Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Musky
My mom and I hit Pineview early Sat, before the wake makers got out of bed.

I ended up catching about 10 smallies between 10" and 14", a perch about 11 inches long and my first musky.

I didn't have anything long enough to measure him, but it seemed like he was around 30" give or take. I thought he must be a 20" smallie since he didn't break the line right away, but I just got lucky and hooked him right in the back corner of his mouth. Fun fish to catch. I can see why some of you target them.

Stay safe out there!
Congrats! That's on my bucket list this summer too.
[signature]
Easily one of the best looking fish in Utah in my opinion. Just amazing! Congrats on a great catch.

How is the water clearity? Thanks!
[signature]
3 or 4 feet down is about all you can see. Water temp is about 72.
Nice job and glad you got the lil one to the boat quickly. Nice job on handling per pic. Now trust me and not to to rain on your length estimation as we fish for these all the time...more like low-mid 20". We don't even bother taking them out of the water unhook and release. No 30" based on your pics and your size...trust me. Probably last years plant.

Also agreed PV is coming down fast equals murky water as we were up there also yesterday and Friday. For sure not like last year with a heavy snow pack...still pretty much full this time last year.

Seen and heard from other TM anglers of some very nice fish lost 45" plus floaters and on the shoreline. Who really knows the reason...However if you don't have the tackle, release tools, know the handling skills. Here in Utah warm water fighting the fish to exhaustion = DEATH especially to 40" plus fish. Be prepared if fishing PV for TM in warm water.

Again I DON'T WANT TO DISTRACT from your catch... nice job, nice fish, great job on handling...sincerely appreciate you knowing why a very small majority of Utah anglers chase these fish. The fish of 10,000 casts and a very respected fish by us and the minority other TM anglers.[Smile][Smile]
[signature]
I think your cautions are well directed, especially for the new musky angler. Summer heat becomes a tough time for them toothy beasts.

Part of why I got a good long-handled lip gripper, plus a nice hook grabber. Don't even have to boat 'em.

Some exciting fish to encounter - any shape or form!
good job man i still remeber my first muskie like it was yesterday
[signature]
Nice work! I won't lie to you, your next one will be just as exciting!! K2 hit the nail on the head as far as being prepared when fishing for them. The more prepared you are, the better chance the fish has and the better chance you have of coming away without bleeding.[Wink] (just a great reminder for all of us, myself included.)

Congratulations man, nice fish!!!
[signature]