Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone ever stillwater on Starvation?
Im going up to visit some family in Duchesne and was wondering what stillwater fishing Starvation has to offer, my dad always catches a bunch of bow and the occasional brown out of there with lures and bait but i was wondering if it was good with the fly? You think i could go out and strip some streamers and many nymphs? If anyone has any experience on it let me know. I'll be fishing some rivers up there as well. Let me know thanks
[signature]
I haven't been up there this summer (its to hard to drive by strawberry when its fishing this good Smile ) but we usually float it 2 or 3 times a year we use the same tactics we use at strawberry sinking line with big attractor and streamers , with nymph or mid droppers.
[signature]
Should fish the same as any other lake. But a chance at an Eye bonus.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]On calm mornings there are often numerous big rainbows swirling on the surface and they will respond to a wide range of patterns. But the bigger trout on flies are usually taken on larger patterns, like buggers, fished deeper. Green, black, tan and white all work at times. Early in the morning they will hit floating stuff. I have even seen them slurping in cottonwood fluff. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you have sonar watch for cruisers in the 15 to 20 foot depths over deeper water. But often there will be large fish hunting along the deep weed beds...up to 25 to 30 feet deep. Full sinking high density lines will get you down into the zone faster. And once you are in range you can drift with the breeze or slow kick to cover more water. The fish are all over but sometimes there are more active ones in one area more than others.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Starvation probably offers one of the best opportunities to catch several warm water species on flies. This time of year there are lots of smallmouth right up next to the rocks along the shore. They hit just about anything you want to offer them but something that looks like a small perch or a crawdad will get the most action. If you use a white bugger or streamer you will also pick up the occasional walleye if it drifts down into water at least 10 feet deep. If you want to target walleye you can fish parallel to the shoreline in the deeper waters. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The perch can sometimes move up fairly shallow too. But you will find more of the bigger ones in water deeper than about 15 feet. Doing a slow drift or drag with almost any pattern will get perch. But they are mostly small these days. Perch often respond best to flies with some bright colors in them...like chartreuse or orange. Ditto for walleye.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you want an all-day tussle move toward shallow shorelines and do some sight casting for carp. There are some tanks in Starvation and they can be tough to fool in the clear water. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]If you are really lucky you will get to rassle in a "chubosaurus". The few surviving chubs from before the time when smallies and wallies were put in Starvation are over 20 years old...and huge...and ugly. They will readily slurp in your flies. Yee haw.[/#0000ff]

[#0000ff]Probably one of the top flyrod prizes would be a big old brown. They are not nearly as common as rainbows but they do show up. Much better fishing for them early and late in the year when surface temps are cooler. But a few are caught fishing down near the bottom in deeper water (30 - 35') all through the summer.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[signature]