Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear Lake Info
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I recieved an e-mail from Scott Tolentino, a UDWR biologist at Bear Lake, with some great current info on BL fishing. Here is what he wrote me:[/size][/font]

[size 2]Hello,
I just checked the Big Fish page and noticed no one has written in about the fishing up here since Sept 23. FYI...the fishing has been good to excellent depending on the day. I saw "Crestliner" up here last Sat. and he caught a couple of fish, however, many of the 16+ boats on the rockpile last Saturday were doing well. The macs are right on top of the pile in 31 feet of water. Jigging with tube tipped with cisco. Seems like they staged off the pile (65-75 feet) a little earlier than last year. Also, trolling off Cisco Beach right on the break-line from
shore has been producing well using U-20 and larger flatfish. Also deep diving lures with rattles are working. Finally, the trollers just off the marina are also catching fish. The best bet for macs has been in 7-12 feet of water to the South of the marina to the point off Garden City. If fishermen are trolling any deeper, they just don't seem to be catching as many fish. I plan to update the BL fishing report from via the UDWR website, but it will take another week to get that posted. Just thought you and the rest of the BL crowd would want to know whats
going on.
Scott[/size]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Thanks, Scott for sharing! Don't feel shy about posting this info yourself. We are always happy to have UDWR folks involved here. [/size][/font]
[signature]
This will be good info for our pending trip to the bear with Lundman, WH2 & old_coot
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]This is great spawn fishing info. If you guys go out after the spawn, you can go to more traditional spots for the macks and cutts. Old Coot and WH2 both have a pretty good idea of those places. I'm also sure there will be some more reports before you guys are off to chase BL fish. Anyway you look at it, with that crew you can't have a bad time![/size][/font]
[signature]
OK I am starting to get jelous. I see these pics and hear the reports and now I am starting to get Sad cause I have never fished it. Hell I have only ever been there but once in my life. WHat does a guy got to do to buy a trip :}

Really how do you get those macs. I hear alot about rabbit fur jigs and using the cisco. but is the jigging technique that of a pro or are they not to finiky.

Whats the scoop man :}
[signature]
FishFearMe,

I will share what little information I have. First off, Bear Lake is one huge lake, and like all large lakes, over 80% of the lake (not always the same area) does not have any macks in it, at any given time. Especially at certain times of the year, a good fishfinder is extremely helpful in locating the fish. I have never had any success trolling for them, and vertical jigging for them is so much fun, that if I can catch them vertical jigging, I would just as soon never catch them trolling. I imagine at certain times they are not too finicky; however, I quickly learned while fishing with Bear Lake Mack (I have been fortunate enough to fish with him twice) that there is much more to vertical jigging than one would ever imagine. I did my best to imitate what he was doing; however, both trips he got well over double the number of bites that I got, and he also caught the largest fish. As far as what to jig with, that is a matter of debate. I have only jigged with tube jigs, with a piece of minnow on there for flavor; however, I know others jig it differently, and I am going to try different techniques in the future.
[signature]
Hey guest please join our forum and become a member so we can get to know you and enjoy your reports!
[signature]