Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
June Meeting Ideas ??????
[cool][#0000ff]Wow. Almost half way through June already. Our next meeting will be on Wednesday 6/27/12 at the Eagles Lodge in Murray again.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We did not discuss any special agenda at last month's meeting. Anybody got any good ideas for this one?[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]One thought I had was to have each member spend a few minutes telling about their favorite waters, species and tackle. Feel free to bring show and tell...rods, reels, lures, etc. Since there is such a diversity of fishing interests represented in the group it might be interesting to hear some of the other perspectives.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We can also devote some time to Reports and Plans....where have we gone, what have we caught, best lures and flies and what are our plans for the next month or so...and why.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Meetings with these topics can only help us to not only learn new tactics and techniques but can serve as good base info for the relative newcomers in our group.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Feel free to post up your ideas...or bring them with you to the meeting and air them out then. [/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'll through out a suggestion/request. I'd love to hear a good conversation about waders. From the selection perspective of materials, brands, etc... Then as well from the how to maintain them, resolve issues with them, and anything else that will help lead to maximizing the life in a pair.

Maybe the loaded question would be, "if you could only own one pair of waders for all tube/toon uses for the whole year what would you pick and why?"
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Good topic. You are hereby authorized (delegated) to bring up the subject for discussion.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In a nutshell, you can get by with only one pair of waders...light or neoprene. The key is how you layer for different temperature situations.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If I were limited to one I would go lightweight. You can add an extra layer for warmth but when wearing neoprenes there is a lower limit of how much you can NOT wear and not sweat to death. But I usually go without waders when water temps are above 65 anyway.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I would be interested in other ideas for mounting fish finders on tubes and 'toons.

I'll bring my Scotty strap, which is a quick and cheap fix, and (what I think) is a cool carrying case for storing and protecting fishing finder and all associated items.

I'd be interested in seeing FG's aluminum swing arm for the transducer, and any other clever uses of a fish finder with a tube or 'toon.

Maybe some pointers on how to maximum the benefit of a fish finder. I think you've mentioned being able to identify perch vs. trout at Deer Creek. That would be a good trick to know.
[signature]
I'll throw out some other ideas for consideration (this is just me "brain storming" so that are not all fully-formed concepts):

1. A monthly fishing report as to the commonly-known lakes and reservoirs (e.g., Strawberry, Deer Creek, etc.). No one has to reveal their "honey pot." Include with this discussions and demonstrations on the best stillwater techniques for that time of year. I would love to improve my techniques for stripping streamers and fishing with chironomids. Finally, a report of any new/and or cool facilities (e.g., the best 'tooner campground at Green River or Strawberry; a great place or marina for launching toons; a great place to get a burger and shake on the way home, etc.).

2. An informative discussion as to the pros and cons of kayaks, tubes, pontoon boats, etc. and/or why one might be better than another in a particular situation.

3. How to transport a tube or 'toon and when to use what option, such as how to secure it to a car rack; pros and cons of trailers and recommendations; blowing it up in advance or at the lake, such as don't blow up your tube completely at SLC elevation (4,500) and then drive up to Trail Lake (9,800)) -- something's gotta give.

4. How to glue accessories to a 'toon such, as the Scotty mount system, and where and under what circumstances to glue vs. strap.

5. How to maintain a 'toon (cleaning, treating with Amor All, etc.) and how to repair a 'toon -- especially a puncture.

6. Pros and cons of various means of propulsion - motor, fins, oars - and recommendation of when to use which type and what brands and models to buy.

7. Fishing techniques that take the greatest advantage of the characteristics of a tube or 'toon.

8. How to store items so that they don't get wet and/or fall in the water.

You all get the idea. Basically things you cover in your book but with the chance to hear a variety of views and experiences, to ask questions, and to handle and see the merchandise.

For example, I just got Scadden's New World Navigator and could bring it for a look-see. Personally, I never make a large purchase until I've seen it and handled it in person, so I would enjoy seeing other folks gear.

Just my two-cents.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]All great ideas...and the kind of stuff we should be discussing on a regular basis. But whenever I throw open the meeting for questions or input everybody just looks at their watch and gets the 1000 yard stare. No creativity.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I am happy to contribute whatever I can...as long as it is meaningful to the members. I have no aspirations of standing up there and holding forth just to fill up a couple of hours of alloted time.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]My suggestion is for everybody to put some thought into each meeting and to write down topics they would like to have covered...for their own personal interests. Chances are there will be others who share them but are either reluctant to voice them or who just don't think about them until after the meeting.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Glad to see that someone is recognizing the resources we have available in the combined experience of the members of the club. If we can all open up to asking and sharing we will run out of time each meeting before we run out of topics.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Something else I might throw out is to have some skill demos. Several of us are fly tiers. We could have a fly tying night with participants showing how they tie some of their favorite patterns. Or, for those who prefer fishing jigs or other lures, we could have a session on pouring and painting jigs.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]In short, if it is fishing related chances are that we have members who have above average skills and can help shorten the learning curves for others.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
For our next Mtg. I have some information obtain from the Utah Anglers Coalation that maybe of interest. Information on license costs, proposed habitat at Willard, perch cribs for Mantua and Rockport as well as some disturbing news about Flaming Gorge. Be happy to relay this information the next meeting if there is interest.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Sorry I missed that last UAC meeting. I think most of us would appreciate hearing the inside scoop on some of the things going on.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Plan on taking a few minutes right up front.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I would love to see what has been working on what waters. Maybe we can make it a regular thing to bring in the "Top Lure of the Month" for each person.

I missed the last meeting and haven't been fishing at all this month. So this may help those of us who have missed a little bit to get back into the game.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]See everybody there.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I'll be there with the Scadden New World Navigator for a little show-and-tell.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Great. Looking forward to seeing it.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I will be bringing a model of my "modular" sonar install kit.[/#0000ff]
[signature]