges. I ended up really liking the echo carbon 9ft 5wt. I did some research on the rod, reviews, warranty, and the designer Tim Rajeff and decided it was a very good rod at a great price ($179 I think). I paired it with a Lamson Guru reel and the folks at fishwest gave me some great line at around half price I think. It's been a little over a month maybe two and I couldn't be happier with the purchase.

I agree with the person who said everyone casts differently and I was surprised that the rods that I liked best weren't always the most expensive.

Hope this helps
[signature]
Great rod and reel choice.
More expensive rods can offer you the action that suits your style however. They will offer more detailed taper, hardware and weight or lack of.
I have fished Echo and they are tops for sure, but to also pick up a Helios, or a One, or a BIIx and to feel how light they are is a total advantage.
You can get by and do just fine without, but it is a luxury.
[signature]
I agree. There is a difference. I was just surprised at how much I liked the echo even though I was willing to spend a bit more if I needed to in order get the rod I felt most confident with.

Not that this is a huge deal but I also really like the way the echo carbon looks. It has a matte dark brown almost black finish and a brushed aluminum looking reel seat.
[signature]