Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scadden Renegade and a Spin Fisherman
Thought I would try to give a little different perspective on using the Renegade. I'm a veteran with many decades of spin fishing experience. I have a couple of small boats...a 9 foot Klamath that I use with a battery and an electric motor, and a 12 foot boat that I use with a small gas motor. I've had round float tubes, and a Fish Cat 4 Deluxe (which I really like).

I bought the Renegade because I wanted a light pontoon that I could launch almost anyplace. I loved the idea of oars...to cover more water, fish the other side of the lake, etc. without having to use a motor and battery.

I purchased the Renegade this spring, and have used it about 10 times. I fish with it the following ways:

1. Rowing and trolling, mostly with Kastmasters and Dardevles. I love to seek out fish this way.

2. Finding fish in an area and fan casting.

3. Dropping the anchor and bait fishing (power bait, worms, or salmon eggs.

I love rowing the Renegade. I really like the bags. They can carry a lot of gear and don't get in my way while I row. I have only used it on stillwater so far. The standard oars have been fine. The pontoon is so light that I can row long distances and not get tired. I have even had to row against strong winds (at least 30 mph) and it hasn't been much of a problem. I may upgrade the oars someday, but I'm not sure that is necessary.

Fins or no fins? I have a pair of the Omega fins that I use with the Fish Cat. They are great when they are the only propulsion (no oars). I don't use them with the Renegade, though because they are very long and too difficult to get onto the foot rest bar. So I use an old, short pair of Caddis fins with the Renegade. I move the pontoon with the oars and just use the fins to turn slightly left or right. The Caddis fins are fine for this purpose.

I keep it simple. A mesh bag filled with rocks is my anchor. It probably weighs 8 to 10 pounds. The Scotty Rod Holder works well. I haven't found a good way to attach my "Fishin' Buddy" style Humminbird, but that's okay. I really want portability and not many attachments.

One way that I probably use it differently than most people is as "cross lake transportation". I have some favorite bank fishing spots on the opposite sides of lakes in Mono and Alpine counties. If I'm not doing well while fishing from the Renegade, I head to some of these spots and beach the vehicle. I then use two rods (legal in California with the purchase of a special stamp). I bait fish with one rod and cast with the other. I catch and release. Shelton Hooks allow me to do this with bait.

That's about it. Hope this helps some fellow anglers.

Brookies
[signature]
I also have a renegade since I purchased it it has lead me to many places I would have never seenthe frame less.boat folds up and fits in the bag it came with bags/oars electric pump /hand pump and fishing tackle. loaded on the 4-wheeler and off to high mountain lakes and the scenery is mind boggling.the fishing is excellent. the boat blows up in about 3 minutes. it is so easy to oar and you fill safe even in white caps. the best money i have ever spent!
[signature]
Great write up. I am on my third year.
I have the Light Speed oars and I too have the Omega's. I do have the motor mount as well, but you report is dead on. I also have the Caddis finds as well as Force Fins, but I use the Omega's. They require a little pulling to get feet on the bar, but easy enough to flip them under it...to me. I get the smaller fin idea though, specially cause you do row. I do a lot more kicking then rowing.

The Assault is just as much fun but a little smaller and lighter.
[signature]
It might blow up in three minutes but by the time you hook everything up you're way over 3 minutes. Closer to ten. But still a great boat except the seat disagrees with my back side. I cut down a lawn chair and tried it out today. Better but still need to come up with something else.
[signature]
Hey there Brookies !

Hummingbird makes a strap on holder to mount your fishing buddy finder to tubes and toons calles a BFT-1 . It works pretty well as long as you take a piece of foam pipe insulation about 4 inches long and wrap it around the transducer wand directly under the case head to keep the unit from wobbling while setting in the cradle.
[signature]
[quote OldTroller]It might blow up in three minutes but by the time you hook everything up you're way over 3 minutes. Closer to ten. But still a great boat except the seat disagrees with my back side. I cut down a lawn chair and tried it out today. Better but still need to come up with something else.[/quote]

That is too bad. Kinda takes away from the small package having to pack around a lawn chair. Dave does offer three different seats. I have the Padded, the cloth high back (which I also used on my Cardiac Canyon) and the molded plastic. I personally do not like one better than the other. They all feel pretty good, but we are all different.
I like the fact the Renegade and the Assault, even the Assault XX pack up small in a suit case: This suitcase contains one boat, life vest, seat, apron, foot bar, and Oars:
[Image: IMG_4233.jpg]

But, at times, I echo Troller on the time to set up. But, the fact I can haul two of these in my small car is way cool.
I do prefer, however, the fact we have a flatbed trailer that will haul any two or three (there is one more tier for our trailer) of the toons. We do use it when hauling the X5's, but any of these boats will work. Quick and easy to me. Wished we did it more often, plus I can pull it with my small car.

[Image: Rides320.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2957.jpg]

But these boats pack up small too

[Image: IMG_2466.jpg]
[signature]
You can't beat the portability of the Renegade. The stability is amazing too. You got some sweet set ups goddess.
[signature]
I agree on the best money I spent in the last couple of years comment. Nice to have a boat big enough for larger waters but small enough to take on a wheeler to high mountain lakes as well.
[signature]
I thought you had the Escape? Did you get a Reny?
That new ATV you got is totally nice!
[signature]
Thanks for all of the comments. I just got back from a nine day trip to the Eastern Sierras. Spent most of the time hiking and fishing alpine lakes with my granddaughter, but did get to use the Renegade some. A few comments:

1. To attach an anchor, a rod holder, and a fish finder does take a while. But to me, it is worth the time spent.
2. Flygoddess...I think I'll finish this trout season with the standard oars and switch to the light speed oars for the 2013 season.
Togiakfloatman...I'm going to try your foam pipe insulation tip. Thank you.
3. The best fishing I had on this trip was at Ellery Lake in Mono County, CA. I strong wind came up when I was on the lake, and I headed for a steep, rocky point inaccessible to bank fisherman. I beached the craft and landed (and released) about 20 good sized trout. There is no ramp at this lake, and it is only possible to launch an inflatable. My fishing success wasn't from the Renegade, but I could only access my fishing spot by using the Renegade.
4. I came upon an excellent web site for inflatable fishing craft fishermen who use fish finders. The site is Floattubefanatics. They offer a strap-on fish finder product that worked very well for me on this trip. It allowed me to use a better fish finder than my Humminbird 240*160. Check the site if interested. They are in Canada, and the owner, Wade, is very helpful.

Thanks again, for all of the comments and "tight lines".

Brookies
[signature]