Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Walleyes and Wipers
Wow Curt, you guys have really got those eyes dialed in! Glat to hear the wipers are starting to be caught, I'll have to come down and see if I can find a dumb one.
[signature]
This was my best day this year for wipers, they have been tough to catch but this was my best day ever for wallies[Smile]. The wiper catching should continue to get better, at least I hope so.[:/]
[signature]
I like running the down riggers with out all the mess of a snap wieght setup. I know exactly the depth I'm running a worm harness, if you think the boat is scaring the fish drop your line back to150 ft. or so. The type blades I use can be heard from a distance and the eyes and wipers both seem to like the combo I use. Curt, some of the readers on here may call you a BS on the number of eyes you guys caught in that time frame. I know I had several PM's last summer saying it was a bunch of BS that my grandaughters boated 44 eyes and one cat in 4 hrs trolling cranks up to 3.7MPH running both planer boards and down riggers. I just chuckle and put some more fillets on the table. Congrats to you and Mike. Good luck on the tourney Mike and say hi to your dad for me. [fishin]
[signature]
Thanks PACKFAN. I knew you werent kidding about your catch last year. A few years ago we had a 100+ walleye day on starvation, and were called a bunch of liars. Like you said, laugh it off. Funny I dont get called a liar when I say I caught 0 fish.... Sometimes the stars align and the conditions are just right. I atribute Fridays catch to being right after a large cold front and on the verge of another, just a prime oppurtunity for the fish to fill their guts before the weather beat em down again. Its fun and rare to be on the lake when the conditions are just right. [fishin]
[signature]
I have a strict policy of not posting ANY pictures of Walleye for the same reasons listed above. But that most certainly does not hurt my feelings. On the contrary most Walleye fisherman deserve the kudos for good days and probably do not mind giving any information (within reason) about how to catch'm. Most Walleye fisherman also don't care weather or not anyone believes them.[Wink]
[signature]
Actually this past Thursday was the best night for my son and I on Starvation we didn't fish for the dinks and caught some fairly decent eyes up to 3 1/2 to 4 lbs. Friday night sucked for a walleye bite, and Sat. and Sunday we were pretty well blown off for our night fishing, at least the area I like to fish after dark. I haven't had a 100 fish day there but have had some 50 and 60 plus days in the past. I won't be headed back to Starvation until mid July and one more trip the 1st part of Aug. prior to our bow hunt. Wet1 is suppose to be setting up a DAV fishing day that same weekend at Strawberry so my walleye time may be cut a little short for one day but it's for a great cause and always alot of fun to get some Vets into some fish. I even allow some slime rockets in my live wells on those days. [fishin]
[signature]
If you put as many hours on the water as Mike does then you will learn how to catch walleye. Walleye fisherman are fisherman just looking for a good fish challenge? Great job Mike Damn fishing bum[Wink]
[signature]
[mad]What the ____ Are you talking about, did I miss something?
[signature]
[blush] I am a tad embarrassed... I meant nothing like that in my post. I was referring to some of the disbelief shared by many people that Walleye can be caught on a regular basis and in numbers. And to the label of liar given to the claim that a lot of readers subscribe to that Walleye are impossible to catch or "accidental" most of the time. But there are no Walleye in Willard so the point is mute.[Wink] I only fish Willard twice a week unlike some of our other retired subscribers....
[signature]
Yeah, that 100+ fish day was definately not 3-4 pound fish. I would rather have half a dozen good ones like that than a bunch of 12-16". I keep threatening to hit starvy at night.... in time. I was going to see if the DAV was in my cards this year, I would love to do it. I guess if I let WH2 put a slimer in my livewell I could do it for a good cause too[Wink]. I too was debating a mid july starvy trip, depends on if I can make any money in the Wyoming tourneys the next two weekends. [fishin]
[signature]
jmaze perchound I am the last person to point fingers. sorry if my reply came across like that. I just ment that every time i go to willard it seems like i run into mike and for that i was giving him credit for being so dedicated to the sport of walleye fishing[Wink]
[signature]
walleye at willard the past couple years have been too easy , they have become glorified pan fish.When food is abundant they can get hard only feed a short time everyday.dragging a bottom bouncer dont take too much skill,but i fished with mike once he and his dad have spent there time out there and are hard to beat.I have heard it on here that more walleye are caught by accident than on purpose, i aint buying it.
[signature]