Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
causey kokanee
Im almost afraid to post this because of the vast amount of pressure this lake, as well as the south fork of the ogden river, receives.

My friends and I have made good use of some of the reports here in learning about other species, so I guess its only fair that I share some of what I have learned as well. [Image: happy.gif]

To make a long story short, I have spent a considerable amount of time targeting kokanee slamon at Causey. I have read every book, article, guide I could get my hands on in order to understand the behavior of these fish. I took a break from kokes for a few weeks to learn how to fly fish. On monday, a friend and I went to porcupine reservoir and succeeded in catching several small kokanee, my first ever being on that trip.

Friday morning, I put in at causey and eventually ended up catching a few tiger trout, 3 healthy kokes, and losing as many boatside. Surface temp was 67 degrees. Kokes were in 35-40 feet of water, and green, purple, and pink were the choice of the day. I cant find an affordable depth temp measuring device, so an aquarium thermometer, teardrop weight, and line counting reel get me my data LOL. Between that and the finder i was able to locate several schools. I feel very accomplished at finally getting the hang of these fish, and I know that I am only at the beginning of understanding.

Crowds are in force this weekend, so enjoy the lake. If a person is interested in Kokanee, I do have some advice: Kokanee fishing is very specialized. In order to be successful, you need to do your research and properly invest in gear. Spend the time out on the lake learning what works, and what doesnt, and definitely learn to use your equipment.
[signature]

[signature]
My 1st Kokanee came from that very lake. We limited out in less than 30minutes on the ice.

Those are some nice Kokanee for that lake...if only they all looked like that! They sure are tasty, if only we had a smoker when we got into them!
[signature]
Nice report and Pic Carl, thanks for sharing it. Because I can't get my bigger boat in at that lake I'm limited to fishing porcupine for small kokes but that is better than the long trip to the Gorge with the cost of getting up there so high. If you don't mind me asking, how were you fishing at Causey? Trolling or Jigging? It seems the kokes are always bigger at Causey[Smile] and the scenery isn't bad either.
WH2
[signature]
I sent you a PM. That lake receives so much pressure, but from my observations it is mostly from casual trout fishermen.

Every time I post on Causey I get pms recommending that I stop. I keep specific details to myself, but I spend enough time on that lake to know that the crowds will keep coming regardless of fishing reports.

Apparently when you fish pressured lakes you are automatically admitted to a secret fishing society, no outsiders allowed LOL.
[signature]
Nice report. A buddy and I have fished Causey for a couple years now specifically for the kokanee. He has a small flat bottom aluminum boat with two downriggers that we troll from. In order to avoid the crowds we get on the lake at first light and the majority of the time are off the lake in a couple of hours with our limit. I think that most of the people that hit that lake are casual trout fishers or people there for other things(kayaking, cliff jumping, etc.) It took us about half a dozen trips to the lake to get the kokanee dialed in. They like cold water and go deeper and deeper as the water temp rises throughout the summer. They are some good eating when smoked!
[signature]
Don;t let babies cry and tell you what to do. Be your own man and post what you want when you want. Hmm the things that go on in the PM world sometimes......
[signature]