Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aother boring post
Went to the Weeb. with Sparky below Echo again to catch dinner. In 2 1/2 hr. caught 7 (6 rainbows and 1 brown), between 15-16 in. Brought home dinner. Caught em all on a Blue Fox Gold. Water, very high and some what off color at 611 scfs. I find it a wonderfully lucky to go somewhere and catch nice trout, no matter what the conditions are and Sparky has a ball as usual. [Smile][Smile]
Question - why is it that the browns have red meat and the rainbows, normal color? I'm, assuming it's what they eat, but what do they at that makes it red?
[signature]
The color of the meat could have to do with the health of the fish..or age?? I noticed a few years back that if I brought home a brown from high up in the canyon (ogden) the the meat was usually pink or red like salmon. But the ones i caught lower through town had white meat and tasted like mud.

Also 3 years ago i fished the club you fish with a friend who was a member. I keep 1 brown and 2 bows. The brown and one of the bows had red meat and the smaller of the bows was white..I remember this clearly because I thought it was kind of odd.
[signature]
Did a google search right after i wrote that because i was curious too.. Seems the answer is diet.

"Why do some trout have white meat while others have pink or red flesh?
The adage that you are what you eat is very true for trout. Trout with red or pink flesh have most likely been eating copepods or shrimp. Insect larvae usually result in trout with pale yellow flesh. In lakes where the trout eat black leeches, even the skin of the trout can become quite dark."
[signature]
The Pink/orange flesh indicates that the fish has been in the stream for a long enough period that it has been foraging on scuds/shrimp. The carotene in the invertabrate permeates the flesh coloring it. The pale white flesh indicates that the fish is a planter and has been eating Purina Fish chow !!! Very seldom will you see a fish that has been in a stream or lake for any period of time that doesn't have pinkish flesh. Planters always have that pale, tastless flesh. Crayfish also contribute carotene to the diet, so the cuts, bows, and kokes will take on the pink/orange coloring.
[quote Therapist]The Pink/orange flesh indicates that the fish has been in the stream for a long enough period that it has been foraging on scuds/shrimp. The carotene in the invertabrate permeates the flesh coloring it. The pale white flesh indicates that the fish is a planter and has been eating Purina Fish chow !!! Very seldom will you see a fish that has been in a stream or lake for any period of time that doesn't have pinkish flesh. Planters always have that pale, tastless flesh. Crayfish also contribute carotene to the diet, so the cuts, bows, and kokes will take on the pink/orange coloring.[/quote]

Which is interesting on many levels. Look at a smallie whose diet is primarily crayfish. Their meat wont turn pink.
Fish are crazy cool. I freakin love everything about them.
[signature]
[quote Therapist]The Pink/orange flesh indicates that the fish has been in the stream for a long enough period that it has been foraging on scuds/shrimp. The carotene in the invertabrate permeates the flesh coloring it. The pale white flesh indicates that the fish is a planter and has been eating Purina Fish chow !!! Very seldom will you see a fish that has been in a stream or lake for any period of time that doesn't have pinkish flesh. Planters always have that pale, tastless flesh. Crayfish also contribute carotene to the diet, so the cuts, bows, and kokes will take on the pink/orange coloring.[/quote]

PS- same easing spoonbills and flamingos turn pink.....
[signature]