Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a blustery day
Not much to report, but - yes - I got away from the computer, and did some fishing.
Met up with Jdawg and took a float in the wind and waves on - where else - Cutler. Chasing kitties - of course. Well, not a stellar day, and certainly nothing competition worthy, but after Jdawg had landed some fat-chunky mudders (glow in the dark yellow bellies) - he pulled in a pretty nice Cookie Cutter Channel.

[inline "Jdawgs Cookie.JPG"]

We moved along working the weeds and pockets, anchored up here, anchored up there - pitched in all directions. I was wondering if I shoulda taken him up on a sprinkle of baking soda . . . then I had a bobber down, and fish on. A cute little croaker.

[inline "Coyotes Croaker.JPG"]

windy days are not my most productive days. But it was fun to get out, get some fish tugs, and share some company.

Maybe next time, the river or the canyon.
Thanks for the outing, it was fun! I told you man, working that gas motor you were stinking up your worms! At any rate, still had fun and were able to pull a few into the boat. Still kicking myself for not keeping that cookie, I am seriously craving some catfish right now! Next time...
Hey Yote did the water level effect your fishing? They are sending more water down from Bear Lake so it should get better soon. The river is a little better on those windy nights it has plenty of trees and keeps the waves down. So what ya feeding the kitties these days? I actually caught some on carp cutlets when I ran out of worms so I may try them more often. Sorry didn't get a chance to run down and say hey. Later J
[signature]
Well, something affected my fishing - wind, water levels, gas on the hands - who knows. I think Jdawg slipped a banana into my tackle bag when I wasn't looking!
Does smelly jelly come in banana?

Funny though - bumped into a feller who said he was pitching a lemon wedge out for cats. Fragant - yes, they are pretty omnivorous - especially judging by all the green goo I've seen in some bellies. I know carp/koi type fish like a little "greens" in their diet. Used to give the goldfish zuccinni slices (anything to use up zuccinni - right!)

I've been going with the smorgasbord approach. A bit of worm, bit of shrimp. Maybe mix some minnows and crawler. We hit some pockets that usually hold up fatheads, so I threw some of those back at em.

You keep selling me on the river. Bet that canyon is typically windy, even if other places are calm - tall steep narrows!
Good to know the water'll be coming up some. Looked like some dredging had been done on some irrigation arms.

So jdawg - you craving more catfish before or after you tried the smoked kitty? [cool]
Cattin in the wind has to be the worst scenario I can think of, too much line movement. Even if you lay your pole down the waves keep it in constant motion. I've never had much luck for big kitties during windy periods. I like it dead calm or a torrential downpour with no wind or lightning. Gonna be heading out tonight, time to put one on the boards.
[signature]
Thought I sent a reply to this one, but maybe I forgot to hit send... Anyway yes the canyon or cut is breezy, I was there on a dead calm day in the valley and had a nice choppy canyon breeze down by the dam... Don't think that chop will be a big issue compared to what a ski boat would do down there with the vertical canyon walls you get a lot of return wave action that takes several passes to die down again. I think either place could work on a windy day since the canyon runs east-west most regular winds will pass over head I suspect and not give you too big of waves...

I hope to try drowning a worm on the river soon, but so far I haven't been able to get there at night after work... How have the bugs been? Time to take a bath in skeeter repellant before I go? They are starting to get nasty in the fields around the puddle lately so I imagine they are showing up in the marsh too... I'm hoping they aren't too bad yet, its a lot more fun not having to swat bugs all night... Later J
[signature]