Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crawfishing
Headed out tonight I will post pictures and info tomorrow.....
[signature]
Sorry no photos camera was dead [mad]. But there was a lot of Crawfish in every size but most had not molted and had there ugly old black shells on them.. The kids still had a ball catching them. We was at Strawberry Res just around the Docks.....
[signature]
I've been patiently waiting your report. We were up there a few weeks ago and had a blast! Were you on the Strawberry Bay side or the Soldier Creek side? We hit the Bay side and even though the water was down a bit, we still found a "few" that couldn't resist the ever enticing chicken leg! I took them home (dead of course), soaked overnight, boiled, peeled, and enjoyed!!! Makes my mouth water just thinking about it...hmmmm...I forsee a trip to Strawberry in the VERY near future! Or perhaps Wendover for some crab legs...
[signature]
Not molted is good. Like a hard shelled lobster.
When they molt the new shell comes in bigger than the animal is so it has room to grow. After molting the claws and tail, although appearing to be bigger are not filled with meat.

The best are when they are so close to molting that they have a white line down the back, this is the weak point where the shell will split. The line being visable means that molting will come soon and the shell you see is bursting with meat.
[signature]
We spent an hour or so at soldier creek catching crawdads. Caught plenty for a good sized batch of crawfish, corn and potatoes. Most were caught on a chicken leg and string. A measley 5-6 in the crawdad traps during the same time we caught 150 or so with chicken legs. Kids had a great time catching, but couldn't bring themselves to eat them when cooked. Definately a great 4th of july holiday.
[signature]
Does aanyone know if there are Crawfish in Deer Creek?
[signature]
Yes they are in there but not a ton of them. The fish in there keep the ones that are brave enough to come out ate up.

Watched some people down in the Walsberg bay trying for them but they were fishing in the wrong area and didn't notice them catching any.

If you do decide to go after them there at least find an area that has some spots that the crawfish can hide. The people that I was watching was fishing on a part of the shore that was little more than sand and gravel. If a poor crawfish gets anywhere near there the small mouths will have it slicked up before they can get to the chicken leg.

Good luck.
[signature]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
As was said, find a rocky area to try for them. If you can, go at night.
They come out under the cover of darkness.
While you r fishing for them at night be sure to throw one out for walleye bait. Use a slip bobber with the crawfish about 1 foot off bottom on a 4 circle hook.
[signature]
Sorry it took so long to get back as I drive long haul and have been gone. Anyway we was at the strawberry bay marina and there where lots of crawfish but a lo of small ones and a lot that had eggs under there tails so we would let them go.. But it was easy to catch 100 or so in about a hour even with letting so many go... I have also caught good numbers at East Canyon res, Flaming George, and Lake Powell.
[signature]
Couldnt keep em off our worms at Hyrum rez late June. Making a trap out of an old bird cage to focus on getting enough to eat. I'll update when I follow through.
[signature]