Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is it trout or warm water fishing???
I see it was locked up so no one else could answer on the DWR post..

I seen a list of water that was posted that was said to have perch bass and other so called warm water fish in them..
Some or all may at one time or other had the fish in them but VERY few of them have any good size for catching any more..

The DWR and others like to cloud the water with the wrong faxes on the waters of Utah.. Read all the posts, the only people that is not trying to get better fishing for all of us is the trout only or DWR people..

We have had many lakes planted with warm water fish NO one has said its not so.. What we are saying is most of the waters need to be replanted again..

Yuba, Deer creek, Jordanelle, Pineview, Rock port, and others may have Perch but they are very hard to find any perch, and to catch a limit of 50 perch is plain DUMB..And size..[:p]

The limit was changed at some lakes on bass Jordanelle was a great lake to catch a WORLD CLASS SM bass at and many was caught each year.. The lake is now a lake to catch DINKs at the big bass is all but gone, last year did that..
The people who fish for warm water fish would like to have water that really does have warm water fish in them that we can catch that is worth catching or fishing...

We are not asking for warm water fish to be planted in MORE waters then they are now!!! We just want the waters they are said to be in to be planted...

Spawning alone will not keep the lakes like Jordanelle fishing at its best, for bass or perch...

How do you think we can get the lakes replanted with warm water fish???

Maybe if we had good fishing for warm water fish there would be no use for the buckets but to set on the ice with...[crazy][crazy][crazy][Wink][shocked][shocked][shocked] [Wink]
[signature]
Bassrod, Sorry, but BFT doesn't allow links to competing forums.[/#000050]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Hey Cliff take two pills...a reality pill and a chill pill. Get off the DWR hammering rants. [/#0000ff]

[inline "NO BS.jpg"]
not sure what your point is or was.. my point on gunnsion res is that at one time it was a great perch,bass,bluegill,and catfish pond.. then it was drained. now it's a carp infested stink hole.. my point is when that happens to a lake the DWR should put a effert into restoring the fish back in the lake.. not just let the carp have it all to them selfs!!
[signature]
What are you talking about?? What link??
[signature]
Bassrods,
If you would spend as much energy working with the DWR as you bashing them, you might get somewhere.
Whether you believe it or not, the DWR Biologists do know what they are doing.
The biggest problen that I see with Bass fishing in Utah isn't the DWR, it's 2 completely different things.
#1, Too many people taking too many Bass. Some legally and others illegally.
#2, Our water is in reservoirs that are drawn down every year for irrigation. This condition isn't good for reproduction of fish.

I can't complain about being able to catch Bass in Utah. In fact when I started to target Bass about 3 years ago, I was surprised at how many Bass I have been able to catch with very little knowledge.
Most of them are small but there are a lot of them. I can't say whether or not Bass are stunted but I sure see and catch a lot of them. Why are there not a lot of big Bass?
Let's let a Biologist from the DWR give us the answer.

Would it help the Bass population to do more stocking of Bass?
I don't know. Again let's have a Biologist answer the question.

Another question for you bassrods.
Did you attend any of the DWR Open Houses this year?
Did you complete their survey?

This is how you get things changed, not by complaining on a web site.
[signature]
TD Fisherman do have a lot to do with the warm water fishing, look back at the good years of perch..

Yuba was good for one to two years and the more fisherman the more it went down hill the third year we had a bad water year..But the dwr did not try to help just raze the limit..

Each lake when the perch fishing get good it get 100ers of fisherman ice fishing in one or two year the perch are gone..

Jordanelle was a great bass lake, but in one year it is all but wiped out of the bigger bass...

dwr doing what they can???? BULL..

The feds hatchery gives each state so many fish as part of the federal sports taxes we pay..

They raze perch bass walleye blue gill and many other types of fish, even trout.. But the dwr only takes the trout...

As long as the dwr is only planting trout and not putting a fair limit on the warm water fish I will keep on them..
[signature]
My point is.. The dwr is not re-planting lakes like Gunnson Yuba or any other lake that the warm water fish get fished down in low numbers or from the draw downs our res. go through..
But they do plant trout..
[signature]
I have called the dwr help line many times and all they tell me is they hold them in the fall and no dates are set yet..

The last time I called was monday...

They don't seem to post it in very many places or get the word out so people can plan on being there...

One or two days heads up is not any good for most people..
[signature]

[quote bassrods]What are you talking about?? What link??[/quote]

It got deleted by the Mod, I sent it in PM....
[signature]
I see this going two different ways. Move to the state you believe is doing the best for it's warm water fisheries and stay there or become a trout fisherman here in Utah. (that's a joke)
Obviously you will never be happy with the way the DNR, DWR, the "state" or whoever runs our fishery programs. We have read your complaints quite a few times about the same thing, dead horse and all that. Fishermen keeping all the big bass, yada yada yada.
I enjoy bass fishing in Utah, different reservoirs have their ups and downs and when things are up those are the waters I target. Sure, I still fish all the other places and the quality may change year to year or even decline year after year but I'm still fishing for bass and catching them and that is my passion. My 'escape' if you know what I mean.
Perhaps you should take a step back and look outside the box. Utah has more fishing opportunities than many of my friends across the country have.
Through BFT and Facebook (Hats of to Trevor Tippets-UBT) many of us were aware of the DWR meetings and surveys and we did the best we could to put in our opinions on what was on the table.
I'm not sure what your point is exactly but before you start pointing fingers at what's wrong with Utah's warm water programs perhaps you could indulge us with what you would do to avoid or correct the current issues that you (we) have. Obviously our college educated, field experienced, publicly criticized, and I'm sure under paid DNR staff is not holding up to your expectations. So tell me Cliff, in one paragraph, what would you do. Let's hear your solution, not the problem.
After years of fishing I have learned that many actions have unwanted reactions when it comes to bucket biology and planting of fish,legally or not, and watching how things play out over the years so please don't play the "we should plant shad in our reservoirs" because that is not a reality in the state Utah.
Regardless of our differences of opinions on some things I respect you as a fellow fisherman, and a bass fisherman at that [Wink] but sometimes I just don't understand your way of thinking. I'm not saying your wrong and I'm right, it's not about that. Don't get the wrong idea. You are a very experienced bass fisherman and you have helped many of us on BFT and you have fished in Utah long enough to recognize the patterns of bass (warm water) fishing in Utah and I'm man enough to admit that I could learn a lot from you if we ever went fishing together, that's why I love bass fishing-conditions are always changing and you have to learn how to adapt to those changes.
Jordanelle has been on the decline for big bass for the last couple years in my experience and I know you like to fish up there. I still catch some bruisers up there just not as frequently.
My opinion is that the state has been forced to look at the state as a whole instead if individual waters because of funding. I'm sure Utah would love to raise bass, perch, and whatever else but that is money-cold hard cash-and they are doing the best they can with what they have to work with.
I love fishing in Utah and if it's not good enough for you than I'm sorry that you don't realize how good we really have it.
[signature]
Have you stopped to consider that Utah is best suited to trout? That is why trout are planted here, because Utah is mostly comprised of cold mesotrophic lakes, and the majority of fisherman fish for trout. Bass are adaptable, but Utah is not an ideal environment for them to thrive. Ever wonder why Utah does not produce bass as big as other states? Maybe you should consider moving to a state that has more actual warm water environments.
[signature]
Just like the perch in yuba the walley in yuba, they all go threw cycles in a couple years when the bass are bigger maybe you will stop complaining! I may be young but i still can realize that the fish have cycles and it seems to be about every 5 to 10 years for the perch to fight back and get bigger in numbers, utahs waters are filled with alot of predators not alot of prey and you have to expect there to be down cycles and up cycles... patients is key with utah waters!
[signature]
[#000050]Cliff,[/#000050]
[#000050] Do you honestly believe that the decline in the perch poulation at Deer Creek was from ovefishing? The perch poulation in Deer Creek maintained itself for many years even with thousands caught each year. Many if you recall were tossed on the bank to rot. There were trout and perch, there were no walleye, very few bass, now there are even a few white bass. Ice fishing at deer creek also was good for perch for many, many years. It was NOT over fishing that caused the decline in perch at Deer Creek. Now look at Yuba and Gunnison, both lakes are for irrigation and subject to tremendous draw down. The DWR has no control over how much water is drained. This takes a toll on fish that are dependant on the cover to have good survival of the fry. Even if the DWR could plant the thousands of fish in those lakes that you would like to see the populations would be decimated by the next low water year. So again, Do you believe that over fishing caused the current decline in these fisheries???[/#000050]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]"YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL AN OPINIONATED PERSON...BUT YOU CAN'T TELL THEM MUCH."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?do=post_attachment;postatt_id=86494"][inline "NO BS.jpg"][/url][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]BETTER TO REMAIN SILENT AND BE THOUGHT A FOOL...THAN TO SPEAK (WRITE) AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]"YOU CAN ALWAYS TELL AN OPINIONATED PERSON...BUT YOU CAN'T TELL THEM MUCH."[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Cliff, I used to take your side whenever your poor grammar and skewed logic got you crossways with others on this site. But your opinionated rantings are really getting tiresome. At least you are consistent. You never let reality and good biology get in the way of unfounded opinions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]I have to laugh when you claim that DWR never lets us know about their meetings. If you took the time to look back through the postings on this board you would find at least a half dozen threads announcing DWR open houses...with times and places...and reminders. DWR has really worked hard to get the public out to these meetings and we have repeatedly posted the information to make people aware of them.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]And you claim that "they" never listen. When was the last time you tried presenting a well thought out, coherent and reasonable proposal to DWR? They do listen...and they turn angler proposals into online surveys. They carefully consider all of these proposals...and the results of the surveys. Then they add in the input from biologists and the real SCIENCE of each issue before making decisions.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]People like yourself who merely keep throwing out verbal hand grenades and accusations have no credibility with DWR...or with the members of this forum. If you want credibility and respect you have to earn it. You have pretty much lost whatever you may have once had on this forum.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]BETTER TO REMAIN SILENT AND BE THOUGHT A FOOL...THAN TO SPEAK (WRITE) AND REMOVE ALL DOUBT.[/#0000ff][/quote][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]+1 (especially the last sentence) [/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]Hey Cliff take two pills...a reality pill and a chill pill. Get off the DWR hammering rants. They do a good job with what they have. But they can't manage the unmanageable. They have no control over droughts, disease and other natural things that have far more effect on fish populations than fishermen. They have no warm water hatcheries for the fish you want them to plant...for your enjoyment. They have no money to buy them from other states and the fish from the other states are increasingly infected with VHS and other diseases we don't need in Utah.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It wasn't so long ago that everybody was bashing on you and you didn't like it. If you persist in starting these stupid attacks on DWR you are likely to find yourself back in the target zone yourself. We are all getting pretty tired of it.[/#0000ff][/quote]

Bingo +1
[signature]
I agree w/ everything said by Tubedude...

This is not a good place to whine, complain or hash out your thoughts on the DWR and their job performance Cliff. It's just not. We get on here to post pictures, read reports, etc... not to argue about fishery biology... especially when we've had these discussions with you for the past couple of years. Nothing good will ever come from bickering about it on this forum.

Utah will always be better suited to raise and stock trout. Like someone else suggested, bass just don't grow very big here (compared to other places in this country).

If I were you, I'd be glad they stocked fingerlings in a lot of the bass lakes in Utah. I can almost promise you the big specimens in our lakes love eating baby trout.
[signature]
lol the fish in yuba don't go through cycles! the water levels verey from year to year.. if the water levels stayed the same the fish would too.. has nothing to do with the fish other then there ability to spawn and have cover for the fri on any given year..

and if the lakes and ponds above yube still had fish other then carp in them that would help restock yube like it did years ago. now the only thing being restocked in yuba is carp! and the carp in the lower servir are predators they eat more perch fri then any other fish in there and get fat doing it..

the intire lower Servir dranige is 90% + boi-mass carp think about that and see what cycles the lake go's through in a drout year..
[signature]
Look at changing the structure, the forage and water levels vary. See if you can take on adding trees and reefs, and other structures. Try one lake at a time. Jordanelle had alot of is forage sustaining structure in the past now its a bath tub. Forage need fresh grass and trees to flourish. .02

[signature]