Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Great day at Huntington (report)
Petty4Life and I had the chance to fish Huntington res today. First off, a big thanks goes out to rgreenland and the fuzzyfisher for the helpful information. We were on the water at 0815, just as the sun was coming up over the tree tops. We started trolling with silver Kastmasters, one plain, the other with lime green reflective tape. I boated one fish, and had another hit. After 15-20 mins I started changing lures. I tried flatfish in various colors. Some colors didn't produce any hits, while others produced quite well. A flourescent yellow with orange dots produced a few fish for us. I had multiple hits and hook-ups on a perch colored flatfish, then finally we settled on plain silver. We used sizes F5 and F7, with identical results. We consistantly had hits, and boated multiple fish with these flatfish. We seemed to be getting an equal amout of hits, as we did actual hook-ups. It looked like the fish were just coming up and bumping the bottom (bottom while being trolled) part of the flatfish. Then others would nail it like there was no tomorrow. We had 2 seperate times when we had doubles on. At around 2:30 the wind picked up a little, and we decided to head home. It was an amazing day to be on the water. We boated a total of 26 fish. We decided to keep some this time around, just to see how the tigers taste. I hope fishing will continue to be like that all winter. We also trolled past a trio of beavers that were sunning themselves on the bank. I'll let Jason tell everyone out interesting boat launching/loading style.[Smile]
[signature]
wow what a day looked all over for a place to launch the boat. there wasnt one so we took the trailer off the jeep and pushed the trailer over the rocks and down to the water. beats caring it
[signature]
That explains how you got the trailer and boat to the water, but how about in reverse? Wasn't it a major pain getting that boat and trailer back up the hill?
[signature]
it took awhile to get it back up. next time ill use a winch
[signature]
I'm jealous. I have tried fishing for those tigers up at Huntington twice (once casting from shore for a couple hours, and through the ice last winter) and I have yet to catch one of those beautiful fish.
[signature]
your missing out kent they are very fun and beautiful fish
[signature]
Fortunately the hill wasn't too steep. But we did get a workout. One more thing, we were catching fish trolling speeds 1.0-1.3 MPH.
[signature]
Think I could push my boat and trailer down the hill? Just kidding -- if I did it would become a permanent fixture up there.
[signature]
deepest part of the lake was 27ft by the dam
[signature]
some of those tigers look like they are going through a mock spawn transformation. neat colors on them.
[signature]
I agree with you Xman. I think they were transitioning a little bit. There were no sperm/eggs in any of the fish we caught, so they defenitley were sterile.

I almost forgot, I landed one cutthroat on the perch flatfish. Only one we say all day. I wonder how long it has been since cutts were planted in there.
[signature]
i caught some browns in there last time i went. but for the darn of me i couldnt hook one of the tigers. i bet i missed 20 or so. so i still havent caught one. i would love a 3lber replica of one of those babies that would be awesome.
[signature]
BTW -- the 2003 proclamation, under Hunting Reservoir, has the following:

"CLOSED to the possession of cutthroat trout and trout with cutthroat markings."

So apparently whatever cutthroat are in there they want them to stay in there.
[signature]
hey great report and nice fish!! some of the fish we caught last week had eggs.. but the colors are just the way they are we caught some in may up there and they had the same colors as they do now but some dont have much color at all.. last time i was up there i seen some fly fishermen up there and they were getting some fish on the north end but the ones that they were getting looked small and they were not catching like we were out in the boat.. and you want to get your lure down about 10' to 15' deep for the bigger fish..

from the fuzzyfisher----------------------------fish on dudes
[signature]
Great pictures guys! Sounds like a productive day of fishing. Haven't fishined it for the tigers yet, but did manage to catch a few smaller ones at Dons Lake in the LaSal's. They certainly are beautiful. Thanks for sharing..
[signature]
Absolutely Wonderful....glad to see that you had such a great day and a successful trip. The Beaver you saw were there when I took my canoe up also. One followed me around, swimming just in front of the canoe for a while and then it would slap its tail and dive. I guess he didnt want me around.

You mentioned catching a cutt. I've only caught one or two out of there as well, I don't see them very often at all. And I have never seen a brown come out of there.

My apologies as well - I had to edit this post. At first glance it looked as if there were 9 fish on the stringer. However after a closer look (with my glasses on this time and counting the hooks on the stringer) I was set straight and could only count 8 fish. Glad to have been wrong.

Great job guys. I think we should all have a winter get together and do it through the ice!!

ROB

Rob
[signature]
Sure looks like you all had a really goo time, great pics
[signature]
Hey,Is there gas powered motors allowed on the lake?

I hunt out of a scanoe with a 5 hp motor on it,looks like it would work great up there.

Thanks for the pics and the posts,and all the info on what to use,I dont eat trout but would love to do some catch and realease fishing up there.Do they fight good like a rainbow.

Thanks for any info.

Tony[cool]
[signature]
some of them put up a real good fight. on saturday my father in law gerry was getting a little bored after not having a hit for 20 minutes or so. He was about to fall asleep when the drag on the trolling reel started screeming. I looked back and the tiger came a foot out of the water and jump three more times on the way into the boat.
[signature]
[#0000ff][size 2]I'm not sure, but it looks like they are in Petty's boat so I think you can. [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 2]Let's just holler at him! [/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 2][size 4][#ff0000]HEY PETTY![/#ff0000] [/size][/size][/#0000ff]

[#0000ff][size 2]Do they allow gas power boats on Huntington??????[/size][/#0000ff]
[signature]