Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Fork Canyon's Silver Lake
Let me start off by sayin that this is my 700th post[Image: icon_party.gif]

Today TyeDye, Biscardi, Acquaman and I went up American Fork Canyon to check out Silver Lake. Before doing so we stopped by Sportsmans Wearhouse for some fly fishing gear....and checked out the outdoor bass tank.
[Image: 794641.JPG]

After paying the $6 fee we made our way up the canyon. The ride up the dirt road above Tibble Fork Reservoir was like being in a washing machine. I should have worn a helmet in that car! At the trailhead we ran into BFT's BowBooty, who had just come down from Silver Lake. He apparently did not get anything. Not to be discouraged we suited up for the 2.2 mile hike to the lake. While doing so a car made an outdoor concert out of the parking lot....hoping I don't sound too old here....rap just is not my cup of tea. So we set off on the dirt trail for the lake.
[Image: 794642.JPG]
[Image: 794644.JPG]

While on a river crossing that Bicsardi had successfully made it across without getting wet, TDT tried to cross the logs too. Like an elephant on a tight rope he fell off, and soaked his back, pants and shoes in the cold water...guess it would have been much more comfortable to just walk the ankle deep water insead. On the way up the views of Mount Timpanogos and Silver Flat Reservoir were beyond beautiful, and the best part of the trail up to the lake.
[Image: 794643.JPG]

When we got to Silver Lake there were a couple suprises. Silver Lake was WAY bigger, deeper and steeper than we thought...it is like a gaint creator in the middle of nowhere. Guess we packed those heavy waders for nothing.
[Image: 794646.JPG]
[Image: 794645.JPG]

Not to be discouraged we set off our seperate ways for the 4 corners of the lake. Aquaman was the 1st to finally hook into a fish....a 12in brookie by fishing a worm off the bottom...isn't that how you fish for catfish?
[Image: 794647.JPG]

After a few hours of nothing for the other 3 members of the group, Aquaman and I stopped by one of the many inlets. There just happend to be signs of life at this spot so I busted out the fly rod. Soon Biscardi and TDT joined me and we started to get into some fish. Although they were very small...they made the day better...since we thought we were gonna get the ugly skunk. TDT and I were using the fly rods...Biscardi was using the fly and bubble technique (how un-pure). When the sun set behind the moutain the dry fly action turned on...and all 3 of us managed some fish on dry flies.
[Image: 794648.JPG]
[Image: 794649.JPG]

Soon it got cold and with the action gone we decided to start heading down.
[Image: 794650.JPG]

At the parking lot we noticed that Silver Flat Reservoir was boiling with trout action so we took our shots at it. Biscardi was the only one who landed a fish there...and the sunset made up for the lack of tugs the rest of us wanted so badly.
[Image: 794651.JPG]

So in total I got 4 fish, TDT got 4 fish, Biscardi got 3 fish and Aquaman only got the 1.

The flies used today that worked included, but were not limited to.... Nymphacator Tung, Black Misqueto, Renegades, Royal Wolf and a XD Caddis.
[signature]
I'm glad to hear you boys had better luck than I did! Very nice report.
It was nice meeting you guys
[signature]
If you see or talk to Chris (aquaman), tell him Wally says hi! He was my deckhand back in the 80's when I ran sportboats in So Cal.
[signature]
If I end up fishing next to you then you'll know it's me because I'll be bumping Nikki Minaj and Lil Wayne just to screw with you like a Gitmo detainee.

AF roads can be horrible. Better give those kidneys a rest.
[signature]
Good job!! Seems you have been fly fishing more I just recently started its a blast! And if your going to blast your music at least play something good[Wink]
[signature]
Yep I have been using the fly rod more and more. I think finally have 6 days fished with it now. The last 2 times I did not even really bust out the spinning rod. Currently saving up the pennies for a new fly rod so I can get a better casting distance. It has become an addiction now....spinners, crankbaits, ect....have their place...but have become...do I dare say....boring.

When I start preaching that everyone needs to use single barbless hooks, handle fish like they would a flower, and argue why powerbait fisherman piss me off.....please put a bullet in my head[Wink] for the transition will be complete!
[signature]
[quote waldocod]If you see or talk to Chris (aquaman), tell him Wally says hi! He was my deckhand back in the 80's when I ran sportboats in So Cal.[/quote]

Ha he talks about those days every time we go fishing with him! Guess he isn't lying! I will be sure to pass along the message. That man will always have a spot in our car for sure. I think is interent access is down right now...you should have seen the 6lbs Rainbow Trout he pulled out of the Jordan. He wanted me to post up the picture but I do not know how to get a picture from his phone to my computer, then on here. Bummer....for that river...that fish is a BEAST!
[signature]
It was good to meet aquaman and bobooty also good to fish with the twins again even though once again the adventure may not have been what we had in mind! Suppose that's why it's called fishing not catching.
[signature]
He worked with me for a number of years. I have great pictures of him from the day. Heck of a fisherman. Every chance he got, he was reading a book!
[signature]
[quote Bscuderi]It was good to meet aquaman and bobooty also good to fish with the twins again even though once again the adventure may not have been what we had in mind! Suppose that's why it's called fishing not catching.[/quote]

Hey we still caught some fish for the effort! Maybe you should get a fly rod...then you could have caught more fish. Hmmm....I think someone is a little too spoiled by their recent 100 fish day!
[signature]
He can read! J/K. All that guy is missing is a cowboy hat to go with that stash of his. I have seen some of these pictures you speak of....great fish to say the least.
[signature]
Good job on the dinky fishes Smile Im sure you had more fun friday with me catching graylings lol. Shall plan another trip soon because i finally got a car just gota get it registered and all the other magical stuff. I shall take you camping at my fav spot at af or kamas ^_^
[signature]