Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2012 UWC / DWR Fishing Survey
Dear Angler,

I hope you are having a wonderful spring so far!

We have put together our 2012 fishing survey regarding fishing regulations in Utah and we need your input.

Please click on this link to the 2012 UWC fishing survey:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TY3LV3W

In addition to the UWC survey the Division of Wildlife Resources has also put together a fishing survey and would like to get your input. If you would like to take the DWR survey, and we encourage you to do so, please click on this link:

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/HNGVVMQ

As always feel free to contact us anytime at info@unitedwildlifecooperative.org

Thanks for being a member and getting involved in preserving our heritage!

Please mark the Minersville regs to stay the same. IMO
[signature]
The UWC survey is targeted for its members. However, we'd love to have you join if you are not currently a UWC member.

Of course, the DWR survey is for everyone.
[signature]
The DWR wants to stop the bucket bozos they need to plant the perch and other warm water fish back in the lakes so we have a place to fish for them...
[signature]
I don't think that it was one of the options, but hey, go ahead and tell the DWR about it.

Heck, if you want, you can tell the UWC about it too on our survey, after you join.
[signature]
yeah like gunnison res huh? lol it's only been 15 years now that it was given to the carp.. maybe some perch and bluegill would be nice for us old sandpeters! [:p]
[signature]
The (bucket nice guyes) seem to be better at planting fish then the DWR is..
[signature]
Well if we had good warm water fishing in this state why would anyone have to plant anything any place??

They say the Perch and other warm water fish has an up and down cycles?? [crazy] what would the trout have if they DIDN'T plant trout???[crazy][crazy][crazy][crazy]
[signature]
i understand where you are comming from and all but this is the west. warm water fisheries in the mountains are kind of an oxy moron. not saying it cant be done, but difficult to maintain.
[signature]
no they are not that difficult to maintain! there just has to be a effert put into in the first place to get it started then most the time they will maintain them self's.. the only thing is when a drout hit's they need to kick start them again.. it realy dont take much to get them going again... 100 perch and 100 bluegill in 2 or 3 years will do the trick.. lol look at the buckit bio boy's they seem to have it down good.. 10 or 15 live perch and wait 2 or 3 years there ya have it.. not that hard..

and if you look on line you can find lots of places that have them for sale cheep. it they cant find them around here that is.. i think if they wanted to they could find some here that would not mind being planted in a diffrent lake..
[signature]
Think about what you are talking about???

1. The reseviors we have are man made, they had no fish in then other then the ones we put in..

2. Look at the limits on the fish in the fishing guide book, the fish they plant the most has the lowest limits..

3. the fish they say is not the best for our waters have the highest numbers of limits..[crazy]

4. If or how dose a fish get to be a natave of the waters it is in...How long dose it take??

5. The DWR says the perch bass and most if not all the warm water called type of fish has there up years and low years so it makes them not a good fish for our reseviors...

Now how good would the trout fishing be if they planted them like they have the other types of fish???

Would we have any fishing ????????????

The DWR wants to stop the BUCKETS maybe they should start planting some warm water fish back in the lakes...
Makes sence to me..
[signature]
I think it is because the Rocky Mountains is known for "TROUT" Been that way for many years.
You are right, man made waters, you would think they could plant anything in there.
Bass is becoming very popular drawing a lot of Trout hunters. Even the Snake River is planting Bass all over because of the attraction.

I don't know that I would try introducing new species to other waters, but as mentioned, pay more attention to the waters that already have them.
[signature]
You missed the point..
[signature]
What is the point?
It started out a survey and has switched to if the DWR won't do it, the Bucket Biologist will.

Rocky Mountains has been known for Trout, and in recent years, that isn't good enough for everyone.

Anything else?
[signature]
Its easy for most people to not under stand, look at it this way for a moment...

Lets say they stopped planting trout in all waters, and up the limits on them as well..

But keep planting bass perch and walleye but you was feed a bunch of bull about Utah was better for warm water fish or better know for them so on and you know...

No one that I know of that is a warm water fisherman says not to plant trout or say the lakes are better for warm water fish so don't plant them...

Read what you wrote, look at it, now whats the point???
[signature]
A substantial portion of me says, "what's the point of getting into this frey?" But what the heck, I haven't stirred to pot for awhile so here goes.

[quote bassrods]Think about what you are talking about???

1. The reseviors we have are man made, they had no fish in then other then the ones we put in..
[#0000bf]The drainages had lots of fish including native cutthroat trout, chub, and suckers prior to the reservoirs. The reservoirs were built for water storage not for fishing. Fishing was a byproduct and due to the amount of pressure (demand) on many reservoirs no trout fishery could withstand the demand without supplimental stocking or more restrictive regulations.
[/#0000bf]

2. Look at the limits on the fish in the fishing guide book, the fish they plant the most has the lowest limits..
[#0000bf]Tiger musky are planted more than rainbow trout? I had no idea[crazy]. But for the sake of the arguement you're trying to make, look at the demand from the hook 'em and cook 'em crowd for rainbow trout compared to the demand for smallmouth bass. Angler hours for trout far out paces angler hours for all non trout and it's not economically feasible to allow more liberal trout limits. Additionally trout are not as reproductively tough as bass, bluegill, perch etc. which doesn't necessarily mean they aren't the best fish for a specific water, they just have to have a boost periodically.[/#0000bf]

3. the fish they say is not the best for our waters have the highest numbers of limits..[crazy]
[#0000bf]Again look at the demand. These fish do not have the pressure and they are biologically capable of reproducing ahead of the pressure given current pressure and if placed in a good environment. Nature, through natural selection, usually get it right and nature (God if you want) selected the Rocky Mtn area to have trout, chubs and suckers. Bass, bluegill, perch, walleye, etc. were selected for east of the Rockies. That being said, I'm very happy to have all these eastern transplants, including rainbow, browns, tiger, brook, and lake trout, here to fish for, I like the balance (both biological and social) the DWR is trying to manage.
[/#0000bf]

4. If or how dose a fish get to be a natave of the waters it is in...How long dose it take??
[#0000bf]This argument doen't even apply. Most of the fish native to Utah's drainages (and associated reservoirs) are not sought after. Utah chub, June sucker, pike minnow, humpback chub, razorback suckers, Utah suckers are what you will get if you start arguing nativity. We only have one game fish native to Utah. It aint native unless it was here prior to Columbus.
[/#0000bf]

5. The DWR says the perch bass and most if not all the warm water called type of fish has there up years and low years so it makes them not a good fish for our reseviors...
[#0000bf]All natural fish populations have cycles. Since Utah doesn't have a huge stocking program for warm water fish, they manage them for natural reproduction. And since we don't have the same ecosystem (water quality, forage, diseases, etc.) as their native waters these populations are likely to fluctuate more widely.[/#0000bf]

Now how good would the trout fishing be if they planted them like they have the other types of fish???
[#0000bf]It would be worthless, but it doesn't matter because the DWR is managing for fishing diversity and for social values and the majority of Utah anglers still favor trout over warm water fish, get over it.
[/#0000bf]

Would we have any fishing ????????????
[#0000bf]Well given that we can't very well reverse what has taken place we will likely always have carp to fish for, I enjoy fishing for them too. The real question is will we have the "right kind of fishing?" That depends totally on the specific angler. You nor the DWR can satisfy everyones desires for fishing diversity in this or any other state. Utah has a great diversity of fishing, go find what you ("you" generally, not "you" Cliff specifically) like and stop selfishly trying to customize everything to your personal satisfaction.
[/#0000bf]

The DWR wants to stop the BUCKETS maybe they should start planting some warm water fish back in the lakes...
Makes sence to me..[/quote]
[#0000bf]Makes zero sense to me. If the cops want to stop drug abuse, hand out more drugs? If they want to stop rape hand out more prostitute vouchers? Why not just make it legal? You don't stop bad behavior by aiding its agenda. Bucket biologist are selfish morons disinterested in the common good or in scientific "wisdom" and will continue to do what they do regardless of weather the DWR plants warm water fish or not. For a free society to remain free the citizens have to regulate themselves. Laws don't prevent anything from happening other than from law abiding people. It's illegal for unauthorized citizens to transplant live fish into any public body of water in Utah. People who do are breaking the law. They are scum as bad as poachers in my opinion.[/#0000bf]
[signature]
i did think about, what i was... talking about

this is the west. the west is known for cold water fisheries. you want to catch warm water fish? move south or east.

UT is doing a pretty good job at accomidating everyone with the variety of fishing thats available.

no i did not miss the point either, you reside in the rocky mountains, not the cyprus stumps of the eastern US
[signature]
WOW you must work for the DWR..

More bull trout are trout cuts bows browns all the same you talk about one on one..

But at least they are planting one kind of warm water fish[:p], but like you need to read they are catch and release[crazy]..Perch 50 bass 6 crappy 20[pirate] and TROUT 4[crazy]...Yes BULL and very bad management..
[signature]
Cal is as far west as you can get and the #1 fish is bass but they still plant lots of other types of fish when needed...

Look at the Perch fishing, and look at how the best lake along the Wasatch has gone in one year...

DWR doing a good job, maybe you like to catch 10 to 11" fish (bass) but thats not fishing to me..And Ice fishing was fun when we had Perch in more then one good lake to try for move south??? [#000080]Deleted[/#000080], sorry one sided...
[signature]
your right im dumb. i guess the masters in wildlife managment im pursuing is meaningless, perhaps you can educate me ever better then USC pueblo can?

cali does have a great bass fishing, SOUTHERN california. the best bass fishing i can think of off the top of my head is maybe shasta and a few of the ponds near Sac like camp far west and oroville (spelled that wrong) because they are all located in the valley. head about an hour east and your in the mountains.

please, take a second and re-read what i said. i said the DWR is doing a great job at trying to please as many people as they can by offering a chance at fish diversity along the wasatch front.

like i stated before, if you want phenominal bass fishing, head south or east. the rocky mountains have always been known for trout fishing.
[signature]
I'm with bassrods! Im born and raised in UT and I'm so sick of catching and eating trout. Let's plant more walleye perch crappie more fish that are good eating. I fish to eat them and I rather eat or catch one walleye to ten rainbows browns cuttrouts etc. But just my opinion!
[signature]