Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
vacation next week Lake Henry
we will be taking a family vacation end of next week. Going to Lake Henry. Need a heads up on what to expect. Thanks from Georgia
[signature]
Do you go by nottelybill because you are tight lipped? That would be my guess from your activity here. Pretty much a lurker except you are willing to ask for input. No offense, but if I knew something, I'm not sure I'd tell you based on what I'm seeing.......You want info, how about giving some info. Something to think about.....

Nottellyiwantabuggy......
[signature]
oddly enough most people I met in Boise where my son lives were very nice. I am surprised by such a rude reply. So here is some info. Lake Nottely stripers have gone to their summer pattern. Hopes this satisfies your hunger for info or were you just born being an a__ hole? I will find my info from a legitiment fishing site. So Long.
[signature]
Sorry if that seemed rude. Perhaps it was. Maybe I need a break from here.

It gets old having people come on here pumping for info but not willing to contribute. Precisely why I've gone mianly to PM's for sharing info. Would you feel any different if I had legitimate access to your favorite places? I doubt it.
[signature]
[quote nottelybill]oddly enough most people I met in Boise where my son lives were very nice. I am surprised by such a rude reply. So here is some info. Lake Nottely stripers have gone to their summer pattern. Hopes this satisfies your hunger for info or were you just born being an a__ hole? I will find my info from a legitiment fishing site. So Long.[/quote]

Actually his response fits to a large problem we have. But to answer your orig. Question, and this may seem rude but its the best advice, is search the Henrys lake threads in the Idaho section. It's one of the most thouroghly covered topics . In a nutshell, chance at big fish, lots of people, chance of some big fish, and a spot that Flys seem to out fish bait and spin fishermen.
[signature]
exactly what am I suppose to contribute. I assure you we will spend a load of money for the week.
In regards to giving out info you need to go on GON FORUMS. Everyone person on there is more than willing to share info. We even take new people out sometimes and show them around. There is a constant reporting of where and what is biting. I guess it's just a southern thing.
[signature]
Nottelybill, welcome to BFT Idaho style??? [shocked][crazy]

We do have some crusties but for the most part we're all good folks who would be glad to fish with you. Sounds like you have a great vacation ahead of you.

Let me start off with ..... Henrys is no secret!

Really the best advice is to look at the past posts with the search function. Here is one from this spring that talks somewhat about some of the lures, flies, and baits people have used. Just over look the long drawn out argument. [blush]
http://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/Idaho...305;page=1

The main problems with Henrys are the winds and the weeds. It is a shallow salad bowl of a lake. Once the weeds grow up it is harder to fish from the shore. The fishing is more confined to lanes and openings in the weeds. If you rent a boat or get out on the lake, try to do it early in the day as the wind comes up around lunch time. Storms also bring nasty winds. You do NOT want to be on the lake in the wind. It is shallow and all of the energy goes into making huge waves.

Check with the fly shops in the area. Not only on Henrys, but also on other places to fish in the area. That way if Henrys is having a bad hair day you can find other places to go on the river or even in the park.

Some of the shops also do regular reports on Henrys. Like this one:
http://www.henryslakeanglers.com/henrys-lake

When it comes down to it, we haven't heard any recent reports from the Lake. I am not sure anyone has fished it in the last few weeks as we have had some wild weather and especially wind this last month.

Good luck! I hope you enjoy your trip to Idaho, and get lots of great fishing in. [cool]
[signature]
thank you. I knew there was a real fisherman out there somewhere. I did know is was shallow and I will rent a boat but I am not a fly fisherman so I will have to make do. I will let y"all know how it turns out with me and grandkids ( 4 and 6) fishing with spinning gear.
[signature]
Worms will work
[signature]
what about flies?[reply][/reply]
[signature]
nottelybill doesn't fly fish. I am betting Damsels are out, so Damsel nymphs, haresears, RENEGADES and Chironomids. Orange, Pink, Gray and Green scuds, and my favorite, LEECHES.
Type II or Type III line plus a floating and an Intermediate should cover it.
IF you are a Bugger person, Hot Chocolate and Midnight Fire.
[signature]
your the best! thanks
[signature]
My best advice to you if you are renting a small boat and putting small kids in it is as follows. Ask someone where Reynolds pass is and keep an eye on it for clouds. If you see clouds get off the lake so you and your family aren't drowned in those small boats they send out with tourists without warning them about how bad the waves get with a quickness. This lake can get very ugly very fast. If the wind is already blowing when you get there, go to Jellystone and enjoy the day. Just my 2 cents worth.
[signature]
If you are bait fishing I would try the cliffs, and maybe in front of wild rose. If you are trolling spinners I would by Bill Schiess Book. It shows the basic holes at any given time of year. I would troll as close to the weed lines as you can afford.

The earlier post was do to some problems we have been having with people from the state who troll for info and never give anything back.

The color spinners just depends on the day. I like Panther Martins Orange body, gold blade or black blade.

Windriver
[signature]
Here's a Henry's Lake map on the Wild Rose Ranch site that will help you with some of the names and areas of the lake.

http://www.wildroseranch.com/interest/henrys_lake.htm
[signature]
I bet you could troll buggers even if you dont fly fish and welcome aboard I look forward to your report and experiance when you get back
[signature]